P25 voice channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

west-pac

Watching P25 towers on a DSD+ and UT, all of the available voice channels on a particular tower do not populate immediately, but they populate as needed when the tower gets busier. If a tower has 1 CC, and 1 ACC, when the ACC starts being used as a voice channel, is that when a tower is considered full, and there are no more voice channels available to populate? Several of my local P25 towers have more frequencies on their license than what I can get DSD or UT to populate, but recently I saw a tower start using the ACC as a voice channel when the tower was extremely busy. I'm curious if the ACC is used as a voice channel as a last resort, as the only remaining available voice channel; or if another user would've keyed up if it would've populated another voice channel.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Assuming you're referring to the Indiana SAFE-T system, which is a Motorola ASTRO 25 system, then yes...certain channels are considered "protected" and will be the last used as traffic channels as the site nears full call capacity. The control channels are generally the next to last to be used for traffic, with the BSI channel (Base Station Identification) actually being the "most protected" channel, if provisioned at the site.

west-pac

Assuming you're referring to the Indiana SAFE-T system, which is a Motorola ASTRO 25 system, then yes...certain channels are considered "protected" and will be the last used as traffic channels as the site nears full call capacity. The control channels are generally the next to last to be used for traffic, with the BSI channel (Base Station Identification) actually being the "most protected" channel, if provisioned at the site.

From my experience the BSI channel will be used before the ACC. The BSI channel usually doesn't show up until the tower IDs, or its needed for a voice channel, but it's always used before the ACC.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
From my experience the BSI channel will be used before the ACC. The BSI channel usually doesn't show up until the tower IDs, or its needed for a voice channel, but it's always used before the ACC.
If the site only has a single ACC, then that is true, BSI first.

Status
Not open for further replies.