PA Starnet - GE System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Whatever they are calling it now!!

Just curious if anybody found analog simplex frequencies like PENNDOT usses for flag crews? I noticed the switch tob 800Mhz is almost completed.. Most of the are State Police have switched except Philadelphia & Swiftwater full time unless the network goes down.

I also hear 155.4600 TAC 1 still in use often with most departments.

If anybody has the other analog frequencies let me know, been monitoring a few but nothing yet.

Thanks
Steve

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Whatever they are calling it now!!

Just curious if anybody found analog simplex frequencies like PENNDOT usses for flag crews? I noticed the switch tob 800Mhz is almost completed.. Most of the are State Police have switched except Philadelphia & Swiftwater full time unless the network goes down.

I also hear 155.4600 TAC 1 still in use often with most departments.

If anybody has the other analog frequencies let me know, been monitoring a few but nothing yet.

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

All the radios I have seen only have two simplex channels in them other than the national calling and national interop tac repeaters and talkaround. This is the note I put on the STARNET page:

Conventional Channel Mode:

Portables and mobiles can be operated in a conventional mode that includes the nationwide 800MHz interop calling and repeater frequencies in both repeated and simplex mode. Also included are two statewide talkaround channels using 851.4375. The frequency is used in either an analog mode with a 156.7 PL or in P25 digital mode with a $293 NAC. PennDOT often uses the simplex channels for traffic control details. Some radios on the system were still using 866.4375 (in digital or analog) as the talkaround frequency as of mid-2009. Rebanded equipment will use the 851MHz frequency.

I guess there could be some law enforcement specific simplex channels, but good luck finding them. The freq that PennDOT flaggers use is supposed to be a standard statewide simplex channel. Considering the secure nature of the system (encryption on top of a non-monitorable digital format), I don't really think that law enforcement folks would be using many off system channels.

Edit: Forgot to note that it is not just a quick flip of the knob to go from the network to a simplex channel. To go from the system to a simplex channel, you need to turn off the radio and boot it up in talkaround mode. I have not done this yet, but that's what other users have told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.