P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing

btt

Banned
Banned
It does happen on Linux. My laptop can dual boot to either Windows 10 or Linux Mint. In either operating system, the programs talk group log stops reporting new entries after running for a few hours. I tested it today. Also in the status area, talkgroups stop showing, and signal strength meter stops showing. Audio continues. Both in Windows 10 and Linux. Could something in my PC affect both Windows and Linux?
Ok, I'm going to watch for this issue more closely here. Still running, but I did reset the software a couple of hours ago during some testing. My internet is up and down this afternoon, so I may have trouble replying to posts until it gets resolved.

btt

Banned
Banned
Please test 2021-07-2_2217. This version decouples a delay that was tied to the MCU clock speed. This may fix the issue with logs and RSSI display stopping after a period of time.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have just installed _2217 and am running it now. Will let it run until something happens (or not).

Reactions: btt

Mike_G_D

Todd - a suggestion -

When looking at the Advanced tab the selection for the MCU clock speed with the dropdown choices always shows the default of 400 MHz whenever the program is restarted. But that does not reflect the actual set clock speed, at least in my case. I now have it set for 480 MHz (confirmed with the console command mcu_speed) but the setting in the Advanced panel still shows 400 MHz.

I think there should be either a seperate window showing "Current Set MCU Clock Speed" or the dropdown window should be updated to show what the actual setting is currently at. Otherwise, I can see this causing confusion with users in the future who may not be aware of this and did not check their actual clock speed with the mcu_speed console command before reporting issues to you.

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
Todd - a suggestion -

When looking at the Advanced tab the selection for the MCU clock speed with the dropdown choices always shows the default of 400 MHz whenever the program is restarted. But that does not reflect the actual set clock speed, at least in my case. I now have it set for 480 MHz (confirmed with the console command mcu_speed) but the setting in the Advanced panel still shows 400 MHz.

I think there should be either a seperate window showing "Current Set MCU Clock Speed" or the dropdown window should be updated to show what the actual setting is currently at. Otherwise, I can see this causing confusion with users in the future who may not be aware of this and did not check their actual clock speed with the mcu_speed console command before reporting issues to you.

-Mike
The clock rate doesn't actually change until the hardware is reset/power-cycled. Your point is good. I should show the current clock next to the version information. I will get this added. The known potential issue for 'Y' variant MCUs will cause an unexpected reset when running above 400 MHz. There is no possibility of damage of running at the higher speed, but due differences in the internal core voltage regulation, some Y devices may experience a bus-fault or other error when running at the 480 MHz speed, which in turn causes an interrupt handler, which will force a hardware reset. I suspect this has only been an occasional issue with a couple of devices so far.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have just installed _2217 and am running it now. Will let it run until something happens (or not).
_2217 ran continuously in Windows 10 for 11 hours before the talkgroup log stopped reporting new activity, and talkgroups and signal meter stopped showing in the status area.

btt

Banned
Banned
_2217 ran continuously in Windows 10 for 11 hours before the talkgroup log stopped reporting new activity, and talkgroups and signal meter stopped showing in the status area.
I know I already asked Cheeseburgers this, but does the console stop scrolling when this happens?

btt

Banned
Banned
Please test version 2021-007-24_0403. This will run the MCU at 408 MHz minimum. This allows the USB clock source to change to a different PLL with exactly 48 MHz. There is also a small delay change to the audio-over-USB to prevent starting of USB transmit during in-use. This makes an audible difference.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I spoke too soon re: _0403. When holding on a talkgroup, it seems it will eventually fail. Sometimes after only a few minutes; sometimes after a few hours. Symptoms are the "RF Sig Level" colored bars disappear, and the "Console" window stops scrolling. Scanning a system without holding on a talkgroup seems to work okay.

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
I spoke too soon re: _0403. When holding on a talkgroup, it seems it will eventually fail. Sometimes after only a few minutes; sometimes after a few hours. Symptoms are the "RF Sig Level" colored bars disappear, and the "Console" window stops scrolling. Scanning a system without holding on a talkgroup seems to work okay.
That is a strange one. Will see if I can reproduce here with the latest release.

Cheeseburgers

Sorry for this..

1627350034345.png

Not hooked up for a minute, GUI stopped, RSSI stopped, TG Info stopped and console stopped... audio is going, crystal clear tho.

-S