P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing

btt

Banned
Banned
@brndnstffrd, how about you? Is the latest version 2021-07-17_1200 working ok (or any of the previous 2 versions) working ok at 400 MHz? Thank you in advance!

shirsch101

Premium Subscriber
I am having a problem now whenever I set "Switch the control after x seconds to zero it stops scanning no matter what mcu I set to
If I set the switch the control channel to 1 or above it starts scanning again

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
I am having a problem now whenever I set "Switch the control after x seconds to zero it stops scanning no matter what mcu I set to
If I set the switch the control channel to 1 or above it starts scanning again
Thanks for finding that issue. I can confirm it doesn't seem to work correctly. I will be working on the scanning mode as much as possible for the next couple of weeks.

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
Running 2021-07-17:1706. Seems to be working perfectly fine. I wonder what the advantage is of the various MCU speeds. With my V version, should I just leave this at default of 400 MHz?

Also, maybe it's my imagination, or some local enhancement, but VHF signals seem much better.

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
Spoke too soon. The "thump" has reappeared after many versions during roaming. I am reverting back...it's too difficult to listen to.

btt

Banned
Banned
Running 2021-07-17:1706. Seems to be working perfectly fine. I wonder what the advantage is of the various MCU speeds. With my V version, should I just leave this at default of 400 MHz?

Also, maybe it's my imagination, or some local enhancement, but VHF signals seem much better.
Yeah, just leave it at 400 MHz or run at 480 MHz. It is up to you. It is configurable for now because it was necessary for testing to have different speeds. I just left it configurable in case there is a difference. The improvement may not be your imagination. The latest version has a change to the frequency correction that is more like it used to be in the past. It may be an improvement for non-roaming operation.

Spoke too soon. The "thump" has reappeared after many versions during roaming. I am reverting back...it's too difficult to listen to.
I don't remember the "thump", but I assume it is a low-frequency thump sound when roaming?

brndnstffrd

I haven't upgraded yet so I cant check any of the other improvements, I can confirm that the choppiness I was experiencing doesn't occur when running at 480. This is on version 2021-07-14 16:17.

This probably isn't too useful at the moment since you have released several updates and new versions since then, but I will be testing the newest release in the morning.

I also haven't experienced the issues @Cheeseburgers has with the Signal Insights freezing, so it may be an issue related to his particular setup.

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
The "thump" is a staccato low-frequency sound at regular intervals during CC scanning. I commented on it when you first switched the default audio frequency. You cannot monitor when it is going on. I don't have it on the previous release (7-16:1609).

btt

Banned
Banned
The "thump" is a staccato low-frequency sound at regular intervals during CC scanning. I commented on it when you first switched the default audio frequency. You cannot monitor when it is going on. I don't have it on the previous release (7-16:1609).
I'll see if I can reproduce. You mean the audio frequency on the PC Audio tab in BTConfig for PC playback? The audio frequency for line-out and BT has never changed. I'll see if I can reproduce.

I haven't upgraded yet so I cant check any of the other improvements, I can confirm that the choppiness I was experiencing doesn't occur when running at 480. This is on version 2021-07-14 16:17.

This probably isn't too useful at the moment since you have released several updates and new versions since then, but I will be testing the newest release in the morning.

I also haven't experienced the issues @Cheeseburgers has with the Signal Insights freezing, so it may be an issue related to his particular setup.
I'll look forward to hearing how 400 MHz operation does for you. If it works for you, I will call the potential 'Y' issue resolved unless something else comes up. I don't think Cheeseburgers was having issues with a lock up, but the RSSI meter was disappearing due to changes in timing. Another user reported that issue is fixed now.

btt

Banned
Banned
@turnpike61, I'm not able to reproduce here. I will be working on making significant changes to the scanning over the next 2 weeks to allow non-trunked scanning of multiple modes (conventional, analog, etc). No guarantees, but that is the plan. Let me know if the issue doesn't go away after that and I will drill down with more questions to get it figured out.

shirsch101

Premium Subscriber
I installed the latest firmware and things are worse. The unit sounds like it is stuck in an audio loop just clicking every second or so. Does not scan when set to zero seconds. Thinking I need to do a hard reset of the P25RX how do I do that?
This is weird, The last sound made on a system before it switches to the next system while roaming continually repeats every time to site switch to another site.

Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
I installed the latest firmware and things are worse. The unit sounds like it is stuck in an audio loop just clicking every second or so. Does not scan when set to zero seconds. Thinking I need to do a hard reset of the P25RX how do I do that?
Thanks
Very strange. So it actually locked up? I may still have something wrong in the new clock speed switch on start-up. Maybe this is what Turnpike was having issues with. Setting roaming to zero here works fine on a couple of units with the latest firmware. You can do the 'hold TG button on power-up for 10 seconds' to put it in bootloader mode. Once the leds are flashing rapidly (bootloader), then load the older firmware that worked for you.

shirsch101

Premium Subscriber
Went to Boot loader mode and loaded 6-17-21 15:18. I have 3 sites loaded and it start to scan the 3 sites but stopped on the primary frequency after a few seconds and stayed on it. Changed the switch channel from zero to one and it started to scan again and the popping type noise beween scans of t=each site has stopped. I have never had an issue with the switch channel set to zero while scanning before.