P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
OMG.....just tried out the ACARS Decode.....WOW Todd!!!!

This post reminded me that I had yet to try ACARS reception. It does indeed work great, and I had a first today as well...I've monitored ACARS off and on for a long time, but I have never seen a message about a "LAVATORY FAN INOP" before. Great decoding, and I'd hold it until the flight landed folks....just sayin'....

Another great feature of this little gem.

CPJC

I ordered one last week, arriving on Wednesday (Dang UPSP holiday), can't wait to play and join this community. Been following this thread for the past week and half and love all of the community work and BTT's quick fixes and feature enhancements. I hope that overall the project goes well for you.

I'm also glad I found this as I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a SDS100, but have put that on hold for now. Have a TRX100, but I have simulcast issues in my area which it is notoriously known not to handle it well. Maybe a couple of these and my TRX is all I'll need.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Hey Todd!

I'm not sure what you did for VHF but whatever it was worked better than fantastic!
I'd been keeping up with the test versions you were posting while trying to help freqseeker up until the 10-11 1205 version.
I don't know what version VHF started working in nor did I catch any test version notes as I missed any test versions after the 10-11 1205 version until the latest 10-12 2252 version. Can you post the notes for test versions between 10-11 1205 and 10-12 2252?
I'd like to read your notes about what I missed. I do know VHF still suffered as much as all earlier version with 10-11 1205 for me but 10-12 2252 has fixed those issues.

Now my VHF sites are showing a steady green LED with the TBSK showing a steady value of 40 for most sites. Even those sites with less than optimal signal strength are now showing a near 100% green decode LED indicator!
I do have one non-simulcast 800 MHz site that is only a couple miles away that shows a TBSK of 27 for some reason but it stays at that level and works fine.
Audio decoding is also working fantastic for the VHF and 800 MHz sites regardless if they are simulcast sites or not!

I just wanted to get you my results as I have been trying to keep up with your test versions but other projects have kept me from posting my results until today.

Thanks Todd!!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well,

Maybe I spoke a little too soon. My P25RX has froze up running the latest 10-12 2252 version under Win 7 64 bit while I was typing the message above.
A power cycle of the radio and restart of BTCONFIG has it back working.
I'll do a 'factory' command and keep an eye on it. I'll report back if this becomes a regular thing. With past firmware versions, it was very rare things would lock up so hopefully this is just a one time occurrence.

btt

Banned
Banned
Hey Todd!

I'm not sure what you did for VHF but whatever it was worked better than fantastic!
I'd been keeping up with the test versions you were posting while trying to help freqseeker up until the 10-11 1205 version.
I don't know what version VHF started working in nor did I catch any test version notes as I missed any test versions after the 10-11 1205 version until the latest 10-12 2252 version. Can you post the notes for test versions between 10-11 1205 and 10-12 2252?
I'd like to read your notes about what I missed. I do know VHF still suffered as much as all earlier version with 10-11 1205 for me but 10-12 2252 has fixed those issues.

Now my VHF sites are showing a steady green LED with the TBSK showing a steady value of 40 for most sites. Even those sites with less than optimal signal strength are now showing a near 100% green decode LED indicator!
I do have one non-simulcast 800 MHz site that is only a couple miles away that shows a TBSK of 27 for some reason but it stays at that level and works fine.
Audio decoding is also working fantastic for the VHF and 800 MHz sites regardless if they are simulcast sites or not!

I just wanted to get you my results as I have been trying to keep up with your test versions but other projects have kept me from posting my results until today.

Thanks Todd!!

Hi kruser,

I was going to contact you directly pretty soon and see if this did help with your VHF issues. I'm glad to hear it does! Please give me a little time to describe the recent changes in more detail. One thing I should probably explain right away is that for sites that use multi-block PDU messages, the TSBK count works differently. For these sites, the TSBK count gets incremented if the incoming TSBK/PDU passes FEC only (it may still fail the crc check). Sites that don't use the multi-block type messages still require the crc to pass before incrementing the TSBK count. This is one reason (not the only reason) that the TSBK counts are higher for sites that use the multi-block messages (DUID of 0x0c). This doesn't have anything to do with why it actually performs better regarding better cc decode / better voice decode. Performance should also be better for sites that don't use the multi-block messages.

Regarding the TSBK count of 27/sec. This is perfect for some sites. I have one here and I have heard from others about this as well. I guess some control channels only send out 27 messages/sec instead of the usual 40.

Regarding the lock-up. Yes, please let me know if there is an issue with that. I have not seen that yet. A loose USB connection can cause that if the cable gets bumped.

I will have a more detailed description later.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the TSBK count of 27/sec. This is perfect for some sites. I have one here and I have heard from others about this as well. I guess some control channels only send out 27 messages/sec instead of the usual 40.

Regarding the lock-up. Yes, please let me know if there is an issue with that. I have not seen that yet. A loose USB connection can cause that if the cable gets bumped.

I will have a more detailed description later.
Thanks for the detail!

One thing I just remembered is the site that's only showing a TSBK of 27 is a Harris 800 MHz site. That very well could be the reason for just 27.
Either way, this site is decoding just fine.

EDIT: See Below. Since I did a 'factory' command, the software or P25RX has been running just fine. I'm leaving it run on the active Console screen which is the screen it was on for this lockup as well as a prior lockup not long after you had shipped the unit to me. Otherwise it has been mostly stable.
I did consider a USB cable connection issue but it seemed solid. I still rejacked both ends after the factory command just in case.

Hmm, I froze up again.
When it happened earlier and again just now, I had BTCONFIG running in the background while I was reading your post and typing my reply.
I'll see if I can watch a few things while it's all running when I do other tasks in the foreground and try and narrow it down.

It seems to run just fine when I'm just watching the Console output scroll away!

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
One thing I just remembered is the site that's only showing a TSBK of 27 is a Harris 800 MHz site. That very well could be the reason for just 27.
Either way, this site is decoding just fine.

I have one too and have the same result with that amount. It works just fine and even goes green with -110 and lower RF.

btt

Banned
Banned
I dug into the TSBK/sec question further with some more detailed logging. The systems that show a TSBK rate of 27/sec have a 1:1 ratio for the sync word to TSBK ratio. The systems with a TSBK rate of 40/sec have a 1:3 sync to TSBK ratio. In other words, after the sync, there are 3 TSBKs, all sequential with no bits in-between. Each TSBK is processed separately and each TSBK has a 16-bit crc that is validated before processing it.

[edit]

This is what I'm seeing here anyway.

If the 27/sec rate is a Harris-only thing, that would be nice to know for identification of the system manufacturer.

Last edited:

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
Questions Will I be able to program the P25RX for a P25 700mhz trunk system and a 800mhz conventional system or must it be one or the other? In your FCC database I was not able to locate any P25 trunk system with the frequencies in the 700mhz range for Springfield Missouri. I did find it in the RR database, it's probably one of a state license issue. If I need to enter these frequencies manually it won't be a big deal!

Looking forward to receiving the device this week and begin work!

Thanks

btt

Banned
Banned
Questions Will I be able to program the P25RX for a P25 700mhz trunk system and a 800mhz conventional system or must it be one or the other? In your FCC database I was not able to locate any P25 trunk system with the frequencies in the 700mhz range for Springfield Missouri. I did find it in the RR database, it's probably one of a state license issue. If I need to enter these frequencies manually it won't be a big deal!

Looking forward to receiving the device this week and begin work!

Thanks
Thank you! As of the current firmware, the P25RX is designed to monitor a single system at a time. There is a feature called roaming that is somewhat of an exception. It is described in the manual.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Todd,
Will this work on DMR Tier III Capacity Max Trunking?
Also, for DMR Connect Plus trunking, do you have to enter each frequency once or twice (once for each time slot)?

btt

Banned
Banned
I thought of something else I should have pointed out about the 27 vs 40 TSBK/sec discussion. The length of the sync words (plus related header bits) and the length of a TSBK are similar, so for 27 TSBK/sec with a 1:1 sync-to-TSBK ratio, you could think of it as 54 blocks sec (27 sync + 27 TSBK). For the 40 TSBK/sec with a 1:3 sync-to-TSBK ratio, you could think of that as approximately (14 syncs + 40 TSBK ) = 54 blocks/sec. So, this is how the 40 TSBK/sec systems fit 13 more TSBK blocks in there....

Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
Todd,
Will this work on DMR Tier III Capacity Max Trunking?
Also, for DMR Connect Plus trunking, do you have to enter each frequency once or twice (once for each time slot)?
I don't know the answer to your question regarding Capacity Max systems. If anyone else has tried it, please jump in and share your findings. I know at least one person monitored a Capacity Plus system and it seemed to act like a Connect Plus from what I could see in the logs.

You only need to enter the frequencies for each logical channel number (LCN). Each LCN frequency/channel has two slots associated with it (TDMA).

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
So a given frequency in the system need be entered only once?

I am trying it out on a Capacity Max system. It definitely is seeing the control channel, with good signal strength. Haven't seen any reported traffic yet; I may have to wait until tomorrow morning when the system gets busy.

EDIT: I will also be trying it out on a few Connect Plus systems in the area. Sometimes I say Capacity Plus when I mean Connect Plus!

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
So a given frequency in the system need be entered only once?
Yes. I think if you look at a DMR system as defined on RR, the LCN frequencies there should match up with the LCN configuration in the software. Eventually (maybe not too distant future), I will work on getting support for the RR database into the BTConfig software.

Status
Not open for further replies.