P25 Phase 1 recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilotJoshua

Premium Subscriber
Currently using a Pro-82 to listen to Fire Rescue (453 - 460 MHz). Considering getting a programmed HT1250 UHF to get better reception.

I want something to listen to Miami-Dade Police. Specifically Site 102 on the system.

Was thinking of getting a BCD996P2 to listen at home, and a BCD436HP to take with me when I drive.

I also live near a police station so not sure if I should worry about interference or whether it will help with the signal.20210522_095148.jpg

Last edited:

PilotJoshua

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE:
This antenna near my home doesn't show up on radio reference when I look at the tower locations on the map. The closest one is number 6 which is actually 15 minutes (4.2 miles) away from me (to the south).

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
The RRDB depends on listeners to submit verified data. Due to the information posted, I suspect it needs some updating. The FCC licensing website has been down otherwise I'd check, but it's likely simulcast. For this reason a SDS100 (portable) and / or SDS200 (base/mobile) is recommended, as stated above.

PilotJoshua

Premium Subscriber
Hi & welcome to the RR forums:
Site 102 contains simulcast cells. Have a read here about simulcast distortion. Plenty of discussion about it throughout these forums. I'd recommend the Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 for the best chance at monitoring these types of systems without experiencing simulcast issues
Hi thanks for the welcome! Anyways that's what I needed to know, wasn't sure if it was simulcast or not.

PilotJoshua

Premium Subscriber
The RRDB depends on listens to submit verified data. Due to the information posted, I suspect it needs some updating. The FCC licensing website has been down otherwise I'd check, but it's likely simulcast. For this reason a SDS100 (portable) and / or SDS200 (base/mobile) is recommended, as stated above.
Thanks I'll be looking into the SDS.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
As for now only 3 radios able to pick up simulcast with no issues.
Sds100 & 200 & Unication G4/G5. I have both Uniden sds and they hold the phase ll system in my area good. I don't have the unication but was told it will pick up simulcast well also. You are only able to listen to one system at one time on Unication.

n3pi

Currently using a Pro-82 to listen to Fire Rescue (453 - 460 MHz). Considering getting a programmed HT1250 UHF to get better reception.

I want something to listen to Miami-Dade Police. Specifically Site 102 on the system.

Was thinking of getting a BCD996P2 to listen at home, and a BCD436HP to take with me when I drive.

I also live near a police station so not sure if I should worry about interference or whether it will help with the signal.View attachment 104025
Excellent choice for MDFR on the HT1250, plenty of channels and then some. Easy to program and accessories are very economical.

The Uniden choice listed from others is the way I would go, or even the Unication G5 UHF700/800 may even work, one unit for both systems you want to monitor. Even Miami/Miami Beach/Hialeah just in case you want to hear them too.

Hope this helps

PilotJoshua

Premium Subscriber
Excellent choice for MDFR on the HT1250, plenty of channels and then some. Easy to program and accessories are very economical.

The Uniden choice listed from others is the way I would go, or even the Unication G5 UHF700/800 may even work, one unit for both systems you want to monitor. Even Miami/Miami Beach/Hialeah just in case you want to hear them too.

Hope this helps
Thanks! I already ordered the SDS100, now I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
Thanks! I already ordered the SDS100, now I'm just waiting for it to arrive.
welcome to the forum!

Since I gather that you are just entering the hobby, I would like to offer that you should review this link:

this is the Florida statute on having a scanner in a vehicle. If you do not have one, highly recommend you obtain an amateur radio license, unless you meet one of the other qualifiers... LEO, etc.

doug

PilotJoshua

Premium Subscriber
welcome to the forum!

Since I gather that you are just entering the hobby, I would like to offer that you should review this link:

this is the Florida statute on having a scanner in a vehicle. If you do not have one, highly recommend you obtain an amateur radio license, unless you meet one of the other qualifiers... LEO, etc.

doug
Hi, thanks for the welcome! I've actually been listening for 7 years on my analog handheld but this is my first time getting something that can listen to digital trunking.

Status
Not open for further replies.