P25 Ham repeater 444.775 Los Alamos

Status
Not open for further replies.

wd9cms

The WD9CMS UHF repeater on 444.775 +5 MHz has been mixed mode for about 3 years. It requires 131.8 Hz PL for analog and a NAC of $293 for Project 25 Digital access. If you are in the Los Alamos ( including parts Santa Fe, most of 84/285 from Santa Fe to Espanola and north, St Road 14 from Golden to mile marker 10, etc) area please feel free to give it a try. I just thought I would post since the interest in digital modes on the ham bands is on the upswing. D-Star is not the only digital mode and most public safety and federal agencies are running P25 for interoperability (if it makes sense or not). If you want to experiment or just hear what it sounds like give it a try.

Sincerely,

Bill

WD9CMS

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Would love to play on a P25 repeater in the ABQ area. If I get up that way I will be sure to take my radio with me. Maybe they will add that info to the data base..... Thanks for the info.

SCPD

QRT
Amateur radio does not use P25 protocol as far as I know. Has there been a change here? Scanners cannot pick up D-Star and the other amateur radio only digital protocols, am I correct?

Last edited:

nd5y

Amateur radio does not use P25 protocol as far as I know. Has there been a change here? Scanners cannot pick up D-Star and the other amateur radio only digital protocols, am I correct?

Hams can use almost any digital protocol. The only one scanners can receive is P25. The rules haven't changed recently. There are a lot of P25 and other digital mode ham repeaters around the country.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Thats true there are lots of P25 ham repeaters out there and yes you can buy a scanner that can do P25 also. Rat Shack even sells them and many more. Soon everyone will be digital

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber

As amateur radio operators, we can play with pretty much any mode we want, provided it hasn't been specifically prohibited by the FCC. There's D-STAR repeaters, P25 repeaters, a couple IDAS/NXDN repeaters, I even know of one ProVoice repeater.

That's what the hobby has always been partly about. Experimentation with the newest and latest technology, right along side old reliable methods. Bravo to your group and your new P25 repeater. Good to see someone continuing to doing something different.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks, this is great information. I meant to say that D-STAR cannot be demodulated with any scanner.

wd9cms

As everyone has indicated it is OK to use almost any digital mode. Thanks W2MJR I am trying my best to experiment with different modes and keep people interested in using repeaters. Its interesting to have the ability to change between analog and digital mode when you are in a noisy area. The digital mode will usually make it through very clear. The repeater is mixed mode which allows both analog and digital to be repeated so you can make a quick comparison tests. One of the drawbacks of a D-Star repeater is that it only works in digital mode and does not support analog.

Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.