P25RX Arduino/Teensy Display project

goldmyne99

A project in the works...
A PJRC Teensy 4.0 microcontroller (ARM Cortex-M7 at 600 MHz) with a 3.2 inch Touchscreen ili9341 display connected to the P25RX.

The Teensy 4.0 has a USB Host to connect to the P25RX.
The Arduino IDE is used to program the Teensy 4.0.

Still on the breadboard....
p25RXdisplay.JPG

For the picture, the display is sitting on top of a Bud Industries Grabber Style B Plastic Box model #HH-3420.

My goal is to put the P25RX, Teensy, ESP8266 WiFi module, and a small audio board/speakers all inside the HH-3420 case.

Just having fun with my P25RX. I hope you are too!

goldmyne99

My Project update.

The P25RX, Audio Amp /Speakers, Battery pack, ili9341 Touchscreen and microcontroller all fit inside the enclosure. Hot glue is your friend :)

Some of my TO DO list.

Mount an antenna connector.
Mount an on/off switch with volume control.
Mount a battery charging port, etc.

p25rxcase2.JPG

p25rxCase.JPG

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Anyone willing to share how they did it and possibly the code for the arduino etc?

goldmyne99

The P25RX sends serial data out its usb. The Teensy 4.0 has a USB host.
It can connect to the USB port of the P25RX and read the serial data. The same as the console screen in BTConfig. The Arduino IDE programs the Teensy using the USB Host library. Then it is just a matter of parsing the serial data from the P25RX to display the info you wish to view on touchscreen.

This is the same process used in my Android app. Connect to the P25RX usb and parse the serial data.

Last edited:

goldmyne99

I should also add that the BTT P25RX Display may also work well inside this case. As discussed in other threads, the BTT P25RX Display is open source.

Last edited:

kinglou0

Very nice! Thanks for posting a picture of the “guts” showing how you had everything arranged inside the case.

Really need to get my own case finished up.

goldmyne99

Finished my TODO list. I am very happy with my custom P25RX "handheld" unit.

Here are a few final pics of antenna connector, on/off volume control, and screen shots. I replaced the audio amp and speaker from my first mock up.

p25rx_case.jpg

p25rx_screens.jpg

Everything works well, thanks to the great P25RX hardware. Thanks, Todd!!

The Arduino/Teensy 4.0 sketch I wrote for the ili9341 touch display is very specific for the systems that I monitor. Now, I am hardcoding a few hundred Radio IDs to display the alias name.

If there are other serious DIYers, feel free to contact me direct message here with any questions.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy your P25RX!

goldmyne99

Thank you.

This is my personal project. I will not be selling anything. I just enjoy projects like this.

FreqNout

Mr. G99 - Fantastic work! I have a spare teensy 4.1 and wired it to my p25rx rig. Got serial data. I am all in on rollin my own hand-held rig. Tnx for posting your project ideas.

You have a screenshot above showing a WIFI Option. What's that??

goldmyne99

Thank you. I look forward to seeing your custom design and sharing of ideas.

The WIFI Option sends the touchscreen info to any WiFi device with a web browser.

Take a look at my post#11 in the "Simple Android App for P25RX" thread for my first test of the WiFi browser display on my Apple SE.

Now working on replicating the look/feel of my touchscreen to a web page interface for WiFi display/control. I'm just having fun with the P25RX.

pcman67

Radio and electronics enthusiast since the ‘70’s
Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I look forward to seeing your custom design and sharing of ideas.

The WIFI Option sends the touchscreen info to any WiFi device with a web browser.

Take a look at my post#11 in the "Simple Android App for P25RX" thread for my first test of the WiFi browser display on my Apple SE.

Now working on replicating the look/feel of my touchscreen to a web page interface for WiFi display/control. I'm just having fun with the P25RX.

@goldmyne99 , I really enjoy seeing the progress you are making on all of your experimentations. Great work! Thanks for sharing your progress and sharing the information with all of us. I hope this inspires others to experiment with this fantastic little device.

If I ever get some free time, I fully intend to do a bit of experimentation myself, but my two year old takes up a lot of my free time these days. Hoping some upcoming vacation time allows for that.

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
Same here! Radio comes between my 4 & 8 year old kids, plus my full time gig.

@goldmyne99 , I really enjoy seeing the progress you are making on all of your experimentations. Great work! Thanks for sharing your progress and sharing the information with all of us. I hope this inspires others to experiment with this fantastic little device.

If I ever get some free time, I fully intend to do a bit of experimentation myself, but my two year old takes up a lot of my free time these days. Hoping some upcoming vacation time allows for that.

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I need to do some research on this device. It looks like a nice form factor to make a mobile control head.

@goldmyne99 I have been too lazy to work on my version of your project.

I wanted to share this info on an Arduino usb host device with a display.

The Seeed Wio Terminal

www.adafruit.com/product/4707

Do you think it can connect up to the p25rx rig usb for a display like your teensy handheld unit project???

goldmyne99

Do you think it can connect up to the p25rx rig usb for a display like your teensy handheld unit project???
In a quick look, the specs do support usb host and the Arduino library for this device appears to support USB CDC-ACM. My code would not directly work as it is based on the teensy usb host library.

I am just finishing another P25RX test project. I may post about it soon if it works out.

I have to order this Wio device to see what it can do. You never know unless you try.

Thanks for the info!