P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing

Mike_G_D

I haven't tried 7-20_1036 yet but in the last few versions I have seen a couple minor things:

1) Talk groups with numbers way higher than the normal system TG's like 11520 (not used in the system, could be valid but all others are below 3000 decimal) and 65535 (definitely odd!) showing up in the Talk Group Editor unknown log. I can delete them and restart (don't save in the device memory) but they seem to still creep back in after awhile.

2) Audio has some sharp distortion at the peaks with occasional cutting out. Very much like how I remember the audio being way back when I first started using the P25RX with early firmware. That went away after a short bit of version changes then came back for awhile then went away for a long time until very recently with the last few versions. This isn't a major amount of distortion just a occasional but enough for me to notice.

Running 400 MHz with "V" version and no change to settings since before the clock speed testing versions started coming out.

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
I haven't tried 7-20_1036 yet but in the last few versions I have seen a couple minor things:

1) Talk groups with numbers way higher than the normal system TG's like 11520 (not used in the system, could be valid but all others are below 3000 decimal) and 65535 (definitely odd!) showing up in the Talk Group Editor unknown log. I can delete them and restart (don't save in the device memory) but they seem to still creep back in after awhile.

2) Audio has some sharp distortion at the peaks with occasional cutting out. Very much like how I remember the audio being way back when I first started using the P25RX with early firmware. That went away after a short bit of version changes then came back for awhile then went away for a long time until very recently with the last few versions. This isn't a major amount of distortion just a occasional but enough for me to notice.

Running 400 MHz with "V" version and no change to settings since before the clock speed testing versions started coming out.

-Mike
The TG issue you describe is almost certainly because there is no crc check for the control information embedded in the voice channels. Occasional errors are going to get through for the talk groups. Once you have talk groups populated, you can turn off the "auto populate" option. This will prevent that issue. I guess a better way would be to verify a new talk group by waiting to see if multiple times before adding it to the table. I may work on this later. I'm not sure about the audio issue. I haven't really changed anything related to audio quality for a while (that I can find). The MCU peripheral drivers were updated on June 2nd. This required a sample rate change. It might be related to that. I can't hear a difference here, but I have not tried going back to an older version yet.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Question: When I am holding on a single talkgroup, should that talkgroup be continuously displayed under "Status" at the bottom of the screen, or only when there's traffic on it? It seems to work that way early on, but after running for a while, the held talkgroup stops showing, even when it's active.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
In addition to what I posted above, the "RF Sig Level" stops showing any indication of a signal after a while, although it continues to receive normally.

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
In addition to what I posted above, the "RF Sig Level" stops showing any indication of a signal after a while, although it continues to receive normally.

I will see if I can reproduce on Windows. I thought this issue was fixed.

Todd,
You are a genius, your last update fixed my scanning issue!
Whatever you did worked !!
Thanks
Steve
Glad to hear it!

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I will see if I can reproduce on Windows. I thought this issue was fixed.

I just checked the program (_1441) after having it running continuously for a few hours. I found that it stopped running altogether; the talk group activity log showed no activity on the held talkgroup for over four hours. This is my city's main dispatch talkgroup which was active during this period. Shutting the software down and restarting fixes it, at least for a while.

Cheeseburgers

Ran it for a few hours, but no audio over usb, just line out and laptop for the GUI, no issues at all.

btt

Banned
Banned
I just checked the program (_1441) after having it running continuously for a few hours. I found that it stopped running altogether; the talk group activity log showed no activity on the held talkgroup for over four hours. This is my city's main dispatch talkgroup which was active during this period. Shutting the software down and restarting fixes it, at least for a while.
What version of Java are you using?

Ran it for a few hours, but no audio over usb, just line out and laptop for the GUI, no issues at all.
Glad to hear it.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Running for over six hours continuously; one trunked system; no roaming, no talkgroup hold. No problems noted.
I spoke too soon. After about seven hours, Talk Group Log no longer reporting any new activity; talkgroups and signal strength bars no longer showing up in the status area. However I can still hear voice traffic.

Cheeseburgers

Any chance of allowing us to adjust the dynamics of the audio? Like a HP filter would be nice to cut all the bass out, or a good portion of it.. just a thought

btt

Banned
Banned
I spoke too soon. After about seven hours, Talk Group Log no longer reporting any new activity; talkgroups and signal strength bars no longer showing up in the status area. However I can still hear voice traffic.
Yeah I get same, but signal bars work... log stops though
Strange problem. It doesn't happen on Linux. I'll look through logs and see what might have changed recently. Do you guys know when it started?

Any chance of allowing us to adjust the dynamics of the audio? Like a HP filter would be nice to cut all the bass out, or a good portion of it.. just a thought
I'll put that on the list. I think I had it in there at one point. I probably didn't document it.

Cheeseburgers

Over the last few revisions, it was rock solid previously... now the log drops but I am still getting audio over USB and line out, occasionally the RSSI indicator stops.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Strange problem. It doesn't happen on Linux. I'll look through logs and see what might have changed recently. Do you guys know when it started?

It does happen on Linux. My laptop can dual boot to either Windows 10 or Linux Mint. In either operating system, the programs talk group log stops reporting new entries after running for a few hours. I tested it today. Also in the status area, talkgroups stop showing, and signal strength meter stops showing. Audio continues. Both in Windows 10 and Linux. Could something in my PC affect both Windows and Linux?