P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Hello just checking on update on priority the talk group the talkgroup on the first line would have most or highest priority and as you go down the talk group the less the priority is a lot of first responders like this

btt

Banned
Banned
Could be - now my question is, sorry if I missed the answer somewhere, how do I avoid or fix that when upgrading?

-Mike
To fix your existing talk groups, you can either 1) manually edit / copy-paste the WACN in the talk group editor, or 2) export the talk groups to a CSV file, edit the WACN column with Excel, then import the csv file.

btt

Banned
Banned
Hello just checking on update on priority the talk group the talkgroup on the first line would have most or highest priority and as you go down the talk group the less the priority is a lot of first responders like this
Sorry, but I'm not sure I'm following. Did you have an attachment? Just in case this helps: To enable the priorities for a particular talk group in the newer firmware, you can set the priority value to something higher than 1. (e.g. 2,3,4,5, etc). The highest priority wins at channel grant time.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Ever since versions after 2020 11-02 1515, I'm experiencing severe signal issues.
What was great copy of VHF and 800 MHz sites is now hit or miss. It's very pronounced with my non-simulcast VHF sites.
Basically no reception of those VHF sites even though the RSSI value still reports about 88.
This is with the latest 0430 version from this morning as well as version 2244 from yesterday evening where I'm seeing the reception performance hit.
I did note a notation of "channel bw, rf agc changes. (11/05_2244)" in the latest test versions release notes and suspect that could have something to do with what I'm experiencing. Did I miss something with this noteation and maybe some setting I can now change to get things back to pre-version 11/05_2244 performance?

I've had to revert back to version 11/02_1515 in order to restore the normal RF performance.
I know I saw one other person report RF issues as well with these latest test versions but I'll be honest and did not read into it very much. I also missed a version or so it seems.

So, for now, I'm back to 1515 from 11-02 as it does not have any RF reception issues and the CSV export/import function does work fine. I think this version may have a lower limit on the amount of talkgroups but for right now, that's not an issue! I'd much rather see the normally superb RF performance work like it has been for the past several versions before allowing greater numbers of talkgroups.

Let me know if I can do any tests Todd. I'll be in and out today and tonight but will be glad to test when time permits!

edit: It was @turnpike61's post where he talked about weaker signals. I'm seeing the same thing for sure. P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Last edited:
Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
@kruser,

Thank you for the report! The channel bandwidth and rf agc were changed in version _2244 last night.. It had some positive effects locally last night during a repeater outage. I've reverted the changes back to what they were. New version available: 2020-11-06_1101. Can you see if this fixes the issue? This is the first RF-performance related change made in a while now, so I would assume this is probably the cause.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
@kruser,

Thank you for the report! The channel bandwidth and rf agc were changed in version _2244 last night.. It had some positive effects locally last night during a repeater outage. I've reverted the changes back to what they were. New version available: 2020-11-06_1101. Can you see if this fixes the issue? This is the first RF-performance related change made in a while now, so I would assume this is probably the cause.
I'm on it Todd!!

Be back with results soon.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
@kruser,

Ok! 1101 did indeed fix things back up!

I'd also forgot to mention that I'd noticed the frequency error estimate and I think the Applie Freq Correction were also both way off when running the two versions prior to 1101. I forgot to do a screenshot though. Those values are also back to normal now.

So... all's well at the moment!

A compliment about the P25RX, I also have Uniden's SDS 100 and 200's as well as a Unication G5.
The P25RX is kicking butt compared to the others above when I monitor this one weaker signal 800 MHz test system. So something about this receiver either like my environment more than the others or it simply has a better front end. I suspect it has better selectivity myself when I look at all the users they crammed into the 800 band here. Those users overwhelm the Uniden SDS series with its 8+ MHz tv tuner wide front end. The G5 works second best and may be as good as the P25RX if I were to hook the outdoor antenna to its SMA jack instead of going through its amplified charging base which could add an unknown amount of loss or attenuation.
I've been purposely monitoring the weaker signal P25 800 site just to compare performance with other radios using the same signal. It seems to be a good test using a custom made 16 port multicoupler I put together with a very low noise amp that has just enough gain to overcome the loss of the splitters in the 16 port multicoupler. I use all Mini-Circuits components.

Let me know if you want to add the RF Change back in (but with different parameters) and I'd be happy to test that version as well.

btt

Banned
Banned
@kruser,

Excellent! Thank you for reporting on that so fast. It is so much easier fixing these kind of issues when they are fresh. I think I might do as you suggest and parameterize those changes and stick them in the "advanced" tab in a future release. Will be sure to let you know if I do.

Thank you for the comparison notes! I'm really glad to hear that the P25RX is working well for you in the latest firmware releases.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Don't take me wrong, the Unication G series pagers are also excellent radios but their programming can be darn intimidating. And their cost must scare a lot of potential owners away. The P25RX is much more user friendly when you look at the cost.

It's been a long time since I've had so much fun messing around with something like the P25RX that I'd almost forgot what its like! I suppose being able to see a working screen will also be very welcome to many. I myself can get around it with no screen.
When I first bought the PSR800 with hardly any keypad, I figured the newness would wear off fast and the radio would end up in a closet somewhere. Boy was I wrong on that! I don't use the PSR800 mobile but it does a fantastic job scanning the rail channels for NXDN signals.
It also works almost equally as well as a new Icom IC-R8600 for the rail band in analog.

The P25RX is the best project radio I'd bought in years! I live for finding problems and attempting to find solutions for the problems.
Even though it's not a kit, just using it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling one gets. It's also a great project for messing with along with a nice hot cup of coffee on those frigged winter mornings and!

Last edited:

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Below is my orignal
Could the default in the Priority box on software box one beside sys id be defaulted to 0 or just left blank if you not going to use priority then if you are you could use the number 1. Also dont know if this would work but if it could may be talk group that is listed as number 1 be the highest priority and then the next one you want would follow with the number 2 and so on (Just Idea if this would be possible I know with my Unication G5 the talk group that is listed 1 or top is the talk group has the highest priority but dont know if that is
to much to ask so I would be fine with just listing the number beside which ever is simple to do if it can be done thanks

and your reply

yodermans said:
Could the default in the Priority box on software box one beside sys id be defaulted to 0 or just left blank if you not going to use priority then if you are you could use the number 1.
I think that does make sense. Then we could just get rid of the pri_always command.

btt

Banned
Banned
@yodermans ,

Sorry, I guess I did get the priority backwards from what you were saying. Higher numbers should be lower priority is that correct? The reason I started with the value 2 to "enable" the priority override function is because the previous default everyone has in flash is a priority of 1. If I change the code to use 0-1 as disable priority, start with 2 as the highest priority and 3 being the next highest priority, etc, would that be a good change?

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Thanks for all you do for this community. Sorry, I've been off all week due to work, and just tried the latest "stable" version. While it works fine on whatever CC I add to the P25RX Configuration tab, the device no longer roamed on loss of signal. I monitor 5 systems, so I wiped the device using bootloader and restored to 2020-10-32-1527 which still works.

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
Hi,

Thanks for all you do for this community. Sorry, I've been off all week due to work, and just tried the latest "stable" version. While it works fine on whatever CC I add to the P25RX Configuration tab, the device no longer roamed on loss of signal. I monitor 5 systems, so I wiped the device using bootloader and restored to 2020-10-32-1527 which still works.
Hi turnpike61,

Thank you for testing/reporting. I just tested the roaming on loss of signal with version 2020-11-06_1342. It is working fine here. The configuration gets reset to defaults on this version. The "enable roaming" option is off by default. Could that be the issue?

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
Not for me. I noticed that, and turned it back on. On the signal insights tab, the signal stayed very high, and it stayed on the default CC and never moved. I tried changing the default CC, and it also stayed. I can try again. I made the mistake of assuming all would go well, and lost many new talkgroup edits I'd made because I hadn't back up since last weekend, so I have nothing to really lose at this point.

turnpike61

Premium Subscriber
You're right BTT, all seems well now. I think what I was seeing was a radio lockup, not a problem with the FW because now it's working fine. Thanks again.

btt

Banned
Banned
@turnpike61,
Thanks for trying again. Glad to hear it is working now. Sorry to hear about your loss of talk groups. I added some reminder notes to the download section regarding exporting talk groups before updating to the new version.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
How many characters can I have in the talk group editor for "Alpha Tags"? The reason I ask is because this version 2020-11-06 1342 it will only display five characters versus the twelve I believe I had before.....

btt

Banned
Banned
How many characters can I have in the talk group editor for "Alpha Tags"? The reason I ask is because this version 2020-11-06 1342 it will only display five characters versus the twelve I believe I had before.....
The max field length of the "Alpha Tag" and "Description" fields is 32 characters each as stored in flash memory. The format and length of the talk group records has not changed at all in the new version. The only difference is the new max number of records and the WACN being added (using bits that were allocated, but unused). In other words, nothing changed with regards to the length of anything. Can you send me a copy of your talk group csv and or tgp files?

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
@yodermans ,

Sorry, I guess I did get the priority backwards from what you were saying. Higher numbers should be lower priority is that correct? The reason I started with the value 2 to "enable" the priority override function is because the previous default everyone has in flash is a priority of 1. If I change the code to use 0-1 as disable priority, start with 2 as the highest priority and 3 being the next highest priority, etc, would that be a good change?
Good Morning thanks for all you are doing and Yes that is good with me no need to change it. So do we still use the same priority command

Status
Not open for further replies.