P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

btt

Banned
Banned
New firmware available: 2020-10-02_1106 This is the version that shipped with the units that went out today. It has improved audio and a couple of new plots in what used to be called the "Constellation View". The audio AGC / leveler is something that is still being working on. I have an idea on how to improve it further and will be working on this soon.

In the meantime,

If you hear clipping in the audio, try backing off on the gain:

e.g.
$ agc 3.0 12000.0 0.05

See the "Tips" section on the web site for more information on the 'agc' command.

There will be more units in stock on Monday (10/5)

btt

Banned
Banned
Just discovered this thread Sunday morning and tried to order two hours later. I signed up for notice when it's available so I can order it. I'm excited!

In the meantime, I have a question. I'd like it to alert when it detects someone keys their transmitter on one of the talkgroups you've set, then immediately (i.e., about 25 ms) continue to scan all those TG frequencies for all those configured P25 talkgroups, like if you enabled alerts for FD and PD talkgroups in the city and county, and alert when it detects another radio keyed in.

I'm not ignoring the recent posts regarding scanning (including this one). I'm just considering how to respond to these posts. This is not really a technical issue to consider, but a regulatory one. Some of these changes may require extra testing at a considerable cost (i.e. "scanning receiver"). Please give me some more time to examine and respond.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I too have ordered, and am looking forward to playing with this new toy!
A few questions:
For DMR, will this handle Capacity Plus, Connect Plus, or Tier III trunking?
Can it monitor P25 or DMR conventional, non trunked frequencies?
What about analog, non trunked frequencies?
Thanks!

Reactions: btt

Mike_G_D

I too have ordered, and am looking forward to playing with this new toy!
A few questions:
For DMR, will this handle Capacity Plus, Connect Plus, or Tier III trunking?
Can it monitor P25 or DMR conventional, non trunked frequencies?
What about analog, non trunked frequencies?
Thanks!
I'm not the developer, just a user so btt's reply and answers are the "supreme word"; having said that, it will track DMR Connect Plus and handle DMR conventional (I've tested the former but not the latter). NXDN is being developed but I believe it is supposed to currently handle conventional NXDN but not trunked yet and you have to use the console commands to do so. It will also handle P25 Phase 1 and 2 trunking as well as conventional.

But you have to choose one at a time. You cannot (yet) scan both a P25 system and a DMR Con+ system at the same time (or sequentially).

It will also handle FM analog but no CTCSS or DCS or bandwidth control for narrow versus wide-narrow, etc. Based on my listening, it sounds like the IF filter might be set more for the 12.5KHz bandwidth narrow FM modes which is most of what you want in the US for VHF and UHF LMR listening but you will have some distortion on the 25kHz wider signals like Marine, Amateur, GMRS, and NOAA broadcasts. That's just my poor ears judging and NOT any kind of good lab measurement - I COULD BE WRONG HERE!

Again, so far, as far as I can tell, you cannot scan analog conventional in sequence with any trunking listening, etc. It's one OR the other. And it's just a single conventional channel monitoring, not scanning multiple channels.

It's best suited for trunk system monitoring and works very well for that, I have to say. I now use it every day as the primary means for monitoring my local countywide simulcast P25 P2 system.

-Mike

e92dream

Premium Subscriber
Will this output multiple talkgroup activity/ transmissions at once like an SDR setup can? Also coders please figure out how to a display screen.

btt

Banned
Banned
Will this output multiple talkgroup activity/ transmissions at once like an SDR setup can? Also coders please figure out how to a display screen.
If you are asking if it is wide-band or multi-channel, then no. The P25RX design is a single-channel, narrow-band receiver designed for narrow-band performance (hw-based channel filter before the A/D converters).

[edit]
I forgot to mention in the reply, but I am looking into a possible touch-display option that will work without any mods to the existing design. (no promises yet).

Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
NXDN is being developed but I believe it is supposed to currently handle conventional NXDN but not trunked yet and you have to use the console commands to do so.

You are correct that NXDN trunking support is not in there yet, but you don't use console commands. To test the voice decode with the current firmware, (from the P25RX Configuration tab) 1) Select NXDN on the power-up drop-down, 2) enter an NXDN-4800 voice channel frequency and write the configuration.

[edit]
Also, regarding the FM NB filter, you are correct about it being a fixed bandwidth with the current firmware. The channel filter bandwidth is programmable and very flexible in the actual hardware. I will add more bandwidth options for the analog mode in a future update.

Last edited:

e92dream

Premium Subscriber
If you are asking if it is wide-band or multi-channel, then no. The P25RX design is a single-channel, narrow-band receiver designed for narrow-band performance (hw-based channel filter before the A/D converters).
Thank you.

footage

Premium Subscriber
The "Search DB for Control Channels" button is greyed out. Unclear how it got that way, and how I can reenable it. Any thoughts most welcome.

btt

Banned
Banned
The "Search DB for Control Channels" button is greyed out. Unclear how it got that way, and how I can reenable it. Any thoughts most welcome.
The "Search DB" tab is greyed out when the "power-on" mode is not P25. Let me know if that doesn't help.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I've been playing around with this for a few hours now. It works very well. I do have a few questions/comments:

Under the "P25RX Configuration" tab, it gives you the option to search your other control channels in the event that the control channel is lost. The problem is, all of your control channels are under the same tab, the "Search DB for Control Channels" tab, so you end up searching control channels that are on different systems other than the system you are interested in. Seems to be no way to separate them by system.

Also, if I manually add control channels and tag them, the frequencies are saved, but the tags are not.

Under the "Talk Group Editor" tab: I like the ability to sort the contents by clicking on the column header. However, using the delete key to delete a selected line isn't working for me. When I select a line and hit delete, it just makes an empty line in the list and moves the line I wanted to delete to another position in the list. Maybe something to do with the sorting?

And under the "Talk Group Editor" tab, I would like the option to display the system ID in HEX format.

All of my comments are assuming it's not user error on my part!

Mike_G_D

I've been playing around with this for a few hours now. It works very well. I do have a few questions/comments:

Under the "P25RX Configuration" tab, it gives you the option to search your other control channels in the event that the control channel is lost. The problem is, all of your control channels are under the same tab, the "Search DB for Control Channels" tab, so you end up searching control channels that are on different systems other than the system you are interested in. Seems to be no way to separate them by system.

Also, if I manually add control channels and tag them, the frequencies are saved, but the tags are not.

Under the "Talk Group Editor" tab: I like the ability to sort the contents by clicking on the column header. However, using the delete key to delete a selected line isn't working for me. When I select a line and hit delete, it just makes an empty line in the list and moves the line I wanted to delete to another position in the list. Maybe something to do with the sorting?

And under the "Talk Group Editor" tab, I would like the option to display the system ID in HEX format.

Don't think it's user error on your part - pretty much I've experienced the same and did write about most of these same issues at one point or another earlier in the thread (I know, a really long one!). Pretty much I think until very recently most of the focus has been to get the performance in terms of effective demodulation of P25 P2, DMR, and now NXDN in good shape. I think after that there might be more attention to the software operation issues.

Regarding the delete function in the Talk Gorup Editor - yeah I pretty much avoid using that function. It never has worked right for me. I found that, like you, it won't delete the record I select but instead, will often delete some other record I have in the list (mine is kinda large now) that I might not discover until later.

But I like the overall performance so much that I let these issues slide for now as I am sure they will be solved at some point in the future.

-Mike

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Mike, I agree; I believe improvements will be forthcoming.
I'll be trying out DMR trunking next!

btt

Banned
Banned

Thank you for the comments and feedback. I will work on getting some of these issues fixed in the near future. Regarding the issue with deleting talk group lines, I think someone else found that this only happens if you "sort" the columns. Try to restart the software and avoid sorting before deleting records for now. I thought that had been fixed, but apparently not.

[edit] and to the new P25RX owners: Thank you for your support!

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the comments and feedback. I will work on getting some of these issues fixed in the near future. Regarding the issue with deleting talk group lines, I think someone else found that this only happens if you "sort" the columns. Try to restart the software and avoid sorting before deleting records for now. I thought that had been fixed, but apparently not.

Yes; I restarted the software and then deleted the unwanted talkgroup before I did any sorting, and this time it successfully deleted the unwanted talkgroup.

Keep up the good work!

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I finally took my P25RX out to my 2019 Jeep Compass and attempted to interface it via Bluetooth to the UConnect system therein. I was able to get the audio to work fine, but with this system if an Android or iPhone is interfaced via USB, the bluetooth connection does not work. So, were I to run with this setup I would probably find a separate bluetooth speaker to interface with.

There is no display of talkgroup information with UConnect, which already had been discussed several pages back. It would be great at some point to have a phone/tablet based app that could display information from the P25RX and maybe even provide programming to it as well. Talk about extending the portability of this device!

Status
Not open for further replies.