P96- Listen to Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMS911

Premium Subscriber
On Pro 96...Is there a way to monitor a trunked tg/channel on Nashville's system? My scanner just gets digital noise when I hit "manual" to stay with that talkgroup once it becomes active. I am able to do this on other trunked systems, just not MN. Scanner setting or what ?

n4yek

When you hit the 'Manual' key you are taking it out of Trunking mode and it starts monitoring the Control Channel. On my Pro 95, if I want to follow a particular Talkgroup, I have to press down and HOLD the 'Trunk' key to make it hold on the talkgroup I want to monitor. It will say 'ID hold ON' when you get it.

Last edited:

jerk

EMS911 said:
On Pro 96...Is there a way to monitor a trunked tg/channel on Nashville's system? My scanner just gets digital noise when I hit "manual" to stay with that talkgroup once it becomes active. I am able to do this on other trunked systems, just not MN. Scanner setting or what ?
The pause key PSE, I believe, and I think function trunk will let scroll through and choose one if programmed.

But is something is happening at the moment and you want to keep listening, PSE key is the one you want.

n4yek

Page 86, Radio Shack Pro 96 Owners manual:
Talkgroup ID Hold
You can set your scanner to follow a trunking signal that you want to track during scanning.

While the scanner is stopped on a voice channel (VC appears next to the frequency in the display), hold down Trunk until ID hold ON appears in the scanner's display.

To manually activate ID hold mode on a selected ID, enter the ID list, scroll to the desired ID, then press FUNC TRUNK. The scanner will initiate ID hold operation on the selected talkgroup.

When ID hold is activated and the scanner receives a voice channel, the scan indication S at the first digit in the top line changes to H to indicate the the call is being monitored while the scanner is in ID hold.

To release ID hold, press SCAN or TRUNK.

EMS911

Premium Subscriber
RTM! should have done that first...thanks for the info. What about placing a trunked VC in priority position ?

Last edited:

n4yek

EMS911 said:
RTM! should have done that first...thanks for the info. What about placing a trunked VC in priority position ?
The Voice channel always changes in a trunk system, so doing that is pointless.
Look on my webpage here: http://www.qsl.net/n4yek/wait4.htm under 'Trunk Tracking scanners explained' and i have tried my best to describe what is happening with Motorola trunking.

Last edited:

EMS911

Premium Subscriber
Excellent post. I will pass this along to the comm center so they understand, simply, how the system allocates channels,uses talk groups,etc. Hopefully this will help them utilize inter-dept communications a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.