P25 phase 2 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacon12

Would you be so kind as to tell me, or point me to a video or some other instructional device on how to set up my 436 to receive P25 phase 2? I use the Sentinel software for programming so if I can do it within that program that would be great. I'm fairly new to this hobby but not totally lost. I'll admit I'm having a problem understanding how P25 phase 2 systems work. I've done a google search on the subject, looking for a youtube video on the subject but only found videos of folks showing how it sounded etc.
Thanks,
Jarrell

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet as a new user is to use Sentinel's master database and select the desired system. Then append it to either an existing Favorites List or create a new FL as desired. That way all the necessary settings are included/programmed.

This can also be done manually if you wish. Select the Favorites List, click the green plus sign to add a new system to the FL. When the popup window appears, give the System a name, then go to the System Type dropdown combo box and choose P25 X2-TDMA. After clicking OK, proceed to program the rest of the "stuff" as you would for any other trunked system (sites, departments, channels/TGIDs).

troymail

Silent Key
Your best bet as a new user is to use Sentinel's master database and select the desired system. Then append it to either an existing Favorites List or create a new FL as desired. That way all the necessary settings are included/programmed.

This can also be done manually if you wish. Select the Favorites List, click the green plus sign to add a new system to the FL. When the popup window appears, give the System a name, then go to the System Type dropdown combo box and choose P25 X2-TDMA. After clicking OK, proceed to program the rest of the "stuff" as you would for any other trunked system (sites, departments, channels/TGIDs).
I just learned something! Thanks....

But just to be clear, P25 X2-TDMA isn't P25 Phase 2... To program true P25 Phase 1 or Phase 2 (X2 is something else), it's just "P25 Trunk"

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't profess to be 100% conversant on Phase 1 or Phase 2. Thus I could be completely wrong.

My thinking was this (and if this is inaccurate I'll yield to those with greater knowledge):

Phase 1 was FDMA or Frequency Division Multiple Analysis. Phase 2 was TDMA or Time Division Multiple Analysis.

So with that "X2-TDMA", I was thinking that might be the choice.

In any event, what you and I suggested - using Sentinel to create the FL is the best option. Can't go wrong that way.

scanchs

I don't profess to be 100% conversant on Phase 1 or Phase 2. Thus I could be completely wrong.

My thinking was this (and if this is inaccurate I'll yield to those with greater knowledge):

Phase 1 was FDMA or Frequency Division Multiple Analysis. Phase 2 was TDMA or Time Division Multiple Analysis.

So with that "X2-TDMA", I was thinking that might be the choice.

In any event, what you and I suggested - using Sentinel to create the FL is the best option. Can't go wrong that way.
The only thing I can add is that the A in FDMA and TDMA stands for access, not analysis...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I can add is that the A in FDMA and TDMA stands for access, not analysis...
Another opportunity to say "Oops".

Troymail-

So if the "X25-TDMA" isn't phase 2, what is it (as in is it something like a hybrid between the two)?

And my apologies for taking this off-topic some.

jacon12

It might be that where I'm running into trouble is Macon, Ga. recently went to a Harris P25 phase 2 system and the listing that is in the master database is shown as a Motorola. I already have this in my favorites list but no receiving anything on my scanner.
So it has to be one of two things,
1- the database is not correct for the newer system
2- I don't have something set right and am too new at this to know what it might be.
I'll visit the Georgia forum and see if I can shed some light on what the correct database listing should be. Could be it IS correct.
Thank you,
Jarrell

troymail

Silent Key
Another opportunity to say "Oops".

Troymail-

So if the "X25-TDMA" isn't phase 2, what is it (as in is it something like a hybrid between the two)?

And my apologies for taking this off-topic some.
X2 is the Motorola version of Phase 2 that came out before the Phase 2 standard was finalized. Some people think this was Motorola's attempt to make that the standard. To my knowledge, no other vendor developed/implemented that version. I kinda think about it as "Phase 1.5". I had one of these systems in my area that converted to full Phase 2 after the standard was in place.

jacon12

X2 is the Motorola version of Phase 2 that came out before the Phase 2 standard was finalized. Some people think this was Motorola's attempt to make that the standard. To my knowledge, no other vendor developed/implemented that version. I kinda think about it as "Phase 1.5". I had one of these systems in my area that converted to full Phase 2 after the standard was in place.
Below is what I know about the 'new' system evidently concerning the fire dept., in quotes:

"NEW System:
Macon-Bibb Public Safety, or "Central Georgia Interoperable Regional Radio System" if you wish. According to a recent Telegraph article, Macon-Bibb and Monroe County have signed an MOA to allow Monroe to start using the system, but nobody is currently doing so. Also, I've heard unofficially that they plan to try Phase II at some point.

Freq: 854.06250(a) 855.48750(c) 855.98750(a) 856.23750(a) 856.58750(a) 856.98750(a) 857.48750(a)

Macon/Bibb County Fire Department Talkgroups:
132 MBCFD Disp Fire Dispatch
134 MBCFD Ops Fire Scene 2
135 MBCFD Ops Fire Scene 3
136 MBCFD Ops Fire Scene 4
137 MBCFD Ops Fire Scene 5
138 MBCFD Ops Fire Scene 6
139 MBCFD Ops Fire Prevention
140 MBCFD Ops Fire Utility
144 MBCFD Ops Fire Training

end quote
In the RR database the fire dept and the sheriff and Macon PD are all listed separately which is why I'm thinking it's not that I don't have something set correctly. I guess maybe they've gone over to Phase 2 and the database isn't showing it.
Thanks,
Jarrell

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
The talkgroups are not Phase II. They're still only Phase I.

Your 436 will handle the system fine as is. Have you updated the Master Database and wrote it to the scanner lately?

Lots of other people are listening to the system so I don't think the database is wrong.

jacon12

No, Phase II is a trunking feature only.
Mike, I updated my database and located the correct 'Interoperable" system and have downloaded it to my scanner. Now to figure out how to try it out. I can't seem to assign a QK number to it. When I do and then try it via pressing the number and hitting 'enter' all I get is 3 rapid beeps. I'm not doing something right here. I think I have to read up on Favorite Lists and Quick keys Uniden style. My Psr 800 Gre was so much simpler in that regard.
thank you for your reply, I will check into the other things you asked when I get some chores done...:)
Jarrell

jacon12

Would you be so kind as to tell me, or point me to a video or some other instructional device on how to set up my 436 to receive P25 phase 2? I use the Sentinel software for programming so if I can do it within that program that would be great. I'm fairly new to this hobby but not totally lost. I'll admit I'm having a problem understanding how P25 phase 2 systems work. I've done a google search on the subject, looking for a youtube video on the subject but only found videos of folks showing how it sounded etc.
Thanks,
Jarrell
Thanks to Troy, a forum member here, for walking me through this. Scanner is now picking up what I wanted it to.
Jarrell

Status
Not open for further replies.