P25 Trunking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
I've been reading and if I understand correctly, when my scanner stops on a p25 frequency the frequency shown during transmission, is a voice channel frequency not the same as the control channel frequency correct? If so, are the voice frequencies to be entered by me or is it done by the programming software when everything is imported from RR? Thanks! :)

marksmith

Most scanners recently manufactured will monitor the control channel and direct the scanner to the voice frequency automatically. Only early models required you to enter all the voice frequencies.

Almost all scanners now support "control channel" only operation.

That being said, it would not be unusual for all frequencies (control, alternate, and voice) to be loaded based on downloads or other ways of programming simply because some old radios still require voice frequencies entered.

There is no issue with having these voice channels programmed in the radio. Most will work without them and they do not slow scanning speed because the radio only monitors the control channel anyway.

I usually program all frequencies of a system.

It is not impossible for a system administrator to reassign a voice channel as a control or alternate control. If this would happen you would no longer get control channel direction to true voice frequencies and no longer hear the system.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
The control channel data stream directs the receiving radio to a voice channel based upon the band plan of the system and calculated for the receiver. This information is in the control channel data stream along with talkgroup data

Status
Not open for further replies.