P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing

pcman67

Radio and electronics enthusiast since the ‘70’s
Premium Subscriber
I’ll test the alt test branch against the _0727 test version side by side on my two P25RX units tomorrow (Thursday) morning and let you know about which sounds best regarding P2 audio.

Reactions: btt

epersson

Feed Provider
I've only heard back from a single Windows 10 user regarding the audio changes (with very positive feedback). It is definitely working better on Linux and Mac based on my testing. Would like to hear from others running Windows regarding the audio in version 08-28_1712.
Just an update, been running 1712 for over a week no lockups. Audio overall super clear on P1 and P2 systems Every now and then I get what sounds like choppy audio but haven't changed the BW defaults, I'll wait until I'm down next to it in a couple months to mess with it.. Thanks!!! double thumbs up.

pcman67

Radio and electronics enthusiast since the ‘70’s
Premium Subscriber
I've been testing versions 2021-09-08_0727 and 2021-09-08_1336 side-by-side for P2/TDMA audio and I am going to be completely honest, I cannot tell a difference in P2/TDMA audio between the two versions. I am using two identical laptops with the same exact audio drivers and settings and both versions sound exactly the same in regards to P2/TDMA audio. Perhaps my ears aren't as discerning as some folks' ears are, but for me, I cannot tell you which version is better because they sound exactly the same to me.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
First off I do not a unit yet. I have been trying out the software. When I do a search for frequencies for the area. It shows nothing on the Iowa side. All that is listed is in Illinois for Starcom21, Commonwealth Edison and Muscatine Co (which is part of Starcom21). On the Iowa side it should have ISICS and SARA sites also it doesn't show the US Army Rock Island Arsenal (a 380MHz TRS system) or the Quad-City Nuclear Power Plant (900 MHz)..

kb8q

Premium Subscriber
Federal government frequencies are coordinated by NTIA and not the FCC. That's one reason some of those don't show up when pulling info from FCC related databases.

btt

Banned
Banned
New version available today. 2021-09-17_1437. Thank you to @rustyhodge and SomaFM for funding the additions in this release! New features on the PC Audio tab:
-Selectable home directory for output files
-MP3 or WAV file output. MP3 quality selection.
-Option to generate separate audio files for individual talk groups.

The WAV file option generates lossless post-vocoder audio. It won't sound any better than this for archive purposes.

Attachments

• TG-301_2021-09-17.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • btconfig_new_audio_options.png
    btconfig_new_audio_options.png
    870.8 KB · Views: 17

btt

Banned
Banned
The new wav file option (and possibly the mp3) aren't sounding as good when recorded on WIndows 10. I'll have another update as soon as I figure out what the issue is. Sorry about that.

btt

Banned
Banned
The issue with quality of the mp3/wav file generation on Windows should be resolved (09-17_2017). It tested fine here for both the mp3 and wav options. Let me know if you find any issues with it.

btt

Banned
Banned
Todd can you post 09-17_1437 again? Newest build keeps dropping calls on P2 system
I sent the link in a PM. That version will have issues with recording audio in Windows 10. Does the latest version still have issues on Windows 10 for P2 if you disable the audio recording? Windows scheduled timers do not work correctly in Java. (known issue that they don't fix). The new version uses a different method. It tested ok here on Windows 10, but I can only test P1 locally. Anyone else having this issue with the latest?

Cheeseburgers

Thanks Todd! The moment I rolled back the audio improved.. it was weird, it would click like a TG was keying up and then nothing at all. Happened a bunch, but now its fine again. Hope that helps troubleshoot.

btt

Banned
Banned
The wav file won't play in two of my audio players, the built in and the CX File Manager player, on my Android phone. It did play in VLC.
Please send me an example of a short wav file that works for you. I'll work on figuring out the difference in the headers.