P25 for the Highway Patrol ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderblue

Do the members of the Highway Patrol have to the listen to the digital p25 transmissions like I do on my 4 high dollar scanners? A audio transmission is good sometimes is bad sometime. Was going to order another one for another vehicle but damn. I hate it when it sounds like someone is drowning in the water.

BaLa

It's really not that bad. Especially when compared to a lot of other Systems.

Of course it sounds better.

Scanner $500-600.
Think they're running Motorola APX Radios
Want to say they're $2000+
It's still digital of course.
The system is also not built with Scanner listeners in mind.
If it sounds really bad on their radios they can make some adjustments

iamhere300

The audio quality on the system is really quite good, but remember too there is a lot more processing and error correcting going on. The radio will normally have better reception than a scanner.

I use on the system primarily 5 radios.

1. Icom IC-F9511 mobile
2. Icom IC-F9011 portable
3. Tait 9150 portable
4. Tait 9150 mobile
5. Motorola APX dual band mobile.
and about to put on a Motorola XTS.

All have very good clear audio, with little degradation.

My BC996 has much poorer audio - not knocking the scanner, but it is what it is.

scannerowner

P25 always sounds like they're under water...Even on their radios it sounds that way, even though it's not as noticeable.

teufler

I read a thread by UPMAN to improve audio by changing band plans to FM rather than NFM. Audio is vastly improve. At least the audio has stopped sounded like talking under water. Under Freescan, under scanner then open band plan. changed 840 to 870 to fm, then 151 to 172 to FM. This takes care of all my 800 mhz p25, and the vhf p25 stuff. Its a small fix,

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I hate it when it sounds like someone is drowning in the water.

I'm using a BCD396XT to listen to Troop I. They sound pretty good. No one is drowning. Idk what that tells us. Either your Troop has bad vocoding or your radio needs looked at?

sphipps

Troop D sounds very good via MOSWIN on the Granby site. I think it has the best sounding audio of all the digital systems located around here... though my 396XT seems to do a better job decoding it than my PRO-197.

Status
Not open for further replies.