PA State Police on pro106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depmodeche

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I just bought a pro106 and I loaded Philly, Bucks, and Montco... but I'm confused about loading the State Police. Are there any conventional frequencies still active? And can I monitor the State Police DIGITAL frequencies on my Pro106?

Thanks very much!

vinzep491

Dep,

No, you can not load the state system into your digital scanner. They use Opensky, which does not allow scanner makers to replicate their software. The ONLY way to listen to that system is to have a radio assigned to the network.

Their old conventional channels in the 150's are used from time to time, in some places more than others. Some have noted that the old TAC2 channel has been used as an informal car to car frequency for chit chat. You may also hear the old dispatch channel assignments in use when the Opensky system is experiencing issues or reception problems. They also revert to the old system for air to car operations during speed traps. Other than that, you're in the dark.

It is worth a shot to program them (the old 150's) in, but use is far and few between.

As for Philly, you will have your hand full with alot to monitor with their TRS. They are currently updating their system ,and there is talk that it will block out scanner listeners as well, but that is in the distant future. For now just have fun monitoring what you can... the state police is a lost cause. :(

The Facts OpenSky - The RadioReference Wiki
More Facts Talk:OpenSky - The RadioReference Wiki
The Debate http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-forum/78271-opensky-scanners.html
The State Attempting to Brainwash http://www.radio.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/public_safety_radio/485

Depmodeche

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I was afraid that was the case but I was hoping I was wrong. Missing out on PSP is a bummer. Where in the data base is the conventional frequencies you suggested I monitor?

Thanks for your help!

Depmodeche

Premium Subscriber
Ok, thanks very much. A few weeks ago when my pro-96 inexplicably stopped picking up bucks, I checked out the PSP bank of conventional frequencies I'd had in there for years and I did in fact hear some chatter. I don't recall what exactly, but I think it was something on the turnpike.

I'll post on here if I hear it again.

Thanks again!

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
You will still get some turnpike chatter. Hard to pick out the state police sometimes. Sometimes they use the conventional freqs for tactical stuff but that seems to be few and far between.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

PSP units are still utilizing the Turnpike Commission radios system, to varying amounts.

vinzep491

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

PSP units are still utilizing the Turnpike Commission radios system, to varying amounts.

Yes, and unfortunatly this is the only situation in the state where we have a good chance to hear some activity, expect with those rare occassions

Status
Not open for further replies.