P25 in Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncledenny48

Hi I have a 346XTC does this have the capability to upgrade to receive the P25 sites in Portland?? if not will any scanner that has the p25 capability work...can't really afford a new scanner at this time. Thank you for your help.

Baker845

That scanner you have is analog scanner, so you can't monitor the new P25 system in Portland. There are a lot new scanners that can. The one thats basic which is the cheapest i have seen is the BCD-325P2 which will monitor the Portland P25 system.The other 2 handheld scanners are Whistler TX-1 and BCD-436HP. These scanners cost little more then the BCD-325P2 scanner.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, all the unencrypted radio traffic that is carried on the Portland P25 system is also still broadcast on the old 800 MHz analog system. According to another poster in this forum, the city/county intends to keep the analog system online for at least the next couple of years to allow interoperability with neighbor counties that are still analog. Save your pennies for now, and get a P25 radio when you actually need one. Hopefully by then the scanner makers will have better solutions for P25 simulcast distortion, which can cause reception issues for current models with the Portland system.

ScottPDX

Premium Subscriber
Continuance of Analog 800 - Portland Public Safety

As far as I know, all the unencrypted radio traffic that is carried on the Portland P25 system is also still broadcast on the old 800 MHz analog system. According to another poster in this forum, the city/county intends to keep the analog system online for at least the next couple of years to allow interoperability with neighbor counties that are still analog. Save your pennies for now, and get a P25 radio when you actually need one. Hopefully by then the scanner makers will have better solutions for P25 simulcast distortion, which can cause reception issues for current models with the Portland system.

While I have two Digital P25 radio's, I have returned to using them for Analog 800 reception of Portland Public Safety. No Simulcast distortion frustration and great reception all the time. I'm glad for the continuance of 800 Analog.

ScottPDX

jparks29

John McClane
While I have two Digital P25 radio's, I have returned to using them for Analog 800 reception of Portland Public Safety. No Simulcast distortion frustration and great reception all the time. I'm glad for the continuance of 800 Analog.

ScottPDX

XTS5000 is a cure for what ails you.

They're actually cheaper than most scanners these days....

omlbed

Premium Subscriber
How do you program them? Are they user programmable? Is there software available?

Thanks!

jparks29

John McClane
How do you program them? Are they user programmable? Is there software available?

Thanks!

Programming software. Yes, with software. Yes, there's software.

:D

I was monitoring the 2 PDX systems, seems there's a ton of stuff not on the P25 side...

PaulNDaOC

A reliable source tells me that key talk groups will be analog for at least several years while outside agencies upgrade their radio stock to p25 part two capable

bears3312

a reliable source tells me that key talk groups will be analog for at least several years while outside agencies upgrade their radio stock to p25 part two capable

when well cresa release there new system they have it online
thanks bears3312

Baker845

I'm sure when they get done with testing ect, they will put the new system in service. It's not something that's rushed.

bears3312

I'm sure when they get done with testing ect, they will put the new system in service. It's not something that's rushed.

thanks baker 845 they were saying can u hear me now just little while ago one the channels has a robot aumated sound its going to be interesting
thanks bears3312

Not to side track this topic, but I have the 436HP. Do I need to monitor both the P25 & the Moto system? Or, if I monitor just the P25 system will I be able to hear everything? I thought some users were still using both. i.e. Portland PD was making some TX on the P25 and others on the Moto.

Thanks.

pdevasto

Premium Subscriber

ScottPDX

Hi Scott and all, my name is Pete and I'm a newcomer to Portland, living in the SummerPlace 55+ community in Northeast Portland. I have one P25-capable scanner, an older PSR500, and a Pro-96 that I use for analog systems. I've noticed that at least the Portland Police Bureau only seems to be using the P25 system. Am I missing something? I'd love to get a more current update on when different groups will be cutting over to P25 if anybody knows.

Baker845

PSR-500 and Pro-96 does work on hearing the p25 system. Those are both Phase 1 scanners. But keep in mind when Portland upgrades to phase 2 you wont hear them on your scanners. But i understand they are still using analog system.

PaulNDaOC

Pete, it will be years before the analog transmissions end for core dispatch talkgroups. Analog is being kept for agencies like FBI, OLCC, OSP,BNSF that have older radios,to ensure continued communications.It will remain this way for at least several more years.

That will not be the case for all the tac channels.

But to hear calls dispatched by BOEC nobody needs to rush out and get a new scanner immediately.

ScottPDX

Premium Subscriber
Pete, Welcome to Portland

Hi Scott and all, my name is Pete and I'm a newcomer to Portland, living in the SummerPlace 55+ community in Northeast Portland. I have one P25-capable scanner, an older PSR500, and a Pro-96 that I use for analog systems. I've noticed that at least the Portland Police Bureau only seems to be using the P25 system. Am I missing something? I'd love to get a more current update on when different groups will be cutting over to P25 if anybody knows.

Hello Pete,
Well the others have seemed to answer your questions. I have upgraded my Radio Shack PRO-668 P25 II to Whistler 1080 version 4.5 firmware (CPU 3.0) and now am very pleased with it's performance on Portland P25.

I am using this page as my reference for current Portland P25 Public Safety information:

Here: Oregon Trunking Systems

and Here: Portland Public Safety (P25) Trunking System, Portland, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies

I might not have to put up that rooftop antenna after all.
ScottPDX

bears3312

Hello Pete,
Well the others have seemed to answer your questions. I have upgraded my Radio Shack PRO-668 P25 II to Whistler 1080 version 4.5 firmware (CPU 3.0) and now am very pleased with it's performance on Portland P25.

I am using this page as my reference for current Portland P25 Public Safety information:

Here: Oregon Trunking Systems

and Here: Portland Public Safety (P25) Trunking System, Portland, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies

I might not have to put up that rooftop antenna after all.
ScottPDX

Hi guys I'm getting a 436HP once it comes I have alot work to this radio I payed lot money on it please give some hints
Thanks Bears 3312

bears3312

hi guys i'm getting a 436hp once it comes i have alot work to this radio i payed lot money on it please give some hints
thanks bears 3312

hi guys my radio is here very imprest with the radio
my 436hp is very good siganl where i live
thanks bears3312

Status
Not open for further replies.