P25 Phase 2: no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Just programmed a new P-25 Phase 2 system into my TRX-1. This is my first experience with a phase 2 system. It's listed in the database as "Broward County Public Safety (Project 25)" and it's the Plantation site.

I am getting the blinking "S" on the top line (most of the time), and occasionally a blinking "T". I will see talkgroups appear, but there's no audio. The scanner (and DSD+) don't indicate that it's encrypted.

The problem must be either the signal is too weak to decode, or there may be radio settings than can be adjusted. If so, what settings should I try?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
rebanded??

Just programmed a new P-25 Phase 2 system into my TRX-1. This is my first experience with a phase 2 system. It's listed in the database as "Broward County Public Safety (Project 25)" and it's the Plantation site.

I am getting the blinking "S" on the top line (most of the time), and occasionally a blinking "T". I will see talkgroups appear, but there's no audio. The scanner (and DSD+) don't indicate that it's encrypted.

The problem must be either the signal is too weak to decode, or there may be radio settings than can be adjusted. If so, what settings should I try?

Is the system you are trying to monitor rebanded?

I had the exact same issue here in Seattle.
Once I fixed (rebanded),......

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire

Make sure you've selected "Autofill" for each site... this applies to all P25 sites.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase2 no audio

Most likely you're getting simulcast bit error. Scanners have difficulty with these systems due to the arrival at the radio of multiple signals on the same frequency but at ever so slightly different times. This causes reception difficulties commonly referred to as “Simulcast Distortion” or “Bit Error” *thanks to scanner master/unication quote* Phase II is difficult unless you have the exact antenna needed like a yagi directional antenna to prevent this. YOU really need to be within the coverage map too. Did you check the range on the Radio Ref maps under the "Plantation" site itself? *picture* A lot of the time people are too far away from the site they're trying to get. And even inside the coverage zone it's best to have the proper antenna for the frequency. Sometimes you have to go to extremes just to get what you want to hear. At home near Chicago I have to use a 700/800mhz Yagi antenna to get the P25 phase 2 system. Works great. Out and about? it's a crap-shoot. Believe it or not, THIS video

https://youtu.be/mKxp3-2_y8g

shows what antenna* I use to get Phase 2 .. NO antenna, because there's so many strong signals I have to come in under the interference. it's a BNC to RCA connector on a window clip outside the car. Crazy, but it works cause it's close to the right length for the frequency 700/800mhz. Worked at home too as the video shows "D2" is phase 2.
All these scanners today suffer from this on P25 simulcast systems. You have to either get a Yagi or look into the Unication G4/G5 voice pagers that beat this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase 2 no audio

Yes, thanks. I see it's a Phase 1 set up on the database unless it's termed that way and Phase 2 capable. So his assessment is probably right. May be out of range. He mentioned phase 2 so I assumed it was a simulcast deal, didn't look to see that he said "single site" The flashing "S" and "T" thing has been covered in each Whistler forum for WS1080, WS1095, WS1098 and the new scanners when the update to DMR came out. I would search for that

Last edited by a moderator:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Yes, thanks. I see it's a Phase 1 set up on the database unless it's termed that way and Phase 2 capable. So his assessment is probably right. May be out of range. He mentioned phase 2 so I assumed it was a simulcast deal, didn't look to see that he said "single site"

The information in the RR database isn't entirely correct. The sites listed, Coral Springs, Ft. Lauderdale, and Plantation, are not part of the Broward County system, they are stand alone systems, and the sites aren't linked. Ft. Lauderdale and Coral Springs are Phase I, Plantation is Phase II.

I'm going to take a road trip to Plantation and see what difference it makes. FWIW, Plantation's transmitter is about 11 miles from my location. And I do have a couple of 800Mhz yagis, but so far, they don't help. I may have to experiment with their aiming. In fact, an 800Mhz rubber duck produces signals at least as good as the yagi does! I think it's a feedline loss issue.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Ok. And when you hear the Phase 2 "D2" transmissions.. yes, it is 2-3 TIMES as loud as phase 1 for some reason. I'm grateful Whistler gave us those +2 - -10 controls for loudness even for the older scanners sold in 2014.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Followup: I drove into Plantation, the city using the new P25 Phase II system. The TRX-1 would not pass any audio at all from this system. I could see the radio scanning, see five signal strength bars, and the scanning stopped on active talkgroups, but there was no audio at all. I tried four different duck antennas, no antenna, attenuator on and off, it made no difference. From posts on the TRX-1 Yahoo Group, I see that a few others are having the same issue.

I started out about 12 miles from the transmitter site, and was within probably 1 to 2 miles away at my closest.

I also had my Uniden BCD436HP with me, and it decoded the system with no issues.

IMO, this needs to be addressed with a firmware update, unless I somehow programmed the system incorrectly. I presume the system type is "Project 25" in the software menu? There's no other suitable choice.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I realize this is for the PRO-668, but it's worth looking into; did you set the Band Plan to Auto Fill? This is evidently needed for the 668 to hear P2...Mike

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I realize this is for the PRO-668, but it's worth looking into; did you set the Band Plan to Auto Fill? This is evidently needed for the 668 to hear P2...Mike

That was it!! Working great now.

Thanks much. I'll tell Santa Claus about you! :D

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
Plantation P25

From my understanding Coral Springs P25, Fort Lauderdale P25, and Planation P25 are all part of the NEW Broward County P25 system. Broward County and Hollywood have not switched over yet. Coral Springs went first. Then Fort Lauderdale. Now Plantation. They each have their own sites. Just like on the Type II system.
So there will be sites for Coral Springs, Fort Lauderdale, Plantation, Hollywood, and Broward County.5 sites all together.

ve3hfq

Whistler TRX 2 No Audio

Just got the unit 2 days ago.... was working then all of a sudden when it was scanning the audio quit as well as the alerts. Tried listening to the Weatheradio channels. Lots of signals but no audio there either. Any ideas before I sent this unit back.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.