P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
Todd, I think just noticed that the P25RX does not pass FD alert tones. I am testing it now by holding on just a couple of applicable talkgroups. Has that been reported? We have a mix of DTMF, QCII Two Tone, and single tone.

EDIT - I actually see a couple of messages back in Aug about this. For some reason, all but one alert tone that I have is NOT being passed in audio.

Last edited:

rdlafore

Premium Subscriber
Todd, I think just noticed that the P25RX does not pass FD alert tones. I am testing it now by holding on just a couple of applicable talkgroups. Has that been reported? We have a mix of DTMF, QCII Two Tone, and single tone.
At least here, I have heard Cobb Fire's single 1khz alert tone on some dispatches.

Reactions: btt

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have not been able to reproduce this issue. What was the last version that worked for you? Do you see the normal scrolling of information in the console tab when the "NO SIG" is displayed? Is it possible that the "Enter Commands" option in the console was selected? This will cause what you are describing.
Okay, yes, the "Enter Commands" button was indeed selected. I un-selected it and now it seems to be working as intended. Chalk this one up to operator error. ;-)

Speaking of the "Console" tab: When I select "Enter Commands" from "Enable Logging", the data being displayed changes, but it continues to scroll. Is it supposed to do that? Can I enter commands while it's scrolling?

btt

Banned
Banned

EDIT - I actually see a couple of messages back in Aug about this. For some reason, all but one alert tone that I have is NOT being passed in audio.
For Phase I systems, I believe it is working correctly. At least I hear single-tone and dual-tones here. I attempted to add a "hack" for phase II systems to output a dual-tone of sorts during tone periods, but it is not correct. I plan on improving this at a future date.

Okay, yes, the "Enter Commands" button was indeed selected. I un-selected it and now it seems to be working as intended. Chalk this one up to operator error. ;-)

Speaking of the "Console" tab: When I select "Enter Commands" from "Enable Logging", the data being displayed changes, but it continues to scroll. Is it supposed to do that? Can I enter commands while it's scrolling?
Thanks for the update! What are you seeing scroll by when in the "enter commands" mode? I'll get that fixed.
-edit: I think I found the reasons for scrolling of info in the "enter commands" mode. Was fixed, but was reverted yesterday. Should be fixed in version 2021-01-04_1313.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update! What are you seeing scroll by when in the "enter commands" mode? I'll get that fixed.
-edit: I think I found the reasons for scrolling of info in the "enter commands" mode. Was fixed, but was reverted yesterday. Should be fixed in version 2021-01-04_1313.
Okay; what I am seeing when "Enter Commands" is selected under the "Console" tab" (General example):

$TDMA GRANT_02, Freq. 773.13125, Talkgroup 11006, Slot 1
TDMA grant aborted

Similar data repeats.

FP761

Premium Subscriber
Hello Todd. I am very interested in your P25RX device for use in Lancaster County, PA. Will your device work on our System, which is the UHF T-Band (470-512 Mhz)? I entered our Zip-Code (17601) in the "Search DB for CCh", and our System does not appear. Perhaps 470-512 Mhz is simply an omission in the DB Search function or is their an RF limitation to the device? I am ready to purchase if capable for this frequency range.

FP761

Premium Subscriber
Hello Todd. I am very interested in your P25RX device for use in Lancaster County, PA. Will your device work on our System, which is the UHF T-Band (470-512 Mhz)? I entered our Zip-Code (17601) in the "Search DB for CCh", and our System does not appear. Perhaps 470-512 Mhz is simply an omission in the DB Search function or is their an RF limitation to the device? I am ready to purchase if capable for this frequency range.

Sorry. I found information in the User's Manual that indicates "380 to 490 continuous coverage P25 UHF", which will cover the "Receive" frequencies for our System. Perhaps it is only a "Search DB for CCh" issue? I will purchase a P25RX when inventory is back in stock. I sent an email via your website Contact Form.

Last edited:

btt

Banned
Banned
Sorry. I found information in the User's Manual that indicates "380 to 490 continuous coverage P25 UHF", which will cover the "Receive" frequencies for our System. Perhaps it is only a "Search DB for CCh" issue? I will purchase a P25RX when inventory is back in stock. I sent an email via your website Contact Form.
The DB embedded in the BTConfig software is derived from the FCC database. It hasn't been updated since June of last year. The other reason that your site may not be in there is because some state-managed systems are not in the federal database. You can manually enter the frequencies.

NYG

Question while I wait for these units to be stocked again. How much processing is done on PC? Since the P25RX is self contained and portable I'm guessing the front end software is to program and view outputted data. I'm just asking because I'm curious if I can use an old 8 inch windows 10 based tablet for the front end software.

btt

Banned
Banned
Question while I wait for these units to be stocked again. How much processing is done on PC? Since the P25RX is self contained and portable I'm guessing the front end software is to program and view outputted data. I'm just asking because I'm curious if I can use an old 8 inch windows 10 based tablet for the front end software.
The BTConfig software doesn't require much processing power. I would guess that any hardware capable of running Windows 10 that allows for Java 8 (or greater) to be installed will work.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
I need some clarification regarding data entry on the P25. In order to scan a different site on the same system, do I need to enter that specific site somewhere? In my case it's a Moswin system (053). I have the primary control channel set in the configuration and all the other control frequencies in Roam. I am only asking because on my Unication G5 I need to list the site number for each. I am wondering this could be the reason for my reception issue when I travel south to the Branson area from Springfield.....:unsure:

btt

Banned
Banned
WORS,
It appears that you need to transition from 773.03125c to 161.875c when heading from Springfield to Branson. I'm going to assume that you have both of these frequencies in your roaming flash/list. Based on my experience, I would look at a Tram 150/450 antenna. The model I have is an 1182. It will do an excellent job @ 161 MHz. While it will attenuate @ 773, the P25RX has a very low internal noise floor and so it will still work well at extremely low signal levels. The Tram 1182 antenna is the only antenna I have found that works well in almost all circumstances (from VHF to 1 GHz). (when mounted on a proper structure). Just a thought. Hopefully others will have some ideas to interject as well.

Last edited:

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
WORS,
It appears that you need to transition from 773.03125c to 161.875c when heading from Springfield to Branson. I'm going to assume that you have both of these frequencies in your roaming flash/list. Based on my experience, I would look at a Tram 150/450 antenna. The model I have is an 1182. It will do an excellent job @ 161 MHz. While it will attenuate @ 773, the P25RX has a very low internal noise floor and so it will still work well at extremely low signal levels. The Tram 1182 antenna is the only antenna I have found that works well in almost all circumstances (from VHF to 1 GHz). (when mounted on a proper structure). Just a thought. Hopefully others will have some ideas to interject as well.
I do have the 161.875 in the roam file although, I only have the 773.03125 set up as primary under the configuration tab. The antennas I have tried are the Browning BR-136 (no ground plane required) 136-174/380-520/698-960, the Scan-lll from Compactenna 136-174/378-520/698-960 and the Larson 150-165/450-470/750-870 which should be delivered tomorrow. All are NMO mounts on the car. I have four NMO mounts on the car placed at different locations. I am utilizing the mount on the front fender for the scanner antennas. I have not tried a Tram 1182. I have shut off all the other transceivers to eliminate any possible de-sense or any radio oscillator issues.

Sorry, this is probably a way off topic for this forum....:unsure:

btt

Banned
Banned
There is a new "stable" version of the firmware available: 2021-01-01_1304. This is what will ship with the next round of receivers. (unless issues are reported). Thank you all for testing / reporting. The firmware and software are reported to be in very good shape now.

btt

Banned
Banned
I do have the 161.875 in the roam file although, I only have the 773.03125 set up as primary under the configuration tab. The antennas I have tried are the Browning BR-136 (no ground plane required) 136-174/380-520/698-960, the Scan-lll from Compactenna 136-174/378-520/698-960 and the Larson 150-165/450-470/750-870 which should be delivered tomorrow. All are NMO mounts on the car. I have four NMO mounts on the car placed at different locations. I am utilizing the mount on the front fender for the scanner antennas. I have not tried a Tram 1182. I have shut off all the other transceivers to eliminate any possible de-sense or any radio oscillator issues.

Sorry, this is probably a way off topic for this forum....:unsure:
Seems on-topic to me. Will be curious to hear how the Larson antenna does for you. Have you tried putting the 161.875 MHz frequency in as the primary? It may be that the VHF system utilizes the multi-block style messages and doesn't have time to build the base frequency table before the receiver switches to the next channel. I'm planning on adding support to keep track of up to 16 active control channels in ram persistently, but that has not been implemented yet. I'm going to take a stab at adding support for this today. Stand by.

Status
Not open for further replies.