WS1040: P25 Phase 1 noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcb209

Feed Provider
Good Afternoon Forum,

I did a search but did not find an answer.

I just acquired a WS1040. I'm trying to program 2 P25 Phase 1 systems into the scanner (there are no Phase 2 systems in my area). I used both PSREdit500 and win500 to program the objects and I get the same results.

When scanning both systems, the transmissions have "truck"/"data" type noises or noise you would hear in the background of a transmission if someone were to key up inside a truck with no noise cancellation.

I'm wondering if I programmed the systems wrong or have a setting off? Best guess, I have a setting off.

Can someone point me in the right direction or have any ideas?

Thanks.

AtlasFBG2

I entered your counties p25 phase 1 systems in a win500 file and put a wildcard in scan list 1. I had to zip it to upload to the forum.

You can take a look at it or just upload to to your scanner and see if it picks up the systems.

Attachments

• Mahoning County.zip
    655 bytes · Views: 33
Last edited:

jcb209

Feed Provider
Thanks for the file. I still have the noise during transmissions. I'm sitting in the heart of the 1 system right now. I'm actually not seeing any difference in the file you made and the one I had other than you only downloaded the control channels, I had all the channels.

AtlasFBG2

You only need to put in the control and alternate control frequencies

The database does not list any of the talk groups as encrypted but maybe that is what you hearing? .

jcb209

Feed Provider
The only encryption is Boardman PD on the Austintown/Boardman system. I can hear the other traffic, but it's noisy like an old scanner. Hard to describe, but it's like data and voice are mixed. I think I need all the freq's in my BCD325, but good to know I only need the control channels on the 1040.

I'm still thinking its a setting of some sort. I can hear traffic fine on my BCD325. I don't need Phase 2 (Ohio MARCS is Phase 2 capable, but will cost a lot to convert), and I like the layouts/controls (and price) of the GRE/PRO/Whistler scanners.

I'll keep playing with settings. Open to any ideas.

jcb209

Feed Provider
I'm attaching an audio file (m4a/iPhone, the mp3 was too big) of what I'm hearing on the P25's. Conventional is clear.

Maybe someone has an idea after listening?

Would Whistler tech support be able to help?

Thanks.

Attachments

• New Recording 2.zip
    153.1 KB · Views: 35

cpetraglia

That sounds like a combination of P25 digital audio (Not decoded) and decoded audio along with it. It is possible another very strong close frequency is bleeding over. What band is your system in? Can you use attenuate to improve the audio? That's a strange one.

jcb209

Feed Provider
I have 2 systems programmed and both are exhibiting the same thing.

Ohio MARCS-IP P25
Austintown/Boardman P25

Both Phase 1 800 MHz bands

My conventional channels are clear. If it's a simple setting, I can't find it.

cpetraglia

I am not familiar with that exact radio, but it should have a DSP level adjust. You may be able to access it thru the menu. I would make some large swings in both directions taking note where it was when you start. If that doesn't change anything, maybe you have a radio problem. Also make sure if you can that it is set to Narrow FM. Good luck.

jcb209

Feed Provider
I sent a message to Whistler tech support for ideas. They are out for the holiday's until Tuesday, so they won't be able to help me until next week.

Still open to suggestions. I'll keep trying different things.

Thanks for all the help so far!

kestep

Premium Subscriber
I sent a message to Whistler tech support for ideas. They are out for the holiday's until Tuesday, so they won't be able to help me until next week.

Still open to suggestions. I'll keep trying different things.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Having exactly the same problem here. Makes listening to those channels very unpleasant.

I've been chasing this down for a couple of days and looking for ways to suppress the control channel noise, without any success so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.