p25 Encryption is not like the old voice Guard on conventional channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
Depends on which scanner you are using. You posted your statement in both Uniden and Whistler forums. Whistlers have the option to sound a busy signal on encryption but I believe the latest Uniden scanners skip over encrypted transmissions. Are you using a Uniden that has a busy signal for encryption?

pb_lonny

Sorry, I don't understand your post and the question? Yes different scanners handle it in different ways.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that is right digital encryption is not like the old voice guard which could be decrypted. Digital encryption cannot be bypassed unless you have CIA, NSA, Special Access Program level of money and talent.

michaelbrown2018

Premium Subscriber
this what Digital encryption sounds like

Attachments

• p25 Encryption sounds like.zip
    200.2 KB · Views: 21

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe that is what encryption actually sounds like. Rather, it is the sound that your scanner/receiver makes when it determines the signal it receives is encrypted. (For example "Beep Beep Beep" from your smoke detector isn't the sound of smoke, its the sound made when smoke is detected.)

While the newer models of scanners have "things" that either skip or give busy signals when encryption is detected, older models will receive and "hear" the actual encrypted signal. What kind of sound it makes depends on the type of encryption used such as ADP (an awful racket that makes you want to turn the scanner off) or AES/DES which sounds like a loud hiss.

mancow

Database Admin
Sound. What sound? Sound as pertains to what demodulation scheme? It would sound really wild in SSB, or DSB, or AM or... but that is irrlevant.

It sounds like any other P25 signal if demodulating using FM. It sounds like someone cut up a cassette tape and randomly pieced it together if P25 demodulated/vocoded.

Status
Not open for further replies.