P25 on a PRO 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mom25

I got a message yesterday from a listener of a feed I have for Phx Pd that said I needed to adjust my P25 setting for better audio? How do I adjust this setting manually? The feed has sounded fine and now all,of a sudden it isn't? I have tried moving it around but that doesn't seem to make it any better?
Thank you

Volume turned up too high perhaps? Are you feeding the audio into your computer from the headphone jack of your Pro 106?

The audio does sound a bit clipped, and sounds like your reception is marginal on some transmissions.

Mom25

I only have the volume just above the off. The reception has been good until yesterday? Does it change like that? Can you adjust the P25 setting manually?

RickS31

As far as I know, there are no adjustments for the P25 function itself. It's digital and is reliant on the vocorder and reasonable reception of the encoded signal (P25 has built-in digital error correction to a point).

Has anything changed in your setup? If not, then more than likely something else in your reception path and/or the agency you're tuned to has. If you can't verify that with another radio, the only other thing may be a degradation of the scanner's circuitry. Unusual but known to happen.

Mom25

No..nothing has changed at all. What is a degradation of the scanners circuitry and how do I fix it?

RickS31

Degradation may occur if there was a marginal component that may have gotten more marginal causing loss of receiver sensitivity, slight off tuning, etc., etc. Short of having very expensive test equipment, the service manual and the expertise to use them, there is no user fixable means. If it's determined that it is the radio, it would have to be sent to Radio Shack service center. If not under warranty, it will cost you depending on what may be wrong with it.

Again, that's the final step after you have eliminated everything else.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Isn't that a simulcast CQPSK system? Maybe something popped up around you that is degrading the signal. THat is more likely than the scanner itself degrading.

RickS31

I agree, which is why I mentioned that this would be highly unusual and absolutely the last thing to place blame on. Probably under the 2-5% probability of that being the problem.

Barring any changes to the radio like location, antenna change, dropping it, or new nearby construction, the most probable cause is a change to the radio system you're monitoring. This can be their addition of new antennas, changes in band due to rebanding with CCs remaining the same (this happened in my area) or lots of other reasons. Couple of things you can do is take the scanner for a short ride and see if the reception improves in other near locations, for one. Try another radio, if available, to verify if it's your location or the receiver.

Lots of options to try first.

rwier

had a few Margaritas so i don't know if this is on topic but:

The last 18-24 hours my 2 800's have basically crapped out on the phoenix pd p25 system. I now have hope that it was not "user incompetency", lol.

hp-1(e) not affected

Last edited:

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Try this from the computer side. If you have both a microphone receptacle and an input receptacle, switch the scanner to the other one. Mic inputs are wanting a very low unamplified signal that a mic would give, but the Input receptacle is adjusted on the board for amplified outputs like tape, phono, cd, etc.

And in this same vein, some pc programs with audio can adjust the window-display volume controls, take a look at your Windows volume settings for input and for overall volume. Look at all advanced settings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.