• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7200 Adjust Audio Treble Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4frf

I read thread: "Taming the Tinny Sound of a Jag 700P", and it referred to Audio Level Equalization, however that option doesn't work on the P7200. I found in the Rev.f of the P7200 User Manual, Section 8.21 Adjust Audio Treble Level. It refers to a 'Treble Menu' which I can't find in RPM. It's called out a couple of times in the User Manual. My P7200 has that "tinny" sound and that treble level menu sounds like the fix, without a hardware mod. Can you RPM experts help me out, thanks in advance.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The BEST way to fix the poor audio quality of the P7100/P7200/P5100 series radios is to do this:

Remove the front cover from the radio.

Carefully pry the speaker out of the cover.

Get some ordinary electrical tape. 3/4 inch wide regular stuff.

Cut two pieces of electrical tape that are a bit shorter than the width of the speaker cone.

Apply these two pieces of tape to the face of the speaker in an X configuration.

Carefully reinstall the speaker using silicone adhesive. Be sure that you put it in in the same
orientation it came out.

Reassemble the radio.

Enjoy a considerable improvement in audio quality.

This does a lot more to improve audio quality than any softare adjustment.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I took a stab at this today but couldn't get the spanner nuts off from the volume and channel selector. Didn't really want to force it and break anything so I left it be. Need to find a proper tool for removing them.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
You don't need to remove the knobs at all to take the top cover off. The back plate pops off if you pry gently where the battery detent is on the back, under the 'hump'. From there it pulls up and over the knobs revealing the last 2 screws under it.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I couldn't get the cover apart. Took out the 6 screws in the battery compartment, then one under the foot of the belt clip. The bottom part of the radio would open up OK but I couldn't get the top to separate and I didn't want to force it. I'll take another look at it tomorrow.

FDRadioguy777

There are approximately 8 screws to release the front cover. Did you unscrew the two at the very top under the back cover?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
No I didn't get the back cover off... That's where I stopped. Thanks for the tips, I'll take another look at it.

FDRadioguy777

There is a little screw where the belt clip goes. That is what releases the back cover then you can pry that off and under it will be the last two screws.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Finally got around to opening the radio to today and installing the tape. Wow what a difference! Audio much more pleasant sounding and a lot less shrill.

Status
Not open for further replies.