• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7200 - Static Bursts/Tone not Decoding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

I recently got some extra surplus radios as I wanted something capable of 700mhz.
Two were P7200s - one was completely wiped of all firmware. They ended up both programming fine after new firmware/dsp, but they both get these immensely annoying bursts of "static" which is the "tone" that is played prior to a fire/emergency call, I guess not decoding properly (I assume - when I have another radio/scanner on simultaneously, I hear the tone, but on these, its loud static). This is on an EDACS system.

This doesn't happen in any of the other radios, including Jaguar 700Ps and P7100ips with the same exact personalities in them.
The feature list is:
01 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 12 21 22 23 29 33 39
The only feature that the P7200s dont have, that the others do, is 14, which I cant see how would have any effect on this.

TL;DR
As I said, when I have two radios next to each other (P7200 & 700/P7100), one plays the "tone" correctly (which sounds like a short control channel burst, if you arent familiar with EDACS), and the P7200 just bursts with static.
Ive tried simple things like squelch and data is off, with no change, so I dont know what this is.

ScubaJungle

Nope, no CC Scan, it's not having any trouble with that (or doesn't appear to, anyway). The tone varies in length, usually it is 1-2 seconds, but sometimes lasts longer (~5 seconds). The only way I can describe the tone without referencing EDACS is the buzzer at the end of a basketball game. This usually goes on before / after a fire call, and it may even be manually done by a dispatcher since the length varies.

Ill try to get a video/recording of it.

ScubaJungle

Let's see if this works, I'm having trouble finding hosting for the video:

The p7200 w static:

Jaguar with tone:

The tone you hear on the Jaguar is one of the tones, the other one sounds more like a buzzer but Ive been unable to grab it today. This gives you an idea of what I mean though.

ScubaJungle

SOrry about that - hopefully this works

That is only one of the tones though - I havent been able to catch the other, but its a buzzing sound like the end of a basketball game

Status
Not open for further replies.