P25 system help

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
Could someone please give me a basic understanding of the p25 system. For example it I want to listen to a county dispatch in a county that has 3 or 4 tower sites, do I need to add all of the towers To my scanner along with the talk groups. Just trying to speed up scanning. Thanks!

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
You'll need at least one site. Pick the one closest to you. If you plan on being mobile you may need to add more to get the coverage you need. It doesn't hurt to have multiple sites but it slows down scan time. So if you're going to be stationary just pick one you can receive well. After that you add the talkgroups you want to monitor. In some instances certain towers don't carry the radio traffic for every talkgroup. For instance on a large statewide system a local police dispatch from the other side of the state likely won't be carried on a tower local to you. This can also apply for a smaller area like a city police dispatch may not be on a tower further out in a rural county area. This is where sometimes you may need to have additional sites programmed. For starters though, I would just start with one tower and see if you can hear what you want to. Then go from there. I'm certain some others will chime in with some links on how to better understand trunked systems, but that should get you going.

DJ11DLN

If these multiple towers are part of a simulcast site you won't be able to not add all of them since they share a site ID. Standalone towers, no, but you might or might not wind up missing a fair bit of the traffic you want to hear. The Safe-T system has a lot of variability so what will work in one county won't necessarily in another.

You will need to add any TGs you want to hear.

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
The county is Franklin county. They have 3 sites. Brookville site is close to me. So if I just put Brookville in if the cars are in the far south part of the county and hit the peppertown tower I would still hear them ok on Brookville?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The county is Franklin county. They have 3 sites. Brookville site is close to me. So if I just put Brookville in if the cars are in the far south part of the county and hit the peppertown tower I would still hear them ok on Brookville?
Only if a radio affiliated with brookville has those tg in its codeplug and in the zone it is currently set on. If the radios affiliated with pepper town and brookville do not have same tg set up then nope

DiGiTaLD

Normally, most local agency groups will be on the sites proximal to those agencies' service areas. So basically, if you are trying to listen to Franklin County talkgroups on a site within Franklin County, odds are you'll be okay just picking the site nearest to you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Could someone please give me a basic understanding of the p25 system. For example it I want to listen to a county dispatch in a county that has 3 or 4 tower sites, do I need to add all of the towers To my scanner along with the talk groups. Just trying to speed up scanning. Thanks!
What model scanner do you have and what programming software are you using?

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
Normally, most local agency groups will be on the sites proximal to those agencies' service areas. So basically, if you are trying to listen to Franklin County talkgroups on a site within Franklin County, odds are you'll be okay just picking the site nearest to you.
Thank you

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is a hpe favorites list file for Union County on the SAFE-T statewide system. There are no sites within Union County. Evidently, Union County uses the sites from Fayette, Franklin, and Wayne Counties. The file includes the single site in Fayette County, the 3 sites in Franklin County, and the 2 sites in Wayne County. The sites are all controlled by quick keys so that you can easily select the site or sites you want to use. The talkgroups for all 4 counties are included. Likewise, you can select the departments you want to monitor using quick keys. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Go to the File tab in Sentinel and Import from hpe file (Favorites List). Select New Favorites List, name it Union Co IN, and click OK. Highlight the extracted file (Union Co IN.hpe) and click on Open. It will appear as a favorites list in Sentinel. Quick keys as follows:

FAVORITES LIST QUICK KEY:
0. Union Co IN
SYSTEM QUICK KEY:
0. Union Co IN
DEPARTMENT/SITE QUICK KEYS:
0. Fayette Co Fire (Dept)
1. Fayette Co Law (Dept)
2. Franklin Co Fire (Dept)
3. Franklin Co Law (Dept)
4. Union Co Fire (Dept)
5. Union Co Law (Dept)
6. Wayne Co Fire (Dept)
7. Wayne Co Law (Dept)
8. Wayne Co Ops (Dept)
9. IN State Police (Dept)
10. SAFE-T Connersville (Fayette Co site)
11. SAFE-T Peppertown (Franklin Co site)
12. SAFE-T St Leon (Franklin Co site)
13. SAFE-T Brookville (Franklin Co site)
14. SAFE-T Dalton (Wayne Co site)
15. SAFE-T Richmond (Wayne Co site)

Attachments

• Union Co IN.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.