P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Hello all just updated to 11-06 1342 my unit is now logging talk groups not in my list allow unknown talk group is un checked. also now Say like I have talk group 40007 as fire dispatch it also logging it in the list as 40007 unknow

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
Hello all just updated to 11-06 1342 my unit is now logging talk groups not in my list allow unknown talk group is un checked. also now Say like I have talk group 40007 as fire dispatch it also logging it in the list as 40007 unknow
If you forgot to edit the WACN column to the correct value (defaults to 0xBEE00 or 0x00000 after the update), this could explain this. Let me know if this is not the case.

I am regretting adding the WACN field. I think it really only helped one person that I know of. Do you guys want me to remove it and put it back the way it was?

-edit: The other thing that could be done is to add an option to ignore the WACN field. I'll plan on adding an option for this.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I finally got around to running the latest test version. It deleted all my previous stored talkgroups. I assume this was due to the addition of the WACN field in the stored info. I saved and edited the csv file and added a WACN to my existing entries. They are back and working now. The only issue that I'm having (like some others apparently) is that I have the 'allow unknown talkgroups' box unchecked but as unknown ones are found they are automatically enabled and monitored. I like that they are logged in the system but if the default could be unenabled that would be preferred. As far as the WACN field goes, I do like having it, but I agree an ignore option would be better than just removing it. @btt the fact that you added the WACN field to help that one person out is what sets your product apart. The big guys have people screaming for small updates and are ignored. You listen and your dedication is noticed. Keep up the great work.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
-edit: The other thing that could be done is to add an option to ignore the WACN field. I'll plan on adding an option for this.

I think I like this 'option to ignore' the WACN field best. Although I do not have any systems that share the same SYSID, having the WACN option could be handy if ever needed. I tried looking for duplicate SYSID's in the RR database but it's not really setup to search the SYSID field using a wildcard so I could not create a list just to see how bad this problem is.
I input a few common SYSID guesses and did see where they are duplicated in some areas of the country so allowing the WACN option to be used is probably a good idea as long as it does not cause headaches for those not adding the needed WACN!
I lied earlier as I found that I do have a duplicate 010 SYSID here that is shared between a Harris P25 system at our power utility and a system at the Joint National Capital Region Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies which uses a system from an unknown manufacturer. The JNCR system is out of my normal range when at home so it's not been an issue with the P25RX so far. I can see where it could be an issue though even though I did not see any duplicate TGIDs between the systems. At least not yet.

I'd also ran into the 'unknown' talkgroup entries issue after upgrading to the first version that allowed for CSV export/import the day it was released. I was going to post about that issue but figured out the problem from the version notes on the BTConfig download page.
The lack of me adding the correct WACN with each of my talkgroups was indeed what was causing the same issue that @yodermans mentioned.
Since I had the issue, I added the WACN to all my TGs, I've not had another duplicate but unknown TG logged unless it really was unknown.
Adding the correct WACN's to my CSV export was very easy using Excel.

For the allow unknown talkgroups thing, I've always allowed them so I've not seen an issue with that. I prefer to monitor them so I can start trying to ID them. As long as those I uncheck for monitoring stay silent, it's all good!
I also like the feature of BTConfig unchecking those new TGs where encryption is detected. That works well for the most part. I have seen it pass new TGs that are encrypted as in the clear so they remain checked for monitoring. 9 times out of 10 though, BTConfig gets it right and unchecks encrypted talkgroups so I don't consider this a problem. I think it's probably just the fact that the ENC flag may not always be seen when a new TG is logged. And even when an encrypted TG slips through the cracks and is checked for monitoring, the P25RX itself has always done a great job of going about its business and skipping encrypted chatter so it's never been heard. I'm not certain but leaving the encrypted TGs checked for monitoring here does not seem to slow down the search for active TGs when it does detect a TG using encryption that has not been ignored. Even though BTConfig is set to monitor the encrypted TG, the P25RX seems to override that and continues looking for another active TG which is perfect in my opinion.
I do have some TGs here that have a mix of in the clear and encrypted RIDs. The P25RX handles this situation just fine and monitors the voice traffic when it's in the clear but searches for new TGs when the radio switches to a user that's using encryption.

Other than the minor stuff above, all is well and the P25RX has been a joy to use!

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I am regretting adding the WACN field. I think it really only helped one person that I know of. Do you guys want me to remove it and put it back the way it was?

I also would prefer a checkbox to ignore the WACN field rather than remove it. Universal, or on a system by system basis, I don't know.

Mike_G_D

I have definitely been having problems with the duplicate "unknown" talk groups and in my case, at least, it's starting to really drive me crazy! I have cleaned everything out exported to Excel, filled all the WACN's in correctly, as far as I can tell, reset and reloaded numerous times and STILL I get "unknown talkgroups" which are absolutely known and unchecked in the list with the correct WACN! The killer ones are the EMS talk groups because they talk so long and cause me to miss other traffic.

I am really starting to think I may have some corruption in the unit's flash memory which means these known but not selected talk groups are not getting erased in the memory and keep coming back even though I have them in the list with aliases, correct WACN, and NOT selected so they are not supposed to be scanned.

I do also see occasional known and selected talk groups come up as "unknown" as well. But at least these are ones I want to hear.

I have not yet tried unchecking the "Allow Unknown Talkgroups" option only because, like kruser was saying, I do want to catch really previously "unknown" or at least not yet identified talk groups. But I may uncheck that option anyway and see if it helps.

In case I'm asked - yes, I have done a complete factory reset, etc. I just cannot seem to rid myself of this problem though I really do like the new Excel import/export feature and I do think the WACN field should stay. But, at least in my case, something is just not working right.

It can be really wierd - it almost seems like, when the unit stops on one of these "not really unknown" talkgroups and monitors it it may finally "figure out" that "oh...yeah, this is a known talkgroup that I shouldn't monitor so I guess I should move on" and it cuts off but usually at the end of the transmission (and usually doesn't wait the normal set delay time) but it then "forgets" all over again the next time around.

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
Thank you all for the feedback! After reading your replies, I can see that there are still bugs related to the recent talk group changes. I am working to get this resolved. Please try the new testing version.

There is a new testing release (11/12_0901). In addition to adding "enable WACN" option in the advanced tab, there have been some changes that may fix some of the reported bugs related to talk groups / "allow unknown talk groups".

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
I have definitely been having problems with the duplicate "unknown" talk groups and in my case, at least, it's starting to really drive me crazy! I have cleaned everything out exported to Excel, filled all the WACN's in correctly, as far as I can tell, reset and reloaded numerous times and STILL I get "unknown talkgroups" which are absolutely known and unchecked in the list with the correct WACN! The killer ones are the EMS talk groups because they talk so long and cause me to miss other traffic.

I am really starting to think I may have some corruption in the unit's flash memory which means these known but not selected talk groups are not getting erased in the memory and keep coming back even though I have them in the list with aliases, correct WACN, and NOT selected so they are not supposed to be scanned.

I do also see occasional known and selected talk groups come up as "unknown" as well. But at least these are ones I want to hear.

I have not yet tried unchecking the "Allow Unknown Talkgroups" option only because, like kruser was saying, I do want to catch really previously "unknown" or at least not yet identified talk groups. But I may uncheck that option anyway and see if it helps.

In case I'm asked - yes, I have done a complete factory reset, etc. I just cannot seem to rid myself of this problem though I really do like the new Excel import/export feature and I do think the WACN field should stay. But, at least in my case, something is just not working right.

It can be really wierd - it almost seems like, when the unit stops on one of these "not really unknown" talkgroups and monitors it it may finally "figure out" that "oh...yeah, this is a known talkgroup that I shouldn't monitor so I guess I should move on" and it cuts off but usually at the end of the transmission (and usually doesn't wait the normal set delay time) but it then "forgets" all over again the next time around.

-Mike

Don’t think it is your unit mine is doing the same thing I have checked unchecked deleted all started over still the same thing none of this happens until I upgraded and only reason I did that so the priority would work

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Don’t think it is your unit mine is doing the same thing I have checked unchecked deleted all started over still the same thing none of this happens until I upgraded and only reason I did that so the priority would work
Also I faith in BTT he will figure it out

btt

Banned
Banned

@yodermans,
Have you had a chance to try today's release? version 11-12_0901? If so, please let me know if you are still having issues. I will continue to work on this until it is resolved.

Also I faith in BTT he will figure it out

Thank you sir.

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
@yodermans,
Have you had a chance to try today's release? version 11-12_0901? If so, please let me know if you are still having issues. I will continue to work on this until it is resolved.

Thank you sir.

Will be home in about 30 mins and will try it thanks

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
To follow up on my earlier report of dropping DMR Con+ control channels and missed voice traffic, I can now conclude that this was a PEBCAP. (Problem Exists Between Computer And Person). When one is off by 1 MHz on the frequency for LCN2 these things happen...may I suggest a larger font option? :LOL: In the interim I will retrieve my magnifying glass and/or cheaters and slink back into the dark corner of this thread...

btt

Banned
Banned
@KC1UA,
Thank you for sharing what you found on that. I was trying out DMR again today, so it is good to know. This is why I need to get motivated to add DMR configuration backup/restore. It is still on my list of things to do. Please don't head off to any corners! : ). DMR wouldn't even be an option on the P25RX without all your help!

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed with 2020-11-12 0901 the TG lists are cut at 800. I tried re-importing from a csv and it won't import more than 800 TGs.

Mike_G_D

Well, unfortunately, for me at least, the new version, 11-12 0901, has not changed the behavior. And the new "Include WACN field in talk group lookup" option is NOT checked.

-Mike

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I tried 2020-11-12 0901. Completely unusable for me. The audio "hiccups" on and off about every 1-2 seconds. Plus the Signal Insights graph stops and starts in time with the "stuttering" audio. I reverted back to _1036 and all is well now.

EDIT: On the last few releases, the DMR "unknown talkgroup" issue returns. I find that I have to exit and the restart the software and then it usually works correctly. Plus, on the "DMR" tab, the option buttons "Backup to file" and "restore from file" are always greyed out.

Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
I have noticed with 2020-11-12 0901 the TG lists are cut at 800. I tried re-importing from a csv and it won't import more than 800 TGs.
Thanks for finding that. That limit found its way back in. I have that fixed in the latest testing version (back to max of 4915). That shouldn't happen again.

Thanks for trying it out everyone. I'm not sure what is going on here. I went ahead and made version 11-11_1036 the new "stable" in case you want to revert to that for now. I have no idea how 0901 would have affected audio at all.

-------------

-edit, I may have found the issue. Please try _1345 if you have a chance.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
_1345 still has the "unknown talkgroup" issue when starting up on DMR. Closing the program and then re-opening it solves the issue.

Frequencies on the DMR tab are not saved when upgrading firmware. Plus the Backup and Restore buttons under the DMR tab are greyed out.

Mike_G_D

I'm trying 1432 but still have the issue, just fyi.

Like everyone else here I know you're workong hard on this! This seems to be one of those expecially pesky bugs unless it is operator error on my part (which it might still be but I just haven't figured it out yet) or something unique to my unit.

Been super busy with work so haven't had that much time to experiment with this, unfortunately.

Thank you for all your efforts and attention to our reports!

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
have definitely been having problems with the duplicate "unknown" talk groups and in my case, at least, it's starting to really drive me crazy! I have cleaned everything out exported to Excel, filled all the WACN's in correctly, as far as I can tell, reset and reloaded numerous times and STILL I get "unknown talkgroups" which are absolutely known and unchecked in the list with the correct WACN! The killer ones are the EMS talk groups because they talk so long and cause me to miss other traffic.
Mike,
Can you please send me / post a screenshot of what this looks like in the talk group editor? It might help me figure this out. Please send it to the direct contact or e-mail if you don't want to post it public.

Status
Not open for further replies.