Pro-106: P25 Phase 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pngoat

Premium Subscriber
I have a pro-106 that I monitor a P25 Phase 1 simulcast system. It picks up the system, quite well and without distortion, because I live less than 1 mile from one of the towers. I recently purchased a pro-106 off ebay. I cloned it from my existing 106. It will pick up the P25 simulcast Phase 1 system, that I monitor but only sporadically, and the sound is very distorted. It picks up the other channels and systems, that I monitor, just fine. My question is: Are there any changes that can be made to the global menu, or other areas, so the P25 simulcast system reception improves or is it just the nature of the beast? System in question is: Madison Area Public Safety (P25) located in Madison, WI. Any help appreciated. Thank You.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Cloning

Did you clone radio to radio or from software? I was thinking the global settings will go if you send from win500? Did you check global and expert settings side by side? What about the antenna same same? Also look into the firmware versions. Hope this gives you ideas to check?

djeplett

It's also possible the 106 you just bought needs an alignment. How does it do receiveing other stuff when compared to your original 106?

pngoat

Premium Subscriber
737mech: I cloned it radio to radio. The global & expert settings on the original 106 have never been touched. I used the same antenna. Question: Where do I find what firmware version I have?

djeplett: It receives other stuff just fine like the original 106.The only problem I have with the 106 I just purchased is with the Madison Area Public Safety (P25) system.

djeplett

Press the 3 key while the Welcome/Owner screen is being displayed for CPU and DSP versions.

Since you did radio to radio cloning I'm guessing you don't have a programming cable? I'm way up in Waupaca county so I'm a bit far away to help, or I'd offer to update your firmware if you end up needing it...

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Expert Settings

At least try changing the DG INT PRIME setting to 30. That helped my scanner with the p25 system here.

djeplett

Just to fill everybody in... pngoat and I met up and I updated his eBay 106 to the last firmware version 1.4, but that did not fix his issue. I downloaded the programming from both 106s and confirmed they were identical in every way including the expert settings. He tried changing "DG INT PRIME", "Noise Thresh", "96CC HD2 TO", "96VC SQ TO" and "96VC XF TO"... all to no avail.

I then had him tune the control channel (859.9625) on both radios and hold on to it to see the decode percentage. On the old 106 it wavered between 92 to 99% decode. On the eBay 106 it never registered any decode percentage, but it did show full 5 bars of signal.

So now we suspect it is definitely out of alignment. Maybe it got dropped at some time and knocked a pot off. I advised him he could send it to somewhere like G&G Communications to get aligned.

Bottom line... bummer!

Status
Not open for further replies.