• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7100ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrothwell

Hello,

I have a P7100ip that displays HARDWARE ERR=0069 as well as ERR=0067 and reboots ONLY when receiving ProVoice digital voice. The radio transmits in ProVoice without issue and transmits and receives in analog as well as on a EDACS standard system without issue.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jason

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The hardware error you give is for communications issues between the DSP and CPU. There is a RARE chance the radio code/dsp flash is incompatible and causing issues but those errors are the equivalent to a broken rod in an engine and changing the oil wont help fix that. Best bet is to locate a donor board and swap it out or, if you have deep pockets, let Harris have a look at it. My guess is they will just swap the board and ding you for a couple hours bench fee.

jrothwell

Someone mentioned that this could happen on a system that uses ESK and the radio is not programmed with an ESK. Does that sound right?

jrothwell

I think I may have figured it out. The system is using Extended Addressing and I programmed it as a regular EDACS system with ProVoice. From what I just discovered, it seems that it is called EDACSip and if I program is as an EDACSip system, it should work fine.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
That is possible, that doesn't really jive with the error code but depending on the version of radio code / dsp you are running, the extra bits from the EA portion of stream could be overflowing a buffer somewhere and making it crazy.

Come to think of it, I think I read back when we were figuring out ProVoice and DSD that the status words sent during a PV transmission were very different on an EA system, maybe the CPU/DSP aren't handling that correctly?

That's a pretty nasty error to get but you might be on to something there, I'm curious to know if changing it to an EDACS-IP system fixes anything.

LMR_Dude

Those errors refer to the DSP either not repsonding to requests or perfoming write functions. If it were on my bench I'd reload DSP and verify my DSP was appropriate.

jrothwell

Those errors refer to the DSP either not repsonding to requests or perfoming write functions. If it were on my bench I'd reload DSP and verify my DSP was appropriate.

Thanks. The FLASH VER: J2R11B01 and the DSP VER: F8R03C01. FEATURES: 01 04 07 08 09 10 12 21 22 23 29.

I have already backed up the DSP and did a recovery. I am still getting the same error code when receiving ProVoice only.

Does the DSP look appropriate? If not, do you have one that is that you could send me?

LMR_Dude

I can tell you the flash/DSP combo you have is intended for "analog, p25 trunked unencrypted, aegis-unencrypted and ProVoice unencrypted" operating in either the 800MHZ or UHF band, according to the software release notes.

I don't have any software to provide you only moderately experienced technical opinions.

com501

R11 is really old. Why aren't you using an RPM version of a much newer vintage? Even 16 would be better than what you have.

Convert your personality and load it in RPM and bring your flash and DSP up in version. That may fix your error. If not, replace the DSP and re-run the burnapp and bootapp.

jrothwell

R11 is really old. Why aren't you using an RPM version of a much newer vintage? Even 16 would be better than what you have.

Convert your personality and load it in RPM and bring your flash and DSP up in version. That may fix your error. If not, replace the DSP and re-run the burnapp and bootapp.

Thanks. It comes down to budget. I currently have ProGrammer and that flash version is the latest that will work with ProGrammer I believe. If my DSP is corrupt, where would I get a copy of the same DSP file that is not corrupt so I can replace it?

com501

If the hardware is damaged, you will need to replace the DSP hardware on the board and then reinitialize the radio. If you don't have a current sub for RPM and Programmer, this is going to be difficult to accomplish, there are files you need that can't be obtained unless you are a valid user.

FMR will repair these also, and usually less costly than Harris. That is another option. I doubt that your software is corrupted, you have a hardware issue. If you do send this radio in, regardless of whom you send it to, it will come back with the latest and greatest, which means you will need newer programmer (R20C currently) or downgrade the radio back to your version after repair. At this stage, I am assuming you are using R18B?

snoopyII

I agree with the general consensus here, I'm pretty sure you have a hardware issue. One more thing to check, related to appropriate DSP. You need to know how old the radio is. Early P71's prior of March of 2005 used the G series DSP, not F. Look on the Mfg tag on the back of the radio, you should see a "SD" and then a number starting with 04 or greater. If its 04xx or 0512ish or less, you need the G series DSP. Radio Maint. will also tell you this, look to see if the board is "Direct FM" (= F DSP) or "MOD I&Q" (= G DSP). The good news here, ProVoice P71's are dirt cheap in ebay now, to finding a replacement shouldn't be tough, or too expensive.

jrothwell

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I was able to get my hands on another P7100ip radio and I am still having the same exact issue. So, I can rule out any issue with the hardware or the software in the radio. It must the the system or the programming. I am trying to monitor the MBTA ProVoice system in Mass. Any ideas what would cause an error like this if not hardware or software?

jrothwell

Did it show that error BEFORE you programmed it?

What radio code and DSP are in the radio?

It's possible that you might have an incompatible firmware/DSP combination in the radio so provoice doesn't work right.

When I received the radio, it had a simplex ProVoice frequency already programmed and it worked fine. Currently, I have programmed both radios with a simplex ProVoice frequency and they both can talk to eachother without issue. It's only when I am receiving audio from the ProVoice EDACS system that I get the hardware error on both radios. There are no other ProVoice systems in the area that I can program in RX only to see if I get the same error.

Both radios:
Flash: J2R11B01
DSP: F8R06N05 (have also tried DSP: F8R03C01)

Thanks!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Does anyone here have the flash/DSP/ADI matrix sheets handy? It's worth checking to see if that firmware and DSP combination is recommended.

I run F9 code DSP in my radios and I listen to ProVoice every day. No problems.

But I'm also running J2R18H09 code and I use RPM to program these days.

I think I still have a couple of radios running J2R11-something. I'd have to dig them out and check.

F4 code may also work for you. F9 is hard to get as it's restricted, but it supports everything including AES encryption.

snoopyII

I have a few matrix sheets saved. Unfortunately, Harris assumed that you upgraded your Flash/DSP combination as you upgraded your RPM through the years. So, there are no footnotes about having a newer DSP in combination with a ProGrammer level DSP. I've personally had a radio with J2R11C02 and F8 series and don't recall any problems. The only thing I can find is that F7,8 and 9 don't support EDACS IP (extended addressing). I'm not very familiar with EA at all, and the RR DB doesn't really indicate whether the MBTA system is EA or not. Maybe someone else can speak to that.. I do agree, that if both radios are working in ProVoice Simplex, it definitely looks like a software issue now rather than a hardware one. Do you have a F4 DSP? jr, I'll send you a email in your PM, shoot me a copy of your personality and I'll take a look at it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.