PA 700 MHz Air to Ground System

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
And I am more than willing to bet, that once the state PD get the new system up and running, it will probably be all encrypted. So, we will not be able to hear anything.

talviar

However- only a small fraction of the radio traffic is able to be heard on the air system. . . . . So don't go banking on that.

The APX7500 dual band mobiles that were purchased for VHF PSP Freqs and the second band (7/8 or UHF) to support local frequency use for local interop all had AES encryption enabled in them.

When investing the capital $$$ to buy new equipment the few hundred $$$ to add AES encryption is peanuts. Especially when buying several hundred (or more) radios at a time. The additional cost isn't that drastic to add encryption. . . . . And the back end infrastructure supports it at no additional cost. . . . . .

Just food for thought!

Septa3371CSX1

Yea i think it's going to be all encrypted.

I wouldn't go that far. Sure the APX units purchased have AES encryption but that doesn't mean every transmission from those radios will use that. My thinking is the routine traffic will be in the clear with sensitive traffic being encrypted. The radios having AES built in means the users can easily switch to a strapped encrypted channel no matter which system radio they are using.

So, reading all of this...what is the PSP new system to replace O.S., where can I find it in RR to reprogram scanner. Also the statewide 700 system is programmed as trunked and can hear both...do I really need the inputs. I usually don't program input frequencies...should I do this with all systems?? (I hope not...it took me three days to program all states in my area...)

Septa3371CSX1

So, reading all of this...what is the PSP new system to replace O.S., where can I find it in RR to reprogram scanner. Also the statewide 700 system is programmed as trunked and can hear both...do I really need the inputs. I usually don't program input frequencies...should I do this with all systems?? (I hope not...it took me three days to program all states in my area...)

As has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread the PA 700 MHz system is optimized for air traffic and cannot be heard on the ground in most parts of the Commonwealth. PSP talkgroups on the 700 system are also only active when an air unit affiliates with it.

You do not need the input frequencies to listen to a trunked system - just the outputs. Also with P25 systems you only need the control channels to monitor.

The new P25 system being licensed and getting ready to be built out is not in the database yet because it is not active. When a user notes activity on the system it will then start to appear in the database and you will be able to start programming your receivers for it.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
As has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread the PA 700 MHz system is optimized for air traffic and cannot be heard on the ground in most parts of the Commonwealth. PSP talkgroups on the 700 system are also only active when an air unit affiliates with it.

You do not need the input frequencies to listen to a trunked system - just the outputs. Also with P25 systems you only need the control channels to monitor.

The new P25 system being licensed and getting ready to be built out is not in the database yet because it is not active. When a user notes activity on the system it will then start to appear in the database and you will be able to start programming your receivers for it.

It was mentioned earlier that the testing would start in NW PA this year, but may have been delayed. I'm in Erie, so what's the best way for me to look for activity? I've only got a BC396T, so can I tell anything with this scanner since it doesn't do Phase II? Also, I've been looking for licensing activity in Erie County by the state, and have seen nothing so far.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Are they using the 700 system throughout the state in the Pike county area or are they still on Open sky ?

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
I know it supplements it wondering what the status was if they are using it yet or not or coming close to using it in my area.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
It was mentioned earlier that the testing would start in NW PA this year, but may have been delayed. I'm in Erie, so what's the best way for me to look for activity? I've only got a BC396T, so can I tell anything with this scanner since it doesn't do Phase II? Also, I've been looking for licensing activity in Erie County by the state, and have seen nothing so far.

Might not hurt to monitor these frequencies for digital noise or, if you're lucky, morse id.

http://forums.radioreference.com/2548821-post42.html

Also, keep watching the thread that the above link references. W3DMV has provided much information there.

I think we're a long way from this proposed P25 system materializing though.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
The new P25 hybrid system is to begin testing in Warren County during FY16/17. Testing will expand to the counties surrounding Warren during the next fiscal year. Initial testing will not be done thru regular agency use...just the radio project folks.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I don't believe they will add additional sites to the 700 Air system. When they are airborne they can hit sites far away.

phillydjdan

Actually, if you watch the Congressional hearing posted further up in this thread you;ll see that the PSP commander now in charge of the system talks quite a bit about interopability and the lack thereof with the OpenScam system. I personally think they will employ encryption but not across the board.

marksmith

Actually, if you watch the Congressional hearing posted further up in this thread you;ll see that the PSP commander now in charge of the system talks quite a bit about interopability and the lack thereof with the OpenScam system. I personally think they will employ encryption but not across the board.
I am sure their interoperability is crap at this point.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
New DCNR users on the air-ground system:

Unit ID's:
5754108 - ID'd on air as "Lima Recon"
5754109 - ID'd on air as "Weiser Recon"
5754110 - didn't log voice traffic

Groups:
2247 - got a single affiliation from Lima Recon and the unidentified unit above, no voice.
2250 - caught brief voice comms from Lima Recon here calling any Lima unit, no ID on the channel
2251 - ID'd as "Region East" by Weiser Recon and "Aristes" which is the base for DCNR District 18. I wonder if this is Air Region East since there are three VHF repeaters, East, Central, and West. Did anybody copy Weiser Recon on VHF today?

Based on what I got, there must have been traffic on one of the other 700 sites the past few days because the traffic was only briefly showing up on the Geigertown site.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
New DCNR users on the air-ground system:

Unit ID's:
5754108 - ID'd on air as "Lima Recon"
5754109 - ID'd on air as "Weiser Recon"
5754110 - didn't log voice traffic

Groups:
2247 - got a single affiliation from Lima Recon and the unidentified unit above, no voice.
2250 - caught brief voice comms from Lima Recon here calling any Lima unit, no ID on the channel
2251 - ID'd as "Region East" by Weiser Recon and "Aristes" which is the base for DCNR District 18. I wonder if this is Air Region East since there are three VHF repeaters, East, Central, and West. Did anybody copy Weiser Recon on VHF today?

Based on what I got, there must have been traffic on one of the other 700 sites the past few days because the traffic was only briefly showing up on the Geigertown site.

I've been hearing more and more traffic off of the Harrison City Tower with what I believe to be MUCH better coverage in the Brownsville and New Salem areas which are a pretty good throw from that tower. I might have to open that list up to wildcards and keep a better eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.