SDS100/SDS200: P25/Squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter2

Hello again, I rose this question awhile back and seem to be having the same fluke again. My local police P25 comes in perfect no problem, no filter alterations, anything. The local transit agency on the other hand, doesn't stay on a talkgroup for more than a second most times if I have the Squelch higher than 1. I've only received a full transmission say like 3 conversations in an hour. Is there some type of correlation? Thanks again!

budevans

You need to provide some additional information about each.
Example, are both departments on the same trunk radio system? Or is one on a Trunk system and the other on a Conventional system? Or are they both on Conventional systems?

Dexter2

Both systems are Trunks and separate systems. Sorry about that, do you need me to post their frequencies?

Ubbe

As they are on different systems it could be a weak signal problem, that the transit agency are received much worse with a too low signal level.

What does the display say about signal bars and the RSSI's dBm value while trying to receive the signal? You can push the button below the SYSTEM text in the display and within 3 sec begin to scroll thru the systems and you will have 3sec to check the signal strenght on that system until it continuos to scan.

This could be a case when you'll need to choose another mode for the filter setting. If the filter now are set to Normal then try the Invert setting, or the other way around.

/Ubbe

Dexter2

As they are on different systems it could be a weak signal problem, that the transit agency are received much worse with a too low signal level.

What does the display say about signal bars and the RSSI's dBm value while trying to receive the signal? You can push the button below the SYSTEM text in the display and within 3 sec begin to scroll thru the systems and you will have 3sec to check the signal strenght on that system until it continuos to scan.

This could be a case when you'll need to choose another mode for the filter setting. If the filter now are set to Normal then try the Invert setting, or the other way around.

/Ubbe

Hi there,

At the moment, Signal Bars are present full five bars and RSSI goes between -50/-60, Squelch is on 2 and the Filter is Wide Invert. But when a Talk Group pops up for not even a full second it seems then the word DATA and RSSI disappear. Also note, the readings only displayed this when I moved the radio from the position that I usually have it in when listening to the police. If I move the radio further back on my desk then signals and RSSI disappear only on the transit system.

Normal filter and Invert filter - signal bars and RSSI disappear in both positions on desk, and Squelch on 2.

I posted this thread because if I move squelch to 1 so all the P25s come in, then the Fire which is an Analog almost busted my ear drum haha.

I just tried it with Wide Normal, and instantly a full conversation picked up same signal bars and RSSI as Wide Invert but now its doing it again, the only thing different is now the word DATA disappears and signal bars and -60 flash or stays put as DATA disappears. When DATA, Signal Bars, and -50 all are present, I haven't received any traffic still says ID Searching. Squelch on 2 for all of this.

Side question, what should the Hold Time for each, I have two p25's, one analog, and one EDAC. Currently, I'm only on the transit system.

As I'm typing this, I have received the original conversation, the next two did not pick up the talk group flashed, and now I just received the fourth one. in this ten minute span. Back in the original position on my desk too.

Last edited:

Dexter2

I currently have one p25, the analog, and the edac in one favorite list - is it wise to have them separated as well?

Dexter2

I'm not sure why but I turned Filter off only on the transit system and I got the RSSI to -35/-45, full signal bars and DATA consistent. But, 1/4 of transmissions still only come in on Squelch 2, if I lower it to 1 then it works perfectly but then I can't monitor the Fire Department because they use Analog. I'm not tech savvy as many on this forum,

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure why but I turned Filter off only on the transit system and I got the RSSI to -35/-45, full signal bars and DATA consistent. But, 1/4 of transmissions still only come in on Squelch 2, if I lower it to 1 then it works perfectly but then I can't monitor the Fire Department because they use Analog. I'm not tech savvy as many on this forum,

Have you ever considered or tried using the attenuator/IFX/Wide Invert...or any combination? That's my recipe for success, depending on the system.

I monitor Starcom which is Illinois statewide. On my SDS200's at home on an outdoor antenna, I have the Global Filter set to Wide Invert and the Attenuator is on both sites I have in the system. I've copied and created a system specific to the SDS200's. I also have an 800 Mhz. trunking system where no attenuation is needed, but I have a 700 mhz P25 conventional system where it is needed. So I've figured out from my home location, any 700 Mhz monitoring will require attenuation.

Now on the SDS100, Global Filter is Wide Invert, no attenuator and works well when I'm out. Global Wide Invert helps my analog systems out too. I have one analog frequency where IFX is also used due to intermod etc. I have also copied a system specifically for the SDS100 without the attenuator in use.

If you're having troubles, it's best to tinker and experiment. My example is one that works for me from my locations and area specific. We can suggest, but really don't know how you want to monitor or signal quality. As many have said here "your results may vary".

Dexter2

Have you ever considered or tried using the attenuator/IFX/Wide Invert...or any combination? That's my recipe for success, depending on the system.

I monitor Starcom which is Illinois statewide. On my SDS200's at home on an outdoor antenna, I have the Global Filter set to Wide Invert and the Attenuator is on both sites I have in the system. I've copied and created a system specific to the SDS200's. I also have an 800 Mhz. trunking system where no attenuation is needed, but I have a 700 mhz P25 conventional system where it is needed. So I've figured out from my home location, any 700 Mhz monitoring will require attenuation.

Now on the SDS100, Global Filter is Wide Invert, no attenuator and works well when I'm out. Global Wide Invert helps my analog systems out too. I have one analog frequency where IFX is also used due to intermod etc. I have also copied a system specifically for the SDS100 without the attenuator in use.

If you're having troubles, it's best to tinker and experiment. My example is one that works for me from my locations and area specific. We can suggest, but really don't know how you want to monitor or signal quality. As many have said here "your results may vary".

Thank you for your insight. In my experience, Attenuator makes things worse on all of my systems. I have IFX on the Transit System, I have tried all of the filters. The only thing I haven't tried yet is the Global Filter on the radio not the system specific. I also haven't tried programming it as a conventional system instead of P25 phase 2. Is there a way to undo the IFX manually on the SDS100? What I find really strange is I receive the transit system better in my home, then I do outside or traveling around town. The only time it worked perfectly without adjusting anything was when I first purchased the radio and I was on a steep hill above town in the direction of the tower anyway and here I thought it would pick up easier outside as there are buses traveling all across this region. I am using a 800mz Remtronix antenna as well.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your insight. In my experience, Attenuator makes things worse on all of my systems. I have IFX on the Transit System, I have tried all of the filters. The only thing I haven't tried yet is the Global Filter on the radio not the system specific. I also haven't tried programming it as a conventional system instead of P25 phase 2. Is there a way to undo the IFX manually on the SDS100? What I find really strange is I receive the transit system better in my home, then I do outside or traveling around town. The only time it worked perfectly without adjusting anything was when I first purchased the radio and I was on a steep hill above town in the direction of the tower anyway and here I thought it would pick up easier outside as there are buses traveling all across this region. I am using a 800mz Remtronix antenna as well.

Hold on the channel and press Function 7...that will turn IFX off.

The only reason why I program a conventional P25 700 mhz system is because it's non-trunking, so I wouldn't suggest trying that on a P25 Phase 2 trunking system. Bus locations don't matter even if they're driving right behind you, what matters is location from the transmitting tower(s). I know you've posted before, and you're not in range or have some outside interference with the signal when driving around. I don't use Retromix antennas because I listen across all bands.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
When everything was Analog, I never had issues haha.

Things have changed since crystal days too. You have to adapt and learn or not get involved in the hobby. The SDS scanners are a few steps above their predecessors, and require alot of patience and willingness to learn.

Dexter2

Things have changed since crystal days too. You have to adapt and learn or not get involved in the hobby. The SDS scanners are a few steps above their predecessors, and require alot of patience and willingness to learn.
Do you have to program the function key because I believe I'm pressing it and holding the number 7 key and nothing happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.