• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
To my knowledge there are 4 types of P25 modulation C4FM, CQPSK, WIDE, and the new Phase 2 TDMA. My question is when are these P25 settings used, for example I know CQPSK is used on simulcast 9600 Baud 100% P25 trunked systems especially when narrow banded, but is it also used on conventional P25 Simulcast repeaters or is all conventional P25 C4FM? Basically what I would like to know is what circumstances determine what modulation is used on a P25 signal whether it is trunked or conventional? Also is there any conventional use of P25 Phase 2 or is that limited to trunking applications only?

Thank you for any answers,
Robert Klamp

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
For phase 1, the mobiles and handhelds transmit C4FM. The repeater (trunked or not) may transmit C4FM or CQPSK for simulcast.

The phase 2 waveform is the same for single site and simulcast.

I don't think phase 2 is limited to trunking but can't say for sure.

Note that the control channel is always either of the two phase 1 waveforms.

I have no idea what "wide" is as a P25 modulation.

MattSR

WIDE comes from the era of Motorola ASTRO gear that was IMBE CAI compatible (post 1996) but still pre P25 compliant (prior to 2002-2003 or so)

WIDE is C4FM with modified deviation, symbol parameters and Nyquist ISI/RRC filtering that made use of the FM capture effect to make simulcast work better. It also requires a 25khz wide channel - hence the name.

Wide was replaced in P25 Phase 1 with CQPSK LSM style modulation, since its far more spectrally efficient and fits in a 12.5khz channel.

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.