BCD325P2/BCD996P2: P25 Phase 2 reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovesnow96

Premium Subscriber
Having a problem with P25 phase 2 reception. My local FD/EMS is Spotsylvania, Va. The control channels are 800 mhz and the tower is appx. 3 miles from my location. Signal strength averages 3-4 bars. On display 1 is shows up as a P10 signal type when I get a signal. P25 threshold is 8. I rarely receive an audible transmission. My local tower for state departments, ie: Forestry, game and fish and DOT come in fine. Their control channels are VHF-Hi. I've got an external antenna on the patio. Display show a P25 signal type. I programmed he scanner using freescan. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Spotsylvania County VA uses a Harris Simulcast radio system. You are not the only one who has problems receiving that system. The only scanners designed to receive simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. The Unication G4 and G5 pagers are also excellent on that system. Receiving simulcast, especially Harris simulcast, using other scanners is hit and miss, mostly miss, depending on your location in relation to the towers.

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
You can try SDR but would need a computer to control the USB dongle(s).

ilovesnow96

Premium Subscriber
I thank you folks for your prompt replies. I'll make note of systems that are listed as simulcast and not bother with them. The SDS scanners are a bit beyond my budget. Thanks again

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I thank you folks for your prompt replies. I'll make note of systems that are listed as simulcast and not bother with them. The SDS scanners are a bit beyond my budget. Thanks again
I would not automatically "not bother" with a system labeled as simulcast. Some of them you might be able to monitor, especially if you are outside their normal coverage range (surrounded by simulcast tower sites). Also, even if you are close, occasionally, you may happen to be in a spot where the system will work,

Bottom line, if you try to program it, & it works, fine. But if you are getting simulcast distortion, then that's when you simply delete that particular system and ignore it.

tvengr

Well Known Member
A couple of things you can try to improve reception for simulcast systems.:
1. Turn on the attenuator
2. Reorient and vary the length of the antenna
3. Remove the antenna and insert paper clip in connector
4. Move the scanner to different locations
5. A directional antenna

ilovesnow96

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of your suggestions. There is enough traffic from other counties, aviation and railroads to keep the scanner busy.

lu81fitter

Spotsylvania County VA uses a Harris Simulcast radio system. You are not the only one who has problems receiving that system.

Down the road from me, in Peoria County, IL, Harris built a simulcast system for the City of Peoria, Peoria County, Bartonville, and a Mass Transit company. There were a few complaints from the users, but it was reliable. Using my 996P2, I could rarely receive the system no matter what location I was in. Fast forward a few years, and Peoria County decides they want to be part of the State of Illinois' STARCOM system. All the sites had to be changed out so it was compatible with the /\/\ system. When that changeover took place, I programmed all the new frequencies into my radio, and I couldn't believe my ears! What was once unmonitorable was just brimming with activity. To the OP, your troubles could very well be as mine were in the past.

bberns22

My country uses a Harris P25 system and even with the SDS 100/200 and Uniation P5 some transmissions can be difficult even with a high quality signal. Harris systems are known to be difficult for consumer radios.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
My county uses a Harris P25 system and even with the SDS 100/200 and Unication P5 some transmissions can be difficult even with a high quality signal. Harris systems are known to be difficult for consumer radios.

Our new [Harris Phase 2] WSDOT system is proving a challenge for the SDS100. It's not picking up any transmissions. I have more investigating to do but so far it's not good.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I monitor a Harris P25 P2 system a county way and not having any issues with my SDS100 or APX.. but on ocassion with my KNG2 when an agency is using a multiselect ( i believe thats the term) it wont pass audio on my KNG2. But yet the APX and SDS100 work like a charm. So yup i get what your saying about the Harris system being difficult. But the scanner seems to be more forgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.