PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There's a Site 111 somewhere in NEPA. Control channel is (unfortunately) 161.825, so it's another one of those PC - Public Coast Station, Auctioned licenses that aren't site-specific in ULS. It's showing up as a neighbor to Site 101 Shickshinny (LUZE04).

BM82557

@N3BGA where were you when you picked up site 107 on 161.85? I'd like to get a bit recording of that site's control channel so that I can test a fix to sdrtrunk for the invalid frequency information.

I'll be in Bedford, PA right after Christmas, so if the site is near there, I can make some recordings. I made recordings of the Somerset site this past summer, but I can't seem to find them.

cheers,
Denny

Denny posted this on the SDRTrunk Google Groups forum -

"I updated the README on the website with minimum system requirements.

I found/fixed a bug with the frequency calculations detailed in the RR posts you listed. The issue was with channels that use a different frequency band for each of the uplink and downlink channels. It was using the uplink frequency band to calculate the frequency for both uplink/downlink. This was probably causing problems for folks monitoring traffic channels on systems setup this way. Thanks for the bug reports.

I still have to test the fix against some of the STARNET sites next week.

Denny"

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
There may be an active CC on 153.21 in Delco. If anyone would like to check.. :unsure: Not sure just too far away..

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
153.215 @ Newtown Square (DELA64)?
Yes, IDK.. Was reviewing recordings from 12/15 while in the Oxford area. The signal was too weak to register properly a NAC, sounded P25 though, Just not sure..

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes, IDK.. Was reviewing recordings from 12/15 while in the Oxford area. The signal was too weak to register properly a NAC, sounded P25 though, Just not sure..

Nothing for Newtown Square on my G5 this morning. I will check from other locations over the next couple days as I travel around. I thought the two Newtown Square sites would not be online until Q1 2020.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
There may be an active CC on 153.21 in Delco. If anyone would like to check.. :unsure: Not sure just too far away..

This signal has been present here all along. I have pinned it down to the BASF facility in Newport Delaware. ( WPLT404 (BASF Colors and Effects USA LLC) FCC Callsign Details ) I have pretty much positively confirmed by watching the data and comparing to license details.
It has always made me curious how they could light up Newton Square with this strong signal present. In the back of my mind I attributed the delay in firing up Newton Square to them seeking another frequency to use.

The BASF signal is data only and quite active. Also, there is another intermittant signal which is slightly off frequency but quite strong belonging to Transcontinental gas pipeline co. which transmits data bursts regularly.

The 153.215 freq is anything but "quiet" here in the area of the NS site.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
This signal has been present here all along. I have pinned it down to the BASF facility in Newport Delaware. ( WPLT404 (BASF Colors and Effects USA LLC) FCC Callsign Details ) I have pretty much positively confirmed by watching the data and comparing to license details.
It has always made me curious how they could light up Newton Square with this strong signal present. In the back of my mind I attributed the delay in firing up Newton Square to them seeking another frequency to use.

The BASF signal is data only and quite active. Also, there is another intermittant signal which is slightly off frequency but quite strong belonging to Transcontinental gas pipeline co. which transmits data bursts regularly.

The 153.215 freq is anything but "quiet" here in the area of the NS site.

If it is BASF and you're hearing digital, they are probably DMR repeaters -- after all, the license notes DMR emissions. So somebody within earshot should be able to identify more than just "its digital".

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Thanks all, (y)
The BASF Plant is the most likely culprit, In the past I've picked up what seemed like a DMR signal on the frequency. Other times I've heard data bursts as well.. (most notable from around the Downingtown/W Chester area) The frequency is definitely not quite..
Sorry for sounding a false alarm.. :LOL:

Now that I've looked at he BASF license, I'm sure that's what I was picking up. Dunno why it says Newport.. The transmitter is North of Newark (Even closer to me than Newport)

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There's a Site 111 somewhere in NEPA. Control channel is (unfortunately) 161.825, so it's another one of those PC - Public Coast Station, Auctioned licenses that aren't site-specific in ULS. It's showing up as a neighbor to Site 101 Shickshinny (LUZE04).
Another mystery site in NEPA: Site 106 with an NTIA control channel of 168.9125 and alt CC of 170.625, NAC 942, and the only site it's announcing as a peer is Site 108 New Milford (SUSQ06). I suppose that might make it a good fit for being located at Montrose (SUSQ86), where there is no FCC license.

phillydjdan

I'm sure someone knows but probably won't say, but does anyone have any firsthand knowledge about the actual codeplugs in the state radios? I'm very curious what the site preferences are in the areas that have both VHF and 700/800 bands. I'm wondering if they have them set to "prefer" VHF and offer 700/800 as an alternative if the VHF signal is less than desired. It may help people trying to monitor by site if we know which band the agency leans towards more. I would assume that even in urban areas the mobile radios would prefer VHF but it's possible the portables are favoring 700/800 when in buildings. Thoughts?

N3BGA

Premium Subscriber
There is still the open question of what is going on at FULT01 and FULT40, whether they are part of a simulcast pair now, or if one site has replaced the other, etc.

I visited both FULT01 and FULT40 again today. I was able to consistently decode the control channel on 151.2275 at both locations with the antenna disconnected, and very strong signal present with the antenna connected. They would seem to be a simulcast pair.

phillydjdan

From my home I can get decent decode on UniTrunker of Sites 070 (Devault VHF), 075 (Devault 800), 082 (Willow Grove VHF), 083 (Phila 800), 091 (Phila VHF) and 093 (Phila 700) with an SDR. Is there anything anyone needs off any of these sites? Which should I sit on? Right now the SDR is sitting on Devault 800 and Phila 800 but if anyone wants me to keep an ear on something else let me know.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I visited both FULT01 and FULT40 again today. I was able to consistently decode the control channel on 151.2275 at both locations with the antenna disconnected, and very strong signal present with the antenna connected. They would seem to be a simulcast pair.
Thanks for the report, very helpful sleuthing.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
From my home I can get decent decode on UniTrunker of Sites 070 (Devault VHF), 075 (Devault 800), 082 (Willow Grove VHF), 083 (Phila 800), 091 (Phila VHF) and 093 (Phila 700) with an SDR. Is there anything anyone needs off any of these sites? Which should I sit on? Right now the SDR is sitting on Devault 800 and Phila 800 but if anyone wants me to keep an ear on something else let me know.
It's always good to verify the neighbor site lists every once in a while, sometimes a new site pops up or the lists change slightly. The current lists we have are as follows for those 6 sites are:

Site 70: 1.68, 1.79, 1.82, 1.85, 1.89, 1.91
Site 75: 1.68, 1.76, 1.80, 1.83
Site 82: 1.70, 1.81, 1.89, 1.90
Site 83: 1.75, 1.81, 1.82
Site 91: 1.70, 1.79, 1.82, 1.89
Site 93: None

N3BGA

Premium Subscriber
It was my intention to visit Everett/BEDF03 today and confirm it as Site 107. I stopped about two miles out, west of the mountain, at a low spot along the river with line of sight to the mountain, and could not decode the site. It was similarly weak on US-30 east of Everett. With this information, I went further west instead of attempting to reach BEDF03.

The strongest I saw was near the intersection of US-30 and PA-56 west of Bedford. It was also strong near UPMC Bedford. It was weak near where PA-96 crosses the turnpike.

Some other suggestions between the forum, wiki, and looking at other nearby STARNET sites and ASRNs are:
* BEDF601 - good, central location
* BLAI02 - it would probably have neighbor sites in Huntingdon?
* FULT05 - too close to FULT01?
* SOME04 - too close to SOME02?
* BEDF30 (ASRN-1253658) - near Hyndman, PA