• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 sites where all the frequencies are control frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmerjrusa

Can anyone help here?

Have a G5 and am trying to learn how to program it.

Eventually got it to work with a couple local P25 systems (800 MHz/700 MHz) ok.

However just can't get it to scan the JNCR P25 system (UHF-B, 380 - 430 MHz) which my Uniden scanners handle just fine, I know the signals are strong.
Keep getting an "out of range" reading on the G5's display.

Any advice would be appreciated...

palmerjrusa

Maybe someone can answer this question and help solve a problem.

When you're scanning a P25 multi-site radio system and all the frequencies listed are control frequencies = no voice channels, what does this mean for scanning?

The issue I'm having is the following.

My Uniden scanners have no problem tracking this P25 system with the site in question, everything is fine.

However, been trying to program a Unication G5 with this site and it just doesn't work.
I've no problem scanning other P25 sites (that have both control and voice frequencies) with the G5, the only difference I can see is that this P25 site has only control frequency channels. Could this be the source of the problem?

nd5y

When you're scanning a P25 multi-site radio system and all the frequencies listed are control frequencies = no voice channels, what does this mean for scanning?
Each site can only have one active control channel at a time. The rest are voice channels.
Depending on the system the control channel can rotate.
It sounds like a programming problem, but I don't know anything about Unications.
There could be other changes to the system. You can't count on the database to be accurate or complete.

palmerjrusa

Each site can only have one active control channel at a time. The rest are voice channels.
Depending on the system the control channel can rotate.
If you only program the red control channels with a "c" in the database and the system rotates to one that isn't marked as a control channel you may have problems. You can't count on the database to be accurate or complete.

The problem is all frequencies listed are control channels.

You mean only one of them is a control channel and the others will be voice channels, and then they rotate?

palmerjrusa

Harris systems can use any frequency as a control channel and frequently rotate between them. If all frequencies are shown as a control channel, enter them all. Make sure you use hex values for the RFSS ID and Site ID. That is a common error.

I thought I was taking care of that yesterday, but will take another look.
Thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Better to think of them as control capable. As stated, only one frequency per site is going to be acting as an active control channel at any given time; the rest are traffic (voice and/or data) channels when they're not functioning as the active control channel.

16b

Premium Subscriber
If you don’t care about limiting the G5 to a specific site or set of sites, you can cheat a bit by entering FF for both RFSS and Site ID. These are wildcard values that tell the G5 to monitor any site it receives. Saves you the trouble of entering each site in the site list, and making sure you have the RFSS and Site IDs correct.

palmerjrusa

Still haven't been able to get my G5 to scan this P25 system in the B-Band of the radio that my Uniden scanners have no problem scanning.

Tried everything and still keep getting the "out of range" error on the G5's display.

The P25 system is JNCR.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Still haven't been able to get my G5 to scan this P25 system in the B-Band of the radio that my Uniden scanners have no problem scanning.

Tried everything and still keep getting the "out of range" error on the G5's display.

The P25 system is JNCR.
Are you sure you have the correct band split G5 for UHF? You need the UHF A or B model.
Clipboa11rd-1.jpg
Also, keep in mind, the UHF antenna is built into the G5. You might get the system OK using an external antenna on the scanner, but unless you have the amplified charger to hook the external antenna to (which also doesn't always work, but that's a whole different thread), then you might be out of range of the system.

palmerjrusa

Are you sure you have the correct band split G5 for UHF? You need the UHF A or B model.
View attachment 125000
Also, keep in mind, the UHF antenna is built into the G5. You might get the system OK using an external antenna on the scanner, but unless you have the amplified charger to hook the external antenna to (which also doesn't always work, but that's a whole different thread), then you might be out of range of the system.

Yep, I have the G5B66BF-SXUBEN1401UNI (700/800 MHz, UHF B (380-430 MHz)) model.

The JNCR P25 signal is very strong at my location, I tried plugging in individual frequencies in conventional mode and got an RF reading on the unit, no voice though).

This G5 thing is an incredible performer, on a couple systems in adjoining counties that need tuned antennas in my Uniden scanners to receive the G5 will receive and decode with its own supplied antenna.

I've tried all the obvious things, correct system ID (00A) and WACN (580A0) etc.

Its battery life and audio is also amazing.

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Are you sure you're looking at the correct system? 441 sysID is Frederick County
JNCR has numerous sysIDs and none are 441.
Follow the links.

He edited his post after you posted. This is why I always quote someone, if they change their post the original is still in my quote. ;)

16b

Premium Subscriber
If you’re willing to send or post a pps file I would be happy to look at it and see if I can spot anything wrong. I’ve had a G5 for a long time and have spent quite a bit of time with the software.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I have the G5B66BF-SXUBEN1401UNI (700/800 MHz, UHF B (380-430 MHz)) model.

The JNCR P25 signal is very strong at my location, I tried plugging in individual frequencies in conventional mode and got an RF reading on the unit, no voice though).

This G5 thing is an incredible performer, on a couple systems in adjoining counties that need tuned antennas in my Uniden scanners to receive the G5 will receive and decode with its own supplied antenna.

I've tried all the obvious things, correct system ID (00A) and WACN (580A0) etc.

Its battery life and audio is also amazing.
So you are looking for Ft A P Hill (sysID 00A)? Or are you looking for FT Detrick (sysID 006)?

16b

Premium Subscriber
Another thought…

Have you verified the system ID, RFSS, and site number for the site(s) you are trying to receive using a scanner or SDR, or are you just going based on what is in the database?

If any of that informations happens to have changed, scanners usually don’t care because they don’t validate it and go OOR if it doesn’t match like the G5 does. This issue just came up in another thread (New Hanover County Trunking System) where the site ID changed, which caused Unication pagers to stop receiving the system, while scanners continued to work fine.

palmerjrusa

If you’re willing to send or post a pps file I would be happy to look at it and see if I can spot anything wrong. I’ve had a G5 for a long time and have spent quite a bit of time with the software.

Thanks

Where can the pps file be located?

Status
Not open for further replies.