PA "Closed Sky" system...or will it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
This come from a (person within an) infrastructure supplier contracted to integrate outside systems into the PA system.

They have been told to not precede any further on their part of the project because the system may get re-bid and possibly switch to another supplier and/or technology.

Direct from an employee of this un-named company... :eek:

Dave

doctordave

I certainly hope they abandon pursuit of the Open-Sky system. I've talked to many troopers who have been tremendously disappointed w/ initial testing - in areas that are supposedly fairly well served by MA-COM. Few states would have more challenging terrain for 800 penetration. In conrast, the troopers have actually been fairly satisified w/ the reliability of their VHF-Hi radios....perhaps some form of expansion/upgrade of this system will ultimately occur.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
This is a good thing...I hope the same thing happens in New York, which also has awarded a contract for MA/COM OpenSky...despite the fact that two neighboring states use Motorola APCO 25 digital trunking for state police (Connecticut and Massachusetts).
So much for mutual aid!

PhilaPoliceRadio

Premium Subscriber
I don't think this will ever work out. Covering some 46,000 sq. miles is tough. VoIP -- looking for some problems. How have the other system been with failures and everything? Anyone heard any feedback from anyone in Massachusetts from their ClosedSky system? I think OCTA is also on OpenSky.

Status
Not open for further replies.