• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 System Keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelld

Premium Subscriber
What can you guys tell me about P25 System Keys? Specifically, a P25 Phase 1 System? Do they follow the same format as Smartzone/net System Keys?

immelmen

Not true. An software system key (legacy key) won't allow OmniLink/ISSI roaming to be programmed in an Astro 25 subscriber radio. A hardware advanced system key (ASK) for the system is required.

So what is not true about what I said?

From what I read, the OP was asking about the format of a system key.

If you reread my post, I prefaced my comment with regard to software keys only, and there is no difference in the format of a software system key for a P25 system vs a legacy SN/SZ system.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
So what is not true about what I said?

From what I read, the OP was asking about the format of a system key.

If you reread my post, I prefaced my comment with regard to software keys only, and there is no difference in the format of a software system key for a P25 system vs a legacy SN/SZ system.

you said:

"as far as software system keys go, there is no difference in how they work."

That is not a correct statement.

There are great differences in what Motorola CPS of different product lines allows one to do. In case of Kenwood an EF Johnson keys for P25, other things come into play.

Software keys do NOT allow you to program Smartzone OmniLink or ISSI roaming, nor they will not work on newer products like APX without a special flash option.

So there are key differences in how they work. OP was asking about Project 25 system keys, presumably for Motorola Astro 25 subscriber radios.

Kenwood P25 keys are totally different, as are EF Johnson, even for Motorola Astro 25 systems. Kenwood, for instance, keys are "married" to a serialized copy of KPG, so only authorized persons can program subscriber radios, and connect to an authentication server.

So your analogy isn't really relevant.

Last edited:

XTS3000

MTS2000des, this post is in the Motorola forum, so the OP more than likely is talking about Motorola system keys.

The following statement holds true only for Motorola radios:
A software System Key can be used for Smartzone / Omnilink system with an Astro or Astro25 or APX radio. Your APX needs the proper flashcode option to allow Legacy Software System Key to be used. 3600 (mixed mode) and 9600 (P25 only) systems both can be programmed with a Software Key.

I have to agree with immelmen.

Can you use a Software System Key on a TDMA Phase 2 system, I have no clue.

Last edited:

immelmen

MTS2000des, you and I are talking about two different things. Just so every one is on the same page here and the OP gets good information, lets review.

you said:

"as far as software system keys go, there is no difference in how they work."
Maybe worded poorly on my part, however, the OP was specifically asking about format...as far as the ones and zeros that make up a software key and how one goes about creating them, it works the same if your doing it for either system(assuming Motorola radios) . That was the intent of my response, I thought that obvious based on the specificity of the question.

OP was asking about Project 25 system keys, presumably for Motorola Astro 25 subscriber radios.
This, we agree on seeing as this is the Motorola forum. I would go further to presume he was asking about software keys by the way he wrote the question.

There are great differences in what Motorola CPS of different product lines allows one to do. In case of Kenwood an EF Johnson keys for P25, other things come into play.

Software keys do NOT allow you to program Smartzone OmniLink or ISSI roaming, nor they will not work on newer products like APX without a special flash option.

So there are key differences in how they work.

Kenwood P25 keys are totally different, as are EF Johnson, even for Motorola Astro 25 systems. Kenwood, for instance, keys are "married" to a serialized copy of KPG, so only authorized persons can program subscriber radios, and connect to an authentication server.
All great information, but I dont see the word "format" in there anywhere, so none of it is really relevant to the question asked.

Sorry if my use of the word "work" threw you off but I thought the question being asked was obvious...but just to make everyone happy, here is the accurate answer to the OP's question with all the details to appease the radio police: With regard to legacy software system keys created for SZ/SN or P25 Tunking systems for Motorola Astro and Astro25 (and appropriately optioned APX) subscriber radios, There is no difference in the format of the data contained within the system key.

Last edited:

NorCalrescue

Premium Subscriber
Any assistance with this question would be appreciated:

I have (2) APX7000 portables. Both were originally programmed with a hardware system key. I now would like to utilize software system keys for these radios. M told me I can't switch to software sys key once the radio is programmed the first time with a hardware sys key. $450 each radio to re-flash from scratch...

Any thoughts?

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
Any assistance with this question would be appreciated:

I have (2) APX7000 portables. Both were originally programmed with a hardware system key. I now would like to utilize software system keys for these radios. M told me I can't switch to software sys key once the radio is programmed the first time with a hardware sys key. $450 each radio to re-flash from scratch...

Any thoughts?

In the XTS/XTL there is a new CPS option to change the OWNER SYSTEM ID. I used that feature last summer on a couple dozen radios to turn the WRITE PROTECT OFF and it worked OK, although it was a convoluted process.
Maybe the APX has a similar feature in the newer CPS?

I don't have any APX's around to check if that's an available option.

kb0uxv

I too had that issue with APX hard key sooomoney. Our state system had the hard key, but the neighbor state system is EFJ and had no hard key, only soft. It took some time but eventually my radio vendor got me soft key flashes free of charge. The $450 flash seems fishy to me. Maybe have them look into this more, or try another vendor?

Johnconnor98's procedure works great to take a radio back to soft key (but the hard key used does have to be full rights, not limited). I am not aware of a method to do this with the APX series. Maybe someone else here does? My guess is - not possible since this is a flash option, unlike the XTL/XTS series. I checked some notes and see the APX flash option for soft key is option QA01749AB. On a new radio, this is a no charge option.

Last edited:

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
Um, HELP?

What happened to the Advanced System Key Administrator?

I was trying to do some work on an XTL2500 yesterday and had a problem with the Advanced Key. That's when I noticed the TOOLS-system Keys-Advanced Keys Configuration was greyed out!

I installed CPS 18.00.03 for the XTL series a week or so ago.

(I was able to use a different USB dongle to do my work)

Status
Not open for further replies.