• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

P25 Vs the Minitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southtown800

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
308
Location
Manhattan, New York, 10005
what happens when a town or city moves their ops to P25 and they still have VFD companies?....are they ever going to come out with a P25 minitor?
 

safetyobc

Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
3,345
Location
South Arkansas
Southtown800 said:
what happens when a town or city moves their ops to P25 and they still have VFD companies?....are they ever going to come out with a P25 minitor?
I'm sure they will in the future.

But for now, I think most of them either operate on different frequencies, or use a simulcast frequency.

That is whay a local dispatch center is doing here. Most of their comms have moved to P25. But they use a simulcast VHF-High frequency for tone outs.
 

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
Joined
Mar 20, 2004
Messages
1,786
Location
Lewis Center, OH
safetyobc said:
I'm sure they will in the future.

But for now, I think most of them either operate on different frequencies, or use a simulcast frequency.

That is whay a local dispatch center is doing here. Most of their comms have moved to P25. But they use a simulcast VHF-High frequency for tone outs.
That's exactly what the county just north of me do too. They just moved to digital, but keep their VHF frequency for volunteer tone outs and mutual aid. :)
 

Bill2k

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
279
Location
New Hampshire
In NH, 90% of the PD's use conventional systems with APCO 25. The state also consists of mostly VFD's which have kept their analog radios. Here in rockingham county if the police need to talk to fire, they use the fire channels in analog mode. This probably doesn't answer your question but it may help you figure out what will happen in your area if the PD is going digital.
 

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Messages
10,907
Location
Central Ontario
Southtown800 said:
what happens when a town or city moves their ops to P25 and they still have VFD companies?....are they ever going to come out with a P25 minitor?
Very unlikely.

Makes more sense to keep an analog channel that can be used to page out the volunteers.

A local system that moved to 800Mhz trunking switched their volunteers over to VHF alphanumeric pagers.

Another system that went digital left their old analog channel up and use it to page out the volunteers.
 

car2back

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
3,010
Location
Tulsa, OK
We have a similar senario in the Tulsa, OK area....

Catoosa VFD is dispatched by Tulsa Fire dispatch on an analog (not P25) talk group the Tulsa/OKDPS 800 Trunking system, which is also patched to a VHF repeater for use with their Minitor pagers.
works pretty good most of the time
 

Southtown800

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
308
Location
Manhattan, New York, 10005
so it will be highly unlikely to ever see a P25 Minitor?....that sucks, of all the stuff they come out with i am suprised this has not hit the market yet, it would prob cost around $800 - $1000 anyway,
 

car2back

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
3,010
Location
Tulsa, OK
Southtown800 said:
so it will be highly unlikely to ever see a P25 Minitor?....that sucks, of all the stuff they come out with i am suprised this has not hit the market yet, it would prob cost around $800 - $1000 anyway,
Why are you suprised? How often do you see a full volunteer Fire dept operating on a P25 system?
 
Last edited:

BoxAlarm187

Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
1,502
Location
Old Dominion
phil_smith said:
Why are you suprised? How often do you see a full volunteer Fire dept operating on a P25 system?
Things in Virginia are typically "county" based, but I know for a fact that the following counties, which are either completely or mostly volunteer are on digital trunked 800MHz systems: Culpeper, Orange, Fauquier. Fauquier County alone has 14 different volunteer fire & EMS agencies in it, a Culpeper and Orange each have about five-eight. All agencies are included in the respective county's P25 system.
 

car2back

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
3,010
Location
Tulsa, OK
BoxAlarm187 said:
Things in Virginia are typically "county" based, but I know for a fact that the following counties, which are either completely or mostly volunteer are on digital trunked 800MHz systems: Culpeper, Orange, Fauquier. Fauquier County alone has 14 different volunteer fire & EMS agencies in it, a Culpeper and Orange each have about five-eight. All agencies are included in the respective county's P25 system.
must be nice to have that kind of support from the county! I payed for my own VHF handheld and my own minitor! (and my nomex, gloves, boots, helmet, uniform, and half of the equipment on the truck I am assigned to!)
 
Last edited:

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
Southtown800 said:
so it will be highly unlikely to ever see a P25 Minitor?....that sucks, of all the stuff they come out with i am suprised this has not hit the market yet, it would prob cost around $800 - $1000 anyway,
I'm curious...what would be gained by having a P25 Minitor?
 

BoxAlarm187

Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
1,502
Location
Old Dominion
Phil, generally speaking, most departments in Virginia are very well supported by the county. Naturally, this varies from locality to locality. For example, the rural county I live in is 270 square miles with a population of about 27,000. There are five independent volunteer fire companies (dispatched by the county, using extensive mutual aid - 3 companies for structural assignments, etc) and one rescue squad (EMS only) from three different stations.

The county paid to do a $1.5M radio system upgrade about 3 years ago, they're building my station at new $1.75M building in about 6 months, and they buy all of the fire apparatus with the exception of the chief's cars. They also buy our PPE and pay for our fuel and insurance. As the chief of my VFD, I have to remind our guys not to take our county's support for granted -- there are a lot of departments just like yours, where members must pay out of thier pockets for thier goods.

(And before anyone asks, the price tag for the station reflects a building that will house our fire equipment, act as a sub-station for the ambulance service, and also have a office for the sheriff's deputies & state police to complete reports and make telephone calls. It's also being designed to house career staff sometime in the future.)

As for Macomb's question, I guess the only real advantages of a P25 pager would be: 1) it frees up a VHF or UHF paging channel and 2) it would eliminate interference since Minitors can't be programmed with a PL. Regardless, it hardly seems worth the time, effort, and money that it would be.
 

DELCOLHFC

Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
569
Location
S.E. PA
phil_smith said:
must be nice to have that kind of support from the county! I payed for my own VHF handheld and my own minitor! (and my nomex, gloves, boots, helmet, uniform, and half of the equipment on the truck I am assigned to!)



Not to swerve off topic BUT, if you didn't buy your own "nomex,gloves, boots, helmet...." would the County/Dept allow you to operate on scene? And if so how can they justify that legally? Or are you buying upgraded items in place of the low bid issued gear? Again sorry for the thread hijacking but things around here operate a little differently I suppose. (greater population and associated tax base maybe....)
By the way as far as vollys working on digital systems, from where I am sitting I can listen to 5 counties in three states operating on APCO-25 systems and they are all almost totally volly with only a handful of combination and career depts in the mix. Not to bust your stones, just to share a little info from back east.
 

car2back

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
3,010
Location
Tulsa, OK
DELCOLHFC said:
Not to swerve off topic BUT, if you didn't buy your own "nomex,gloves, boots, helmet...." would the County/Dept allow you to operate on scene? And if so how can they justify that legally? Or are you buying upgraded items in place of the low bid issued gear? Again sorry for the thread hijacking but things around here operate a little differently I suppose. (greater population and associated tax base maybe....)
By the way as far as vollys working on digital systems, from where I am sitting I can listen to 5 counties in three states operating on APCO-25 systems and they are all almost totally volly with only a handful of combination and career depts in the mix. Not to bust your stones, just to share a little info from back east.
We don't have the luxury of County wide fire dept here in OK yet (I would love to see them here); we are an independant rural volunteer FD, supported by state & federal grants and dontations. When i was hired, our dept was around 3 years old, and didn't have enough equipment for all the new people (we did have new turnout gear, thanks to a FEMA grant). Right now, we staff about 12 vollies and are still getting on our feet!

Our county (Osage, OK) is pretty sparse all the way around... there's a vote coming up to form a County Health Dept in a couple weeks!
 
Last edited:

NeFire242

Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
1,528
Location
Nebraska
phil_smith said:
How often do you see a full volunteer Fire dept operating on a P25 system?
You're starting to see more and more actually because more county-wide, regional and state trunked systems are being built. All of the volunteer fire depts within Douglas County Nebraska are on the Omaha P25 system.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top