P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

btt

Banned
Banned
I'm using 11-02 1515. Under the "Search DB for CCh" tab, I find I can manually add my own frequencies and other data. However, when I make a backup and/or restore from a backup, any data that I manually added is gone. Is this something that could be addressed?
Yes, I'm still planning on making the requested changes. I would like to make sure that the recent changes related to talk-group editing / records are working well for everyone before tackling this.

pdhall54

Premium Subscriber
Hey Todd, working with version 2020-11-02_1515 and have been testing the Export TGP/CSV and Import CSV functionality. Attached the "Master TG.csv" I created that currently has 850 entries. When I import this csv the P25RX shows 800 entries so was wondering if 800 is the max number of talk groups supported.

Tried exporting the talk groups but can't seem to open the file in Excel. I've attached p25rx_talkgroup_backup_2020-11-04.tgp as well. Really appreciate the hard work you're putting into this product, the P25RX is now my primary scanner for simulcast systems!

Dave

Attachments

• Master TG.zip
    8.1 KB · Views: 8
  • p25rx_talkgroup_backup_2020-11-04.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
Tried exporting the talk groups but can't seem to open the file in Excel. I've attached p25rx_talkgroup_backup_2020-11-04.tgp as well. Really appreciate the hard work you're putting into this product, the P25RX is now my primary scanner for simulcast systems!
Hi Dave,
Thank you for the files! You are correct. The max TG was limited to 800. It is now increased to max of 2000. (version 2020-11-04_1613). I noticed that the first column in the CSV was "TRUE" when it was expecting "1". It will now accept either. Another change is if the WACN column has a value of 0, then it will be defaulted to 0xBEE00. (might be a good guess).

btt

Banned
Banned
Tried exporting the talk groups but can't seem to open the file in Excel.
I forgot to ask about this. The TGP file is binary, so it won't open in Excel. Are you having trouble with the csv file export being imported into excel? Someone else reported trouble as well. I may need to look into what Microsoft is expecting for a csv file. The current format is FIELD1,FIELD2,FIELD3,ETC with a CRLF at the end of each line. Does anyone have a thought on what the issue could be? Does Microsoft require quotes for csv file imports?

There is a new test version available 2020-11-04_1659. This should fix a new issue where TDMA grants were getting aborted.

Tinkerwave

Does Microsoft require quotes for csv file imports?
Microsoft Excel can use different types of delimiters, like comma, double quotes, tab, and many other ASCII characters, like even spaces. For the carriage return, Excel often easily makes use of CRLF - I use it all the time. In fact, most Windows text editors use CRLF for line ending/ carriage returns.

Note: there are different types of file encoding for text files. One of the most common in text files on Windows computers is ANSI; a less common encoding type for text files is UTF-8.

I opened @pdhall54 file "p25rx_talkgroup_backup_2020-11-04.tgp" in a recent version of Excel. Unfortunately, the binary characters made the file appear mostly unreadable/ unusable in Excel. Binary characters are typically seen as one of many non-ASCII characters or symbols, as seen in this cropped screenshot of what it looks like in Excel:
1604554661937.png

If possible, I'd strongly suggest removing the binary characters, so TGP files can be easily edited, cleaned up, etc with Excel and with most text editors in Windows. There's at least one open source text editor in Windows that can read these TGP files: Notepad++. However, even with Notepad++, binary characters show up as NUL characters - in other words, they cannot be interpreted correctly; the program simply doesn't give an error when showing the file.

Todd, if you'd like someone to review any TGP files for readability etc, look into character and file types for Windows, let me know and I'll be glad to help. If ASCII characters can be used instead of binary, that would alleviate most issues.

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
Tinkerwave,
Thanks for giving that a try, but as I mentioned, I didn't expect/intend for the TGP files to be imported by excel. Those are binary-only files for use with the BTConfig software. I think at least a couple of people asked for a csv import/export so talk groups could also be edited outside of the BTConfig software. The export function *also* creates a .csv file in the new version. I'm wondering if everyone is having problems importing the csv file into excel. I don't have MS Office here to try out. It works fine with Libreoffice and gnumeric.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
I was able to edit and add about 1940 TGs to an exported .csv with Excel 2010. Imported TGs back in with BTconfig.. no problems.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The export function *also* creates a .csv file in the new version. I'm wondering if everyone is having problems importing the csv file into excel. I don't have MS Office here to try out. It works fine with Libreoffice and gnumeric.
I'm using Office 2016 Pro version of Excel and have not had any issues opening the csv files that BTConfig creates since this was added in BTConfig. Looking at the csv files created at tgp backup, I don't see anything that stands out that would cause an issue with Excel or any program that can format and display csv files for that matter.
I wonder if some special characters are being allowed in some users csv files that are throwing fits with Excel?

Mike_G_D

Morning all,

I tried to use an earlier version with the new TG features (can't recall which one it was) but it wound up really messing up my saved talk groups. It seemed to treat nearly all of my selected and not-selected TG's as "unknowns" and flag them in the Talk Group Log even though I had already assigned labels and either selected or de-selected them. Sometimes it would use assigned labels but often it would not and I would end up with a huge number of "unknowns" which I would start to go through and assign labels to only to find out that they were duplicates of already labeled talk groups!

I gave up and went back to the 10-19 1333 version until all of the bugs were worked out of the new features. However, I haven't really seen anyone report what I experienced so I'm wondering what I am missing. I do want to try the new Excel import/export features most especially but I just don't want to have to start over and re-write all of my currently labeled TG's.

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
Thank you all for reporting on the csv import with Excel.

Mike, I think the issue you might have had was because the WACN wasn't entered for the talk groups after you upgraded? If the WACN doesn't match, then the incoming talk groups will be seen as "new, default unknown" talk groups. Could this be what you were seeing?

pdhall54

Premium Subscriber
Hi Dave,
Thank you for the files! You are correct. The max TG was limited to 800. It is now increased to max of 2000. (version 2020-11-04_1613). I noticed that the first column in the CSV was "TRUE" when it was expecting "1". It will now accept either. Another change is if the WACN column has a value of 0, then it will be defaulted to 0xBEE00. (might be a good guess).
Thanks for bumping max TG to 2000. Is 2000 the absolute maximum value?

btt

Banned
Banned
Thanks for bumping max TG to 2000. Is 2000 the absolute maximum value?

New testing version available. I've changed the way that flash is allocated. If you run older versions of the firmware it will use the flash memory area that the older versions always have. Starting with this version (2020-11-05_1211), a different area of flash will be used for storing up to 4915 talk group records.

A planned future touch-display, add-on option will provide much more flash for talk group storage and other needs.

btt

Banned
Banned
how is the NXDN trunk processing progressing?

I have not been working on the NXDN trunking support yet. I have looked over what needs to be done. While it is not trivial, I do believe it will be possible to get it going. It is definitely on the list of things to do.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Version 2020-11-05 1249 doesn't work. After asking to proceed with firmware upgrade, it gets to the "Reading Talkgroups from P25RX device" and then it hangs.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
Version 2020-11-05 1249 doesn't work. After asking to proceed with firmware upgrade, it gets to the "Reading Talkgroups from P25RX device" and then it hangs.
I don’t see the version you are referring to. I do see 11-05-2020 1910 :unsure:

btt

Banned
Banned
Can you see if _1910 works for you? You may have trouble "downgrading" after this version. It might require "holding the button on power-up" to start the bootloader in order to downgrade. This is due to the way the older software reads the talk groups from a different flash area.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Can you see if _1910 works for you? You may have trouble "downgrading" after this version. It might require "holding the button on power-up" to start the bootloader in order to downgrade. This is due to the way the older software reads the talk groups from a different flash area.
I didn't see _1910, but I did see _0413, which I got to work. I just had to restore my talkgroups from a backup. Thanks!

Mike_G_D

Thank you all for reporting on the csv import with Excel.

Mike, I think the issue you might have had was because the WACN wasn't entered for the talk groups after you upgraded? If the WACN doesn't match, then the incoming talk groups will be seen as "new, default unknown" talk groups. Could this be what you were seeing?
Could be - now my question is, sorry if I missed the answer somewhere, how do I avoid or fix that when upgrading?

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.