P25 trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9UNK

I've got SDR and DSD running good to decode p25 phase 1 conventional but I cant for the life of me figure out how to install and run SDRtrunk to monitor trunking for Wiscom in my area. Does anyone have an actual video that doesn't have people rambling on or a step by step instruction guide on how to install it and associate it with my SDR program. I've been trying for 3 days now with no luck at all.

I'm sure it's been asked before on here but going through over 50 pages of stuff isn't working.
Someone please help me.

DSheirer

Premium Subscriber
There's a https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/wiki wiki page that contains a quick start guide that will help you to get setup.

Essentially:
1) Install Java 7 (or higher) JRE or JDK
2) Download the latest release and unzip it. https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/releases
3) Run the appropriate start script (windows or linux).
4) Create a System, Site and then a Channel. Specify the channel frequency in the 'Source' tab and select the 'P25 C4FM' decoder in the 'Decoder' tab. Check the 'Enable' box and save the configuration.

br0adband

There's one aspect of SDR Trunk that seems to get missed: if you want to use SDR Trunk to actually monitor (in terms of listening to audio) P25 Phase I voice channel traffic it requires the compilation of the JBME library so actual P25 Phase I voice channel activity can be decoded into actual voice audio which is what most of us (I presume) actually want. There's no mention of that in the Getting Started guide, and no mention of it at all unless you really dig through almost every aspect of the info at the SDR Trunk Github site, unfortunately.

For that matter when someone looks at the basic info provided about SDR Trunk, P25 isn't even listed as a decoder unless you again go digging into the site's various pages and then happen upon it almost by accident in some respects - the only way some people even know it can do P25 Phase I is by looking at the actual picture on the main Github page or reading comments by some of us talking about the fact that it can. P25 isn't listed as one of the Decoders or even Auxilliary Decoders so it kinda leaves someone wondering in that respect. APCO P25 is listed on the right side of the page in the list of doc pages but I'm guessing that some people do miss that but when it's not listed as a Decoder/Auxilliary Decoder that seems a bit odd to me personally.

I missed it entirely for so long and got frustrated with SDR Trunk to the point where I avoided using it at all and right now I still don't use it because I've had issues getting Java (either the JRE or the JDK) to work properly - I can't stand Java personally and don't install it most of the time for myself, I simply don't have any use for it. But each time I give it a go I end up getting frustrated because no matter what I do the compilation just won't get into gear for some silly reason, usually the path to the javac.exe or something like it, so I modify the path statement in the environment variables so that it's right there plain as day and it still won't work so I give up on it and try again at another time.

So while those instructions above will get SDR Trunk working - I mean you can literally extract it and have it up and decoding a P25 Phase I control channel in under 1 minute - you won't actually hear anything from a P25 Phase I voice channel until that JBME library gets compiled and placed correctly.

I know this should be a bit clearer in the docs for SDR Trunk, maybe now it can be? :)

With respect to what KC9UNK is asking about in the OP above, I'm not sure why someone would want or need to associated SDR Trunk with any other software as it's self-contained and can do all the necessary "grunt work" itself for P25 Phase I (and other digital formats as the software is designed).

Or am I just missing something else? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.