• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 , XTS 2500 and ADP encryption ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabarnak

Hello all,

There is a system here with a real version 7 P25 system and the talkgroup is using ADP Encryption ...

if i know someone working in this group that i can borrow he's radio ( XTS 2500 ) am i able to pull the ADP Key so i can copy it to another radio for scanning purpose only! by cloning the radio or pulling out from the key from a MENU or any other information you have that could help getting a key from a registered radio...

Thank you !

clanusb

im not 100% sure, but im going to say no.

you cant clone his radio because of the radio ID and affliation problems if its trunking.
and im pretty sure that the keys have to be loaded using the special key loader.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
You can't see the key in CPS. It is all "*" once the entry is complete, like when you enter in a password on the internet.

As to cloning, it depends on a few factors like is the codeplug itself password protected or is the infinite retention checked in the codeplug.

You and your friend are treading into a grey area here as the encryption key is not public domain and there are federal laws that prohibit what you are trying to do. If this person in this group is a LE officer he should know better.

N

N_Jay

I would hope that anyone running encryption would set the code plug so the key can not be transferred.
I would also expect that to be either the only way, or at least the default setting.

I would also hope that anyone issued a radio with encryption would value their position enough to not help someone try to defeat it. (But that is a different topic.)

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Those radio are designed to not allow you to download the key. Also, if you leave that radio off charge/power too long, it will wipe the encryption off of it and have to be reprogrammed.

Even though by law it's illegal to decrypt an encrypted signal, I just wonder how hard it is to set up a program that would be able to read the encryption code, just like a trunktracker radio can read the TRS data stream.

N

N_Jay

Those radio are designed to not allow you to download the key. Also, if you leave that radio off charge/power too long, it will wipe the encryption off of it and have to be reprogrammed.
You can not program radios not to lose keys with a loss of power.

It is not recommended for high security situations, but is helpful in typical public safety fleets.

Even though by law it's illegal to decrypt an encrypted signal, I just wonder how hard it is to set up a program that would be able to read the encryption code, just like a trunktracker radio can read the TRS data stream.

Very hard. It is not simply a matter of reverse engineering an encoded bit stream. The bits are encrypted.

There have been MANY threads on the topics, some with some very good links to source material covering the topic.

wlmr

The part about not being to get the actual key out of a radio is absolutely correct.

There is a setting that allows the radio to retain the key even if the power is removed for long periods of time. The people who program the radio would know whether this option is on or off.

If the radio does keep the radio for long periods I guess that gives you even longer to prove to yourself that the key cannot be read out of the radio. Of course, do the wrong thing while attempting it and you may find a way to blank the keys in the radio. There are things in programming software and right on the radio's that WILL immediately clear any and all keys.

Simple answer, leave the radio alone, you can't get the key that way and your friend shouldn't be trying to help you. If your friend is a good friend you should be nice and help him keep his job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.