P25 phase 2 scanner recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
Everytime someone mentions Simulcast distortion it's brought up that you have to get the SDS 100 or the SDS 200.
Not true. Hardly anyone evers mentions the Unication pagers which can handle Simulcast perfectly.
I usually mention both SDS and Unications in regards to handling simulcast. However, I also often mention that the Unications don't have all the same functionality as a scanner. People need to understand that before making a purchase. Many people want\need one radio that can receive two or more trunking systems at the same time. I'm not criticizing Unication at all. In fact I give them credit for providing a simulcast solution for hobbyists before the major scanner manufacturers. It's just that a pager may not be the answer for everybody.

Jn2022

He needs nothing now....
He has a working PSR-600 that will handle his needs at this time.
Yes, thank you N8IAA. Everyone, I am good on a scanner right now. N8IAA is right that I have a functioning PSR-600 now. Just trying now to tweak it and get the best I can out of it.😉 I so appreciate all the help on these forums!! I learn so much reading through all the threads!!!🙂

cfsimmont

Yes, thank you N8IAA. Everyone, I am good on a scanner right now. N8IAA is right that I have a functioning PSR-600 now. Just trying now to tweak it and get the best I can out of it.😉 I so appreciate all the help on these forums!! I learn so much reading through all the threads!!!🙂

If your current PSR-800 is working for now, then use it until the need for a Phase 2 scanner becomes needed. What is your current antenna setup? You mentioned that you are only using the scanner at home, do you have an outside antenna by chance or are you just using a handheld antenna? A outside mounted antenna mounted above the roof line with good coax can dramatically improve reception and will be of use to you once you upgrade scanners. Of course if you are in an HOA that doesn't allow a roof antenna that other options are available.

Jn2022

If your current PSR-800 is working for now, then use it until the need for a Phase 2 scanner becomes needed. What is your current antenna setup? You mentioned that you are only using the scanner at home, do you have an outside antenna by chance or are you just using a handheld antenna? A outside mounted antenna mounted above the roof line with good coax can dramatically improve reception and will be of use to you once you upgrade scanners. Of course if you are in an HOA that doesn't allow a roof antenna that other options are available.
I am just using a handheld antenna. I originally tried hooking it up to our old, rooftop tv antenna with the regular R6 coax. The reception was better but it seemed like it picked up an interference at times. The kind of interference that sounds like your standing trying to tune in an old radio and when you move it either gets louder or goes away. Not really sure how to explain it but it was only when people were talking. It wouldn’t do it otherwise and it didn’t do it all the time. I was reading that these have a tendancy to overload on the input side so I kind of was leary about doing it because we have a 36db booster that the coax is connected to down in our basement. The handheld antenna I have on it now is a BNC-W100RX.

Jn2022

Sorry, I stand corrected. It’s a 10 db NOT 36db.

cfsimmont

I am just using a handheld antenna. I originally tried hooking it up to our old, rooftop tv antenna with the regular R6 coax. The reception was better but it seemed like it picked up an interference at times. The kind of interference that sounds like your standing trying to tune in an old radio and when you move it either gets louder or goes away. Not really sure how to explain it but it was only when people were talking. It wouldn’t do it otherwise and it didn’t do it all the time. I was reading that these have a tendancy to overload on the input side so I kind of was leary about doing it because we have a 36db booster that the coax is connected to down in our basement. The handheld antenna I have on it now is a BNC-W100RX.

Old TV antennas can be hit or miss. I use one that we used for TV before getting broadband and started using streaming apps. It works pretty well on conventional but not as well on the digital. You may try turning the mount of the antenna 90 degrees if possible, so that the antenna is more vertical than horizontal. With scanners and antennas it can be trial and error, although an outside antenna usually increases performance as the radio signals no longer have to penetrate the construction of your home to reach your scanner. I've never tried using any of the "booster" devices, just simple antennas with proper grounding (very important) and good coax. Keep in mind that a good antenna with poor coax will not benefit your reception at all.

Jn2022

Old TV antennas can be hit or miss. I use one that we used for TV before getting broadband and started using streaming apps. It works pretty well on conventional but not as well on the digital. You may try turning the mount of the antenna 90 degrees if possible, so that the antenna is more vertical than horizontal. With scanners and antennas it can be trial and error, although an outside antenna usually increases performance as the radio signals no longer have to penetrate the construction of your home to reach your scanner. I've never tried using any of the "booster" devices, just simple antennas with proper grounding (very important) and good coax. Keep in mind that a good antenna with poor coax will not benefit your reception at all.
Ideally, what type of cable should I use if I did get an actual roof antenna? Rhe reason why I tried the setup that I did was that it was already here when we bought our house a couple years ago. To run the coax into the house is quite an ordeal. It’s an old log and plaster farmhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.