P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqseeker

The red means the reference frequency needs adjusted on the P25RX config tab of the software. That will help decode issues. What ever the estimated frequency is, put that in the P25RX config reference frequency box.
That's what I was thinking. That is the only system that turns red. I will leave it be. I trust a service monitor.
I'm curious what the threshold is to turn red.

freqseeker

Here's some audio recordings from the WSP 700 system we have been troubleshooting. To my ear it is excellent.
Change the .zip to .mp3 I think that will work.

Attachments

• p25rx_recording_2020-10-10 .zip
    400 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned

The VHF is very much improved.
As I said before if I didn't see the SIG LED and not knowing what TSBK was I would guess the lower number was better (as in number of errors), but I know it's the opposite. I don't think there is a problem, I'm willing to bet as this evolves we will find more reports of this type of decode.
I hope I didn't send you on a wild goose chase.

I noticed the "Estimated Reference Frequency" is red on the VHF plot and green on the WSP 700 plot. What is the threshold and or significance of that?

That plot of the VHF still tells me there is still something wrong in the decode. The symbols look great and the loss of sync is very periodic. I did find something else in the code that I messed up. It is a change that I made not too long back that is probably affecting the control channel decode on the VHF system. Can you please try version 2020-10-10_2039 when you have a chance and post another plot of the VHF system?

The red color indicates that the estimated reference frequency is different from the programmed reference frequency by >= 8 Hz. It is meant to get your attention to see if there needs to be an adjustment. If you add the "frequency error estimate" and the "applied frequency correction" values in Hz and the total is >200 Hz often, then you probably want to consider updating the reference frequency.

[edit] Note, the reference frequency estimate should be very good. It is based on the frequency accuracy of the P25 control channel which should be excellent. I will check into why it is reading different for the VHF system.

Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
Here's some audio recordings from the WSP 700 system we have been troubleshooting. To my ear it is excellent.
Change the .zip to .mp3 I think that will work.
Thank you for posting that! The audio decode is sounding good.

freqseeker

Here's 2020-10-10_2039. It's back down in the red. I switched back to the previous firmware and it looks like this one TSBK wise.
It appears the unstable weather had something to do with the better decode. I am back to 2039.
I haven't heard any traffic on this site which is Cougar Mountain, so not sure how good the audio is.

As I type this the 2039 firmware is dropping to 0 for 15 or so seconds then jumps to mid teens for the same amount of time... rinse and repeat.

P25RXVHF3.png

btt

Banned
Banned
Thank you.

Can you try putting the suggested "reference frequency estimate" in the reference frequency on the P25RX Configuration tab and press write configuration to see if that gets this particular VHF control channel working? You can always put it back to 39999875 afterward.

[edit]

I just did a test here to compare the reference frequency estimate between local 859.xxx and 172.xxx MHz control channels. They measured very close (both green). Just trying to make sure there wasn't something off with the estimate when the frequency is VHF.

Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
Thanks for trying that. One more thing. Can you go to the console window, click on "enable log to file".
Enter the command: $ logging 9
e-mail me the log after collecting for a bit?

The log file will be in the same directory/folder as the BTConfig executable.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
What are the dimensions of the P25RX? Environment operating temps? I plan to mount in a automobile....

btt

Banned
Banned
What are the dimensions of the P25RX? Environment operating temps? I plan to mount in a automobile....
approximately 3 x 5.25 x 0.75 inches.
I don't currently have access to a temperature test chamber, so I can't give you measurements for the operating temperature range yet. (TBD)
Previous testing on similar designs (using the same reference osc / freq synth, not including Bluetooth) were good in air from -30 to +60C.

The reference frequency oscillator is a TCXO, the reference frequency is programmable, and the firmware does estimate and correct for frequency error in the receiver.

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
It may be. I have no way of telling, since the description tag shows up on some "ID 10" sites, which confirms them, and on others, with widely varying TG's, it does not. All I know is that I really wish I could 1:1 reconcile the headers in the TG editor to the Control channel list more easily.
I have confirmed, I have two systems that I monitor both with SYS ID 10 (Hex 00a) - Fauquier County and Spotsylvania county Virginia. So the issue is real for me. in the TG Editor tab.

Thanks.

btt

Banned
Banned
I have confirmed, I have two systems that I monitor both with SYS ID 10 (Hex 00a) - Fauquier County and Spotsylvania county Virginia. So the issue is real for me. in the TG Editor tab.

Thanks.

I would like to be able to export the talkgroup data to a .csv file where it could be sorted and edited easily, and then imported back into the software.

I've added these to the list of things to do. Thank you.

btt

Banned
Banned
New testing version available. 2020-10-11_1205. Needed to do some quick shopping today, so I tested this version mobile. I do believe that this version is noticeably better for moible P25 (including simulcast distortion areas). Let me know what you think. In addition to several other adjustments, this version keeps track of what the previous DUID was. If it was LDU1 or LDU2 voice, then it will assume that the next DUID is also going to be voice if the DUID is unknown (bad decode, if previous was LDU1, then current is LD2, etc). There are several other changes that could be responsible for the mobile improvement, but that is one possible difference. The new audio AGC sounds really good with the Honda car Bluetooth.

I've been working on freqseeker's issues today with his VHF and WSP 700 UHF systems. Those symbol plots posts (and subsequent log files) really helped me to understand that this is not an RF / symbol decode issue. This is a control channel decode issue! Both of these systems are using multi-block style control channel messages (DUID = 0x0c). I thought this was being handled correctly, but it appears that the current firmware is missing something. It will receive grants and decode voice, but the reported control channel TSBK/sec (the rate) looks really bad. Nearly every message it *does* receive is decoded correctly. Maybe these systems don't transmit a constant stream of control channel messages? Still working on it, but I wanted to share the good news now.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Morning Todd!

HELP!

Everything was working this morning and doing great then....NO SIG...no matter what CC's I put in. Unplugged everything and closed software 3 times.......

Tim

1602513257648.png

Status
Not open for further replies.