• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 One-Frequency Trunk vs. Conventional P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

trunker

Can someone please explain the difference between a P25 One-Frequency Trunk system and a P25 conventional channel?

Does the 1 Tr system have a control channel?

W2SJW

Database Admin
I just tried looking some stuff on Google for you about this, and did not come up with much success. Uniden's TWIKI has this to say:
"Single-frequency P25 systems are almost identical to standard P25 systems, except they only have one site per system and the system can use a P25 network address."

Last edited:

mikey60

Can someone please explain the difference between a P25 One-Frequency Trunk system and a P25 conventional channel?

The difference between them is in the data that's transmitted along with the voice.

A P25 Conventional system basically puts all radios on the system on a single talkgroup using a NAC to control access.

A P25 single channel trunked system also adds the concept of conventional talkgroups, where you must have both the correct NAC and the correct Talkgroup ID to hear and participate in the conversation. There is no control channel on a single frequency trunked system, all signaling of talkgroups is done in the data stream that is transmitted along side the voice data.

Mike

W2SJW

Database Admin
That's what I thought as well - I have heard that the TSA does that with the numerous simplex channels that they have in their portables - multiple channels with the same frequency, but different NAC & talkgroups assigned to each...

trunker

That's what I thought as well - I have heard that the TSA does that with the numerous simplex channels that they have in their portables - multiple channels with the same frequency, but different NAC & talkgroups assigned to each...

That's my situation exactly. I have 3 TSA freqs (with a known NAC on one that is 001) programmed in my Pro-106. But I'll only get about 2 or 3 hits a day if I leave the radio in hold mode on the frequency.

I've just acquired a 996XT and I'm wondering how to program those freqs into the radio; as a conventional P25 or a P25 1 freq trunk system?

I could try both ways to see witch way works when they transmit, but only if I sat in front of the radio all day. Not sure if 'Auto Search and Store' would catch it correctly.

ecps92

TSA has been known to use Simplex [might you be too far away?] vs the Repeater, also TSA has migrated many of their radios from the P25 [Supervisors] to [same band] Analog radios [ICOM] with Speech Inversion encryption.

That's my situation exactly. I have 3 TSA freqs (with a known NAC on one that is 001) programmed in my Pro-106. But I'll only get about 2 or 3 hits a day if I leave the radio in hold mode on the frequency.

I've just acquired a 996XT and I'm wondering how to program those freqs into the radio; as a conventional P25 or a P25 1 freq trunk system?

I could try both ways to see witch way works when they transmit, but only if I sat in front of the radio all day. Not sure if 'Auto Search and Store' would catch it correctly.

trunker

I'm about 4 miles from the airport and when I do get a hit it's loud and clear-voice.

Maybe if I just spent a few hours at the airport I'd get more hits.

WX1N

Premium Subscriber
I'm about 4 miles from the airport and when I do get a hit it's loud and clear-voice.

Maybe if I just spent a few hours at the airport I'd get more hits.

ecps92 mentioned that they may use analog and digital on the same channel. If you have the channel programmed with a NAC, or if it is programmed as a single-frequency trunked system, then I believe you will not pick up an analog transmissions on that channel.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
APCO 25 also allows for conventional talk-groups. It is very similiar to having a muti-tone ctcss panel in an analog repeater. I have programmed APCO25 radios to do this in conventional and it does work as the users on a different talk-group doesn't hear the traffic, but someone in conventional listening to in digital carrier squelch will hear everything.

trunker

ecps92 mentioned that they may use analog and digital on the same channel. If you have the channel programmed with a NAC, or if it is programmed as a single-frequency trunked system, then I believe you will not pick up an analog transmissions on that channel.

Good point. I'll set the channel to 'All'.

BTW, went to the airport with the freqs programmed as conv P25 and that works.

fordcobra04

Premium Subscriber
APCO 25 also allows for conventional talk-groups. It is very similiar to having a muti-tone ctcss panel in an analog repeater. I have programmed APCO25 radios to do this in conventional and it does work as the users on a different talk-group doesn't hear the traffic, but someone in conventional listening to in digital carrier squelch will hear everything.

Do you still need a system key to program Astro25 radios this way?

trunker

Talkgroups? Does that mean I can still program the freq as a 1 freq P25 system and see talkgroups? (already confirmed it works as conventional P25).

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I think it's ridiculous they named it that. There's no trunking involved and it's no different than conventional P25 operation. A "talkgroup" (naming shared between trunking and conventional, yet are two different things) will always be sent with P25 conventional operation, same as with the NAC. Generally it's 1 (Moto for example) but some other vendors default to 65535. And, generally, a majority of the radios will not be setup to listen for specific talkgroups. Think of a talkgroup as a NAC within a NAC that the repeater does not care about (and will pass any one).

Another default TG is 4095, which is the default for Motorola DIU's (Digital Interface Unit). They're used to vocode digital voice for a dispatch console (since there is technically no radio to do it), logging (voice recording) systems or telephone patches.

So what Uniden is really saying is that their equipment can now decode and segregate P25 conventional talkgroups (on top of NAC decoding). It's just marketing terminology. :roll: Toss that around any radio tech and people will look at you strangely.

jim202

Let me make a simple statement. You don't have a trunked system with only one channel. You need a control channel to have a P25 trunked system. Then the control channel will assign the talkgroups to a voice channel for the conversations. Generally you won't see a trunked system with less than 4 channels. One for the control channel and then 3 for voice.

With that said, you can have a P25 conventional channel where the voice is in the digital mode. Motorola normally calls this "Astro" mode. You can have a NAC and different talkgroups in this type of operation. I expect that this digital conventional mode is what your trying to describe.

MattSR

There is also a talkgroup field in P25 Voice signals. In true trunking its used to transmit the current talkgroup (like the old sub-audible data in SmartZone) However it can be used in the same way a NAC is used on a conventional channel to create logical user groups.

WX1N

Premium Subscriber
There is also a talkgroup field in P25 Voice signals. In true trunking its used to transmit the current talkgroup (like the old sub-audible data in SmartZone) However it can be used in the same way a NAC is used on a conventional channel to create logical user groups.

The P25 transmissions also transmit a Unit ID number, which some departments have set to the radio callsign. You can also assign alpha tags to the UID numbers. Either way, if you do it that way, the ID of the unit transmitting shows up on the screen. I think that's more of the attraction of being able to decode the stream, than actually trying to use the talkgroup ID for anything.

Let me make a simple statement. You don't have a trunked system with only one channel. You need a control channel to have a P25 trunked system. Then the control channel will assign the talkgroups to a voice channel for the conversations. Generally you won't see a trunked system with less than 4 channels. One for the control channel and then 3 for voice.

With that said, you can have a P25 conventional channel where the voice is in the digital mode. Motorola normally calls this "Astro" mode. You can have a NAC and different talkgroups in this type of operation. I expect that this digital conventional mode is what your trying to describe.

He was referring to it as P25 one-channel trunking because on the scanner we were discussing, the BCD396XT, in order to decode the digital information sent with the transmission (Talkgroup ID, Unit ID), you have to program the frequency in a system with the type designator of "P25 single-frequency trunk". Regardless of whether it's the correct terminology or not, he was using it because that's how Uniden refers to it.

asd6845

Do you still need a system key to program Astro25 radios this way?

With the P25 radios, I have found that CPS lets you program the conventional P25 as a "mixed mode" in the receive section tab in the Conventional Personalities which will allow the radio to determine the mode when it receives the signal. So if TSA uses analog signaling, you hear it. If they switch to P25, you still hear it.

I did it for my Astro Saber and it works great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.