P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

boy7777777777

I’ve finally got to do some testing on phase 2. Once in a while the beginning of the sentence will be cut off. The signal is -77. It’s a mixed system with phase 1 in use also. Also noticed if your mobile and have it set to shuffle control channels it misses quite a bit of transmissions and it’s not because of it taking too long to cycle back to a control channel. Most all of the phase 2 traffic is very plain even on java. I’m using firmware 8/28/2356.

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
Also noticed if your mobile and have it set to shuffle control channels it misses quite a bit of transmissions and it’s not because of it taking too long to cycle back to a control channel.

How many control channels and what is the "seconds of silence" setting? I'll try it out here. This is probably an issue related to the new talk group timeout.

[edit]
I’ve finally got to do some testing on phase 2. Once in a while the beginning of the sentence will be cut off

This can be from the talk group timeout as well I've noticed with phase 1. If you are currently following a talk group and it hasn't timed out yet, you won't be hearing any other conversations going on. Then, the instant the timeout occurs, you may end up on another talk group mid-sentence. Could this be what is happening? (I could put the 1ms option back in if that might help).

Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
Also noticed if your mobile and have it set to shuffle control channels it misses quite a bit of transmissions and it’s not because of it taking too long to cycle back to a control channel.

When the control channel changes in the roaming mode, it will now abort any active "talk group timeout". This may solve the issue.

New untested version 29_1000 available.

Also, try setting the "talk group timeout" to 100ms and see if that helps at all with the getting cut off in mid-sentence issue.

boy7777777777

It is 2 control channels. No it is not cutting off in midsentence it is cutting off the first one and a half seconds of the start of the sentence. I will try what you said though. Thanks

Mike_G_D

Had to walk away after starting 28_2356 so I missed several iterations! But just started with 29_1100. Trouble is I am doing laundry at the same time so having to walk away a lot, LOL!

Will observe what I can.

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
New version available 29_1446. The change is only cosmetic. Functionality is identical to 29_1100.

Mike_G_D

Well, I am SOOOO afraid to "jinx" this and I'm not really superstitious but...so far, I have not seen/heard the bad talk group mix-ups I was hearing yesterday. BUT - it's not as busy today. Those construction/road crews/whatever they were (unknown talk group with no listing in RR) must have the weekend off so they are not jabbering away today. Come Monday, that should change.

But then, I haven't heard any fire traffic on PD groups and vice versa, etc. And the Life Guards along the coast are more busy during the weekends and, so far, their traffic is "behaving itself" by "staying" on their correct talk groups sooooo....

So, it looks like a tentative "yay - better!" situation from me.

Besides Life Guards I am hearing a lot of SDG&E (local electricity and gas utility service) fire traffic (due to our terrain, weather, and associated wildland fire issues, SDG&E actually has their own fire teams) as they watch a major fire at the border with Mexico. So far not hearing talk group "bleed throughs" like I was.

Observation continues...

-Mike

boy7777777777

Been using 29/1100 and so far no cutoff of the beginning transmissions. I’m not listening to the really busy Tupelo MS though. Had to return home. I’ve been testing it on Entergy and there isn’t a lot of traffic on it. The audio sounds great using the line out jack. Java sounds better than it did. It’s been logging all new talkgroups.

Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
I'm going to leave the 29_1446 up for now (same as 29_1100) since it is working good for everyone who is testing today. (around 5 of us).

I would appreciate it you have the time to move on to testing 29_1644. These aren't huge changes, but I think it may be an improvement in overall performance.

boy7777777777

Just found something. If the mobile unit is not hitting the repeater very well and is partially broken the p25rx will not decode it even if the unit isn’t broken enough to where it’s unintelligible. The 436hp will still hold the transmission and even though it’s broken you can understand the transmission.This was observed on a phase 1 system.

btt

Banned
Banned
Just found something. If the mobile unit is not hitting the repeater very well and is partially broken the p25rx will not decode it even if the unit isn’t broken enough to where it’s unintelligible. The 436hp will still hold the transmission and even though it’s broken you can understand the transmission.This was observed on a phase 1 system.

I was able to reproduce some issues similar to what you are describing using a step attenuator. I made some changes and now can receive voice at -120 dBm again. (with 20dB of attenuation).

New release available. It will reset the configuration to defaults. Version 30_1308. This version will not drop the voice channel unless:

1) rssi falls below -123 dBm (consecutive readings) for more than 100ms
2) no voice activity (20ms voice sub frames received), or TDU within 'rtc_to' ms. default value 500ms
3) received TDULC after being on the voice channel frequency for at least 'tdulc' ms. default 250

With these settings, you may see larger swings of the AGC before it returns to the control channel sometimes. To reduce this, you can set the 'rtc_to' value lower than 500ms. ( was 250ms in 29_1644). Lower values may reduce the ability to receive extremely low-level signals / broken voice.

Last edited:

Mike_G_D

I think this explains what I've heard as well. Some broken voice, usually from the mobile side, that I don't get with my scanner. I actually have my scanner audio coming in my right ear and the P25RX audio coming in on the left ear through my audio mixer so I can hear a "side-by-side" comparison.

I think what boy7to10th-power is what I've been calling the "peak dropouts". What btt describes in last post I think explains it. I recall in an older revision that hung on the voice channel a while after the carrier dropped I didn't have the dropout issue at all, though, of course, at the expense of hearing replies.

On the 29-1100, 29_1446, and 29_1644 versions TG following and voice replies worked very well but a little dropout/cutout issues returned. Also, just a tiny bit of distortion on the peaks of the audio. Can't seem to get rid of it even when backing down on the line out audio. Might be related.

Will try the new version and observe and report once enough data collected.

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
Also, just a tiny bit of distortion on the peaks of the audio. Can't seem to get rid of it even when backing down on the line out audio. Might be related.
New version 30_1405 available with audio agc target reduced. Let me know if this fixes the audio issue.

Mike_G_D

Just in case they are useful, I am attaching my console logs from use of versions 29_1100, 29_1446, and 29_1644.

File too big even with zipping.

I'll just attach 29_1100 and 29_1446 logs for now.

-Mike

Attachments

• exep25rx_conlogs_md_v_29_1100_v_29_1446.zip
    693.2 KB · Views: 5

Mike_G_D

Ok, now 29_1644 logs.

First one attached.

Attachments

• BTConfig-2020-08-29_1644.exep25rx_conlog_2020-08-29.zip
    1,015 KB · Views: 4

Mike_G_D

Sorry, even zipping only the second 29_1644 log by itself it's too big. Can't send. But maybe earlier ones good enough.

Also, I have very limited internet capability using limited tethering on my phone. Sorry. Probably all for now log-wise from me.

-Mike

Mike_G_D

You can throw it on Google Drive.
Yes, but I have tough data caps on my tethering. I really can't send anymore. I didn't realize how big the files were getting! Last one ran a pretty long time hence the size.

I lost my access to broadband as my roommate cut me off. I am looking for something I can afford on my own. All I have for now is very limited tethering on my phone.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.