PA air tanker drop question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to a local mountain fire and they called in an air drop. I wondered where these flights come out of ? Does the State contract this out or does the Forrestry Dept or DCNR have their own equipment?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
It's a contracted service. There are several tanker bases that are stood up around the state during wildfire season. The closest one to you would be Bedford. They also use Hazleton and Moshannon. There are fixed wing tankers and also some helicopters on contract for fire work, too. I don't know how many helibases there are right now. In the past, there has been one at Mount Pocono.

I think last year there were three tankers and one helo...probably the same this year, too. One plane at Bedford, Moshannon, and Hazleton and one helo at Mount Pocono. Maybe somebody else can chime in to confirm.

Last edited:

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Still have 3. BTW, have not heard any of the new VHF freq's in use with multiple fires in NE PA. They mention 800, but context is not clear. All old freq are active.

Same here in Cambria, no activity on the new frequencies. One of the Foresters radioed in the other day and said the 800 was not working and everyone had a portable and would be on the "old system, direct"

Warden1716a

Premium Subscriber
The Hopewell fire in Berks/Chester Counties have had air tanker and helio ops going on past day or so.

heaving alot of communication issues the terrain is horrible and portables are not getting out to the command staff at ICP.

the 800 system seems to work when the wind doesn't blow the comms guys from the IMT have been working to try to fix the issue but.....

I was in the Hopewell fire tower the past weekend on portable, coms to base and field units were horrible

here is a image of the air tanker in reading, pa from the April 4 fire in Lower Allsace Twsp Berks County

Attachments

• rdg air attack.JPG
    rdg air attack.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 963
Last edited:

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
Airtankers

The airtankers that is pictured an "AirTractor" are commonly referred to as "SEATs"
"Single Engine Air Tanker"

The Nat'l Airtanker Base Frequency is 123.975 am.

73, Rex

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
Tom (nd5y) Thanks for the update! I know that the FAA is having trouble with frequency assignments
but never thought they would mess with the Nat'l Airtanker Base freq.

BTW about10 days ago when the fires were burning SW of Denver the airtankers were flying out of
Metropolitain (Jeffco) airport and the tanker base was still using 123.975

73, Rex

Status
Not open for further replies.