• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7100IP SYSGRP# limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I currently have a limit of 128 groups on my P7100IP. I thought that this was 'per system' figure since it allows 255 systems. But that obviously isn't the case since I can't access any groups after the 128th one regardless of how I arrange the personality.

I assume because RPM actually lets me send more groups than that to the radio that this upgrade is simply achieved by purchasing a feature key.

The question is how much and where?

DisasterGuy

You need to contact an ASC and be prepared to provide them with the serial number and current feature string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The group, system, and channel limits are universal per radio. As you figured out.

Max groups for a 7100 is 1024 groups but some have 65,535 as max groups, however that isn't a real group capacity.

I don't know the TRUE max capacity but I do recall that RPM has a limit of 1024 unique group names possible in one radio. To go beyond that point you would have to reuse group names.

Or at least, that's how I remember it. It's been a while since I explored this.

kg4frf

tampabaynews please keep us informed. I also have a P7100 that has a 128 limit on it, I also assumed it was per system. Came across the issue this weekend. I'd like to upgrade the radio to max limit (1024) if it's not too expensive.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Find a Harris dealer that's NOT your local dealer. I had good success with Williams Communications in Tallahassee, FL.

If you are in an area that has a Harris system served by, for example, ABC Radio Company, then odds are that ABC Radio company won't help you.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I will look into it. I'll probably get a hold of the shop that sold me RPM. If the upgrade is too expensive I might as well buy another radio.

Thanks.

kg4frf

I just looked on the Harris PSPC Info Center Website and they show the Feature Encryption Price List, For Field Upgrades, dated Jan. 24, 2014. For a P7100, Option YRPL3R, '1024+ System/Groups', $215.00.

I paid $100 (Ebay) for the P7100 (128 SysGrps) but it has ProVoice, so investing $215 may be worth it. Wonder if there's "wiggle" room on that price, it will be interesting to see.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
ElroyJetson is right on. I went with Williams for the upgrade. Great group of folks. The going rate is $215 for the YRPL3R upgrade. I called a half dozen places and got the same rate.

The radio *says* the sysgrp limit is now 65K plus. I won't be using anywhere near that but it's nice to know I can put everything I want to monitor.

I appreciate the help EJ.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
You'll find that the actual limit in an "unlimited" radio (showing 65K group capacity) is the number of group names. You can only have, if I remember this right, 1024 unique group names in the radio.

So if you are going to load up a REALLY big radio file, consider reusing group names as often as possible.

That's not difficult as you can probably use names like patrol 1, patrol 2, supervisor, talkaround, tac 1, tac 2, etc for most agencies you listen in on.

But I don't think this is a limit you're likely to encounter much in the real world. Not unless you load up your radio with EVERYTHING in the whole state. Which I've pretty much done.

Status
Not open for further replies.