P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing

btt

Banned
Banned
Good enough. I’ll update later today. 1819 was Wednesday’s stable. No worries. On it.
Sorry, there were a bunch of changes and versions related to getting TDMA CC support added in.

There is one more change to the testing version related to P2 hanging on a voice channel when it should return to the control channel. This may only be an issue with the TDMA CC mode, but if you are seeing this issue, then this should be a solution.

epersson

Feed Provider
Sorry, there were a bunch of changes and versions related to getting TDMA CC support added in.

There is one more change to the testing version related to P2 hanging on a voice channel when it should return to the control channel. This may only be an issue with the TDMA CC mode, but if you are seeing this issue, then this should be a solution.
Was the hanging the p25 or the btConfig. The p25 looked to be still scanning. It got and appeared to released voice grants according to the leds. It was just btConfig which wasn’t sending audio to the pc. I didn’t look to see if it showed scanning. It shut down fine. Just had a bunch of bt3 bt4 lines.

I’ll update in a couple hours.

epersson

Feed Provider
Was the hanging the p25 or the btConfig. The p25 looked to be still scanning. It got and appeared to released voice grants according to the leds. It was just btConfig which wasn’t sending audio to the pc. I didn’t look to see if it showed scanning. It shut down fine. Just had a bunch of bt3 bt4 lines.

I’ll update in a couple hours.
Up on 08-02-0821 as of 14:45 eastern

epersson

Feed Provider

@btt if you want to hear what your creation sounds like the feed is up and running, Broward County Fire-rescue.
Most of the transmissions are P25p2, two less chatty systems are P25 running as P1. I have it set to 100ms delay and 2sec on CC timeout, when I set it to 0 it switched faster but with a sds100 sitting next to it I seemed to be missing some or the very start of some TXs. It sounds great!!!

Reactions: btt

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, the same issue I mentioned previously in post #1038 is still occurring in release _1401.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Issue is not fixed in _0334.

Notice that when the issue occurs, the console stops scrolling, and you can no longer enter any commands, such as to stop the following of a talkgroup. Following of a single talkgroup is problematic; if I'm not holding a talkgroup the issue doesn't seem to occur.

Cheeseburgers

FWIW... switching back between latest stable and experimental... stable has a better receive, by a few db, its weird, back on stable for now. no issues for my use-case.

btt

Banned
Banned

Notice that when the issue occurs, the console stops scrolling, and you can no longer enter any commands, such as to stop the following of a talkgroup. Following of a single talkgroup is problematic; if I'm not holding a talkgroup the issue doesn't seem to occur.
Will try holding on a TG here.

btt

Banned
Banned

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue yet, but did find a potential cause. Please try version 2021-08-06_0521. Note this is a BTConfig-only update and not a firmware update.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been able to reproduce this issue yet, but did find a potential cause. Please try version 2021-08-06_0521. Note this is a BTConfig-only update and not a firmware update.
_0521 ran for about an hour holding on a single talkgroup before exhibiting the same behavior.

I did notice that in the "Console" tab, although it stops scrolling, I am apparently still able to issue follow and unfollow commands, and they appear to work, but no talkgroup or talkgroups appear in the "Status" area at the bottom, so I have to go by the traffic I hear to determine what the actual talkgroup being received is.

And, "RF Sig Level" stops showing any bars, but the data shown in the "Signal Insights" tab continues to work normally.

Theory: Could it have something to do with holding on a talkgroup that is suddenly patched to another talkgroup? Or becomes unpatched?

btt

Banned
Banned
_0521 ran for about an hour holding on a single talkgroup before exhibiting the same behavior.

I did notice that in the "Console" tab, although it stops scrolling, I am apparently still able to issue follow and unfollow commands, and they appear to work, but no talkgroup or talkgroups appear in the "Status" area at the bottom, so I have to go by the traffic I hear to determine what the actual talkgroup being received is.

And, "RF Sig Level" stops showing any bars, but the data shown in the "Signal Insights" tab continues to work normally.

Theory: Could it have something to do with holding on a talkgroup that is suddenly patched to another talkgroup? Or becomes unpatched?
It does sound like the issue is the BTConfig software. I'll keep looking for it.

btt

Banned
Banned
@W4KRR, I still haven't reproduced the issue with hold on TG, but I'll keep trying. I've been looking to see if your idea regarding patching might be the culprit (patching isn't used in my location). If this is the issue, I haven't been able to spot it in the code yet. Just wanted to let you know that I'm still looking.

pcman67

Radio and electronics enthusiast since the ‘70’s
Premium Subscriber
@W4KRR, I still haven't reproduced the issue with hold on TG, but I'll keep trying. I've been looking to see if your idea regarding patching might be the culprit (patching isn't used in my location). If this is the issue, I haven't been able to spot it in the code yet. Just wanted to let you know that I'm still looking.

@btt @W4KRR Patching is used quite often on the system I listen to. I’d be glad to try holding on a talkgroup that frequently gets patched and see if the same issue happens to me. The talkgroup that frequently gets patched is a P1 talkgroup (not sure if being a P1 or P2 talkgroup would make any difference in this case).

I’ll try this tonight and report back.

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
Did I miss the info on the EQ functions that are included in the test version? How do they work, what do they do?

btt

Banned
Banned
Did I miss the info on the EQ functions that are included in the test version? How do they work, what do they do?
I have some updates almost ready for the EQ function. Eventually, you will be able to assign EQ filter coefficients per frequency. The training function will transform incoming I/Q samples such that the symbols lie on the unit circle. This can potentially compensate for non-linearity in the RF path such as a filter for example.

Cheeseburgers

Hey just a random update that might help you out Todd. So... if you enter commands the RSSI stops, if you re-enable logging it comes back. FYI.

btt

Banned
Banned
Hey just a random update that might help you out Todd. So... if you enter commands the RSSI stops, if you re-enable logging it comes back. FYI.
That is intentional. This allows you to see the commands and related output without having it scroll by. After you are finished, re-enable the logging / RSSI updates.

btt

Banned
Banned
It does happen on Linux. My laptop can dual boot to either Windows 10 or Linux Mint. In either operating system, the programs talk group log stops reporting new entries after running for a few hours. I tested it today. Also in the status area, talkgroups stop showing, and signal strength meter stops showing. Audio continues. Both in Windows 10 and Linux. Could something in my PC affect both Windows and Linux?
I have not been able to reproduce the issue. I have enabled a bunch of debug messages to the stdout. Can you run version 2021-08-13_1029 on Linux (or Windows) like this: java -jar BTConfig.exe >btconfig_errors.txt Then send me the resulting error log file after the issue appears? I might be able to track it down that way.