P25 Phase I and II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbishop

I have a bcd396xt handheld. I have downloaded p25 standard into the scanner . Its all there but it doesn't seem to be scanning those systems. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong Any help appreciated Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
First, that model scanner is too "senior" to deal with Phase II systems. You'd need the newer model BCD325.

Did you use a program such as Freescan, ARCXT or ProScan to download the desired system? Going this route will ensure all the correct parameters are set when the data is imported. If you do it by hand, errors (such as system type) have been known to happen.

And assuming you are like all of us once were, a "newbie", let me ask if you downloaded both site(s) data as well as talkgroup data? Sometimes new folks (and us veterans) sometimes omit one or the other.

The last thing I suggest when someone is at wits end on trunked systems is this: Download all of the site frequencies (frequencies only, no talkgroups) as a conventional (not trunked) system. It has to be manually done unfortunately. Then scan this as a regular system. The scanner should stop on a frequency that has a "motorboat" like sound, which is the control channel. Tap the Lockout (L/O) button, then continue to monitor. If you hear voice, that confirms you are within range and the scanner is capable of "hearing" the system. If nothing else that is a good diagnostic test and you have the frequencies stored if the system goes into the very rare "failsoft" mode (where trunking controllers fail).

Following that, re-program as a trunked system.

N8IAA

I have a bcd396xt handheld. I have downloaded p25 standard into the scanner . Its all there but it doesn't seem to be scanning those systems. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong Any help appreciated Thanks

Your city is on a Phase II system. The 396XT can't decode that digital format. You'll need a 996P2 or 325P2 to hear anything. The 325 replaced the 396.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Your city is on a Phase II system. The 396XT can't decode that digital format. You'll need a 996P2 or 325P2 to hear anything. The 325 replaced the 396.
With the exception of the "NETCO" cities just to the west of Coppell, which, for now, are P25 Phase I on FWRRS, all of the other nearby cities, such as Irving, and the Denton County system (Lewisville is on the Denton System), are all P25 Phase II as well. The only other exception, Dallas (city & County) will also move to Phase II, though it appears that the intended switchover date of this fall will not be met.

Coppell is on the Metrocrest system, which is known locally as having simulcast problems, However, the Coppell site, near Coppell FD Station 1, might be close enough to override signals from the other Metrocrest transmit sites farther east and north.

Status
Not open for further replies.