P25 Phase 2 Help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello All,

I'm Non US based radio addict, just recently police department in my city upgraded to P25 Phase 2 TDMA from UHF 800 MHz band 3 site EDACS system. I'm hopeful talk-groups and site structure will remains same and non encrypted.
As of now i don't know frequencies or other details about new P25 system neither i have P25 capable scanner, however i do have SDR dongle to experiment and identify P25 signal, now i need to find out frequencies of P25 system can someone post recording of P25 Phase 2 encrypted and encrypted frequency in FM mode, this will help me to locate P25 signal + frequency and may be identify if system is encrypted or not.

Thanks in advance

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
You should start by analyzing the system with Unitrunker, it will tell you which talkgroups are Encrypted, which talkgroups use Phase II etc. This web page has recording samples of various encryption schemes, including TDMA P-25. But like I said, Unitrunker automatically detects encryption status for each talkgroup.

All that being said, only OP-25 will decode Phase 2 audio, it requires Linux and it's quite a chore to install.

Thanks nate for reply, but how do i identify frequencies? we don't have option to simply go FCC website and get frequencies and start decoding in Unitrunker. i'll need to 1st locate and identify frequencies for this I'm looking for raw (FM) sounds from P25 Phase 2 systems. this can help me to identify P25 frequencies and then configure them in Unitrunker

BC_Scan

The way we do it in North America is put a radio scanner in search mode, with your dongle I would be searching the 800 band, as likely they re-used the 800 mhz channels, unless they went to 700 mhz, But in India apparently simplex is most common use of radio (that is what we were told by an East Indian Ham operator living in Canada) Perhaps check with your (TRAI) group Telecom regulatory body of India
Home | Telecom Regulatory Authority of India | Government of India
ITU: Committed to connecting the world
maybe check with this as well
the other thing to do is look at a handheld radio or mobile see which antenna they are suing to narrow the search
Mumbai: To connect better, cops get new radio system | The Indian Express
this article does not list a vendor so it does not really shed any new light.
Mumbai (Bombay) Police Force (P25) Trunking System, Mumbai, Maharashtra - Scanner Frequencies, some one has found the information.
Good luck

Last edited:

You guys are amazing, All big cities in India are now upgrading to digital trunking mostly DMR. Mumbai police got 3 site EDACS way back in 1997 and now upgraded fully to P25 Phase 2 TDMA.

I'll share my experience once i identify frequencies and decode data, its real fun when there's very little information available publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.